Can I Bring Food From Uk To Thailand

The general rule of thumb for most international travel is:

Processed foods--OK (especially if sealed in a can, vacuum-packed plastic, etc.)

Non-processed foods--not OK (fresh fruits, veggies, even dirt/sand is frowned upon).

I'd like to bring a few packs of each

if I got pulled would I be in trouble??

cheers L

Im sure its fine, i got pulled by customs going to Oz with the above listed and beans etc... they laughed and let them through.

You got pulled entering Australia with bacon, