Advice For Overstayer

Hello all, I could use some advice. I know my description of the problem will make it seem like I am VERY airheaded. I've been working here 5 years and have not overstayed before. It's just been a crazycrazy time lately.

In January I started the work permit process on a new Non B 3 month visa. I was being helped by a secretary at my new university. When I got my work permit (initially valid to 14 April) the secretary told me we would have to make another visit to immigration and then once again to labor to get everything settled. At that time my visa was also valid to the 14th of April.

To make a long story shorter, the secretary forgot the follow up visits and so did I. Just realized I am on overstay several weeks AND my work permit has expired. Have talked to the secretary and she has no useful information about what to do.

Originally, my current job was to go through July, but my plans have changed and I am planning to leave for the States at the end of this month. The semester has ended and I am no longer teaching, so I don't want to continue the work permit.

I have been planning to go to Siem Reap this Sunday overland (Aran/Poipet border) but now I don't know what to do. Would like to go to immigration office in BKK and clear everything up if possilbe, but tomorrow is a holiday.

Is this too complicated for me to solve simply by paying the (huge) fine at the border? Do the border guys know about my work permit when they check my passport?

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

Edited by billiebrickle

Don't think you should worry too much , but the best advice would be to fly straight to

your home country and pay the fine at the airport , from reports I read earlier it seems

the immigration at the airport are the least difficult .

For what I understand its better not to do it at a border cross point , but I'm sure other members

can tell you some more about it , a month overstay is still not that much ( some had months or years )

but its still an overstay and if caught you could have some serious problems , so I think straight to

the airport to wherever as quick as possible if I were you !

Or take some legal advice from example Sunbelt Asia , they could go with you to the local

immigration office and clear the problem for you , they have done this before with much

heavier overstays , at least you could check it out and have a chat with them , and

have a peace of mind , good luck !

Edited by tijnebijn

Hello all, I could use some advice. I know my description of the problem will make it seem like I am VERY airheaded. I've been working here 5 years and have not overstayed before. It's just been a crazycrazy time lately.

In January I started the work permit process on a new Non B 3 month visa. I was being helped by a secretary at my new university. When I got my work permit (initially valid to 14 April) the secretary told me we would have to make another visit to immigration and then once again to labor to get everything settled. At that time my visa was also valid to the 14th of April.

To make a long story shorter, the secretary forgot the follow up visits and so did I. Just realized I am on overstay several weeks AND my work permit has expired. Have talked to the secretary and she has no useful information about what to do.

Originally, my current job was to go through July, but my plans have changed and I am planning to leave for the States at the end of this month. The semester has ended and I am no longer teaching, so I don't want to continue the work permit.

I have been planning to go to Siem Reap this Sunday overland (Aran/Poipet border) but now I don't know what to do. Would like to go to immigration office in BKK and clear everything up if possilbe, but tomorrow is a holiday.

Is this too complicated for me to solve simply by paying the (huge) fine at the border? Do the border guys know about my work permit when they check my passport?

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

Go to the airport, Pay the fine, Fly out, Come back happy, don't risk a land crossing.

Thats what I would do :-)

Good Luck

I would try to move up your departure flight to minimize fine and leave from airport one time. If you explain what happened it should only be the normal 500 baht per day fine for a short overstay like this. Keep a low profile until your departure.

Oh thank you all for this good advice. After sleeping on it I was also thinking that an overland crossing is not ideal and so am inclined to cancel the trip to Cambodia.

Frettfully studying my passport, I also realised that before I came in on the Non B visa in January (the 16th), I had done a series of 3 border runs with Thai Visa Run (not 2 as I had remembered) (This was while Chula was trying to decide whether to help me with the work permit or not...). So, really I am best off paying this fine and leaving for the States while the particulars of next year's job get worked out (new visa, new work permit). Right? I mean, would I even be able to go out and come right back in, even if I did it by flying to KL for instance?

Unfortunately, I can not move up my departure date-- really can't leave until the 30th. (Well I guess I could leave if I was caught and deported, but you know what I mean I think.) But I will be so nervous until then! Is it an option to go to the immigration office on Monday to pay the fine and get an extension?

I will be sure to let you know how this develops. I didn't go to Cambodia and now am waiting for Monday to check in with the university. The office worker who was helping me with the visa/work permit process says she will make some calls. I don't imagine this will help at all, but you never know of course.

Until I hear otherwise, the plan will be to get my ticket to the States leaving as soon as I am able, no later than the end of the month. By that time I think I will have maxed out on the overstay fine, making it one heck of an expensive trip home!

It's a good lesson though. After 4 years of having someone look after all these details for me (at my previous school) I am now 100% cured of forgetting to look after my own affairs, or believing a well-meaning staff person who says they'll take care of things.

In the meantime thank you for your great advice!

Just don't get caught between now and the 30th. Keep a very low profile.

That said, I lived in Thailand for 4+ years (never on overstay) and was never stopped and asked to show my passport and confirm I'm here legally. If I were you, I'd definitely skip the clubbing and nightlife.

From all the horror stories iv heard over here i would not ever go to a land border if i had more than 3-5 days overstay , get a cheap flight anywhere out of LOS and pay the fine at the airport , i believe that the border guards would almost without doubt arrest you and transport you back to Bangkok where you would be held until the fine is paid and a valid air ticket is produced ,

but i am sure you will get better advice in other posts

best of luck

colino

3 weeks ago I drove a country man with an overstay of 2015 days to the airport. He is already back with a valid Non-O visa. Before his departure he had to pay a fine of 20,000 Baht. No interview or any questions asked by the Immigration people!

You don't have to worry.

WCA

The main thing is to keep your head down and not bring yourself to the attention of the authorities.

As stated, the process at the airport is painless, unless you feel the pain of paying the money. :o

I would try to move up your departure flight to minimize fine and leave from airport one time. If you explain what happened it should only be the normal 500 baht per day fine for a short overstay like this. Keep a low profile until your departure.

Agreed. This is the right way to go. As low overstay as possible and dont get in tuch with police/immigration before your departure. Do it all at the airport when you are ready to leave the country. You will not have any problems. Just pay the 500 b/day fine.

Make sure you dont get in any "trouble" before you leave because you are now in Thailand illegaly.

Edited by atthorneysofthailand

From all the horror stories iv heard over here i would not ever go to a land border if i had more than 3-5 days overstay , get a cheap flight anywhere out of LOS and pay the fine at the airport , i believe that the border guards would almost without doubt arrest you and transport you back to Bangkok where you would be held until the fine is paid and a valid air ticket is produced.
I think this is either scare-mongering or maybe just ill-informed (in which case why post?). I crossed the border at Aranyaprathet with a 131 day overstay and several other ones ranging from 3 days up to about 40 days and never had a problem. I did have to make some excuses up once or twice but as for being arrested and dragged back to Bangkok if you are more than 5 days over..what planet are you on? Edited by inthepink

You risk arrest and deportation on any visa trip to border - police often check vehicles. Cambodia has also refused entry to those with overstay stamps in the past and that is automatic arrest for illegal entry on return to Thailand and deportation. Although the risk may be small; it is much smaller for exit from airport and that is the advise you will get from Immigration as well as most members of this forum.

From all the horror stories iv heard over here i would not ever go to a land border if i had more than 3-5 days overstay , get a cheap flight anywhere out of LOS and pay the fine at the airport , i believe that the border guards would almost without doubt arrest you and transport you back to Bangkok where you would be held until the fine is paid and a valid air ticket is produced.
I think this is either scare-mongering or maybe just ill-informed (in which case why post?). I crossed the border at Aranyaprathet with a 131 day overstay and several other ones ranging from 3 days up to about 40 days and never had a problem. I did have to make some excuses up once or twice but as for being arrested and dragged back to Bangkok if you are more than 5 days over..what planet are you on?

I have posted this before and as far as I know it is still the case. Nong Khai immigration told me that if someone went to them with "more than maximum overstay" ie 40 days at 500 baht that they were instructed to call the police to arrest the overstayer. They said the only way to leave Thailand with a large overstay was to go to 'Bangkok airport'.

I think this is either scare-mongering or maybe just ill-informed (in which case why post?). I crossed the border at Aranyaprathet with a 131 day overstay and several other ones ranging from 3 days up to about 40 days and never had a problem. I did have to make some excuses up once or twice but as for being arrested and dragged back to Bangkok if you are more than 5 days over..what planet are you on?

I have posted this before and as far as I know it is still the case. Nong Khai immigration told me that if someone went to them with "more than maximum overstay" ie 40 days at 500 baht that they were instructed to call the police to arrest the overstayer. They said the only way to leave Thailand with a large overstay was to go to 'Bangkok airport'.

More than 40 days is a bit of a difference than more than 3-5 days. I wouldn't encourage anyone to overstay but it seems to me that some holders of longer term visas seem to adopt a holier-than-thou attitude and enjoy scaring people in this situation.

More than 40 days is a bit of a difference than more than 3-5 days. I wouldn't encourage anyone to overstay but it seems to me that some holders of longer term visas seem to adopt a holier-than-thou attitude and enjoy scaring people in this situation.

In the eyes of the law, Overstay is Overstay be it 4 days or 400 days if you are unlucky enough to get caught.

No-one is acting on a "holier-than-thou attitude" nor do they "enjoy scaring people in this situation"

Why do you think that the laws might not apply to certain people ? Just because this is Thailand ?

Break the laws, Get Caught, Your In Trouble.

Same as any Country.

The OP got some great advice on his situation.

What planet are YOU on :o

131 Days overstay !!! Geeze, Thats no accident, Thats just taking the piss !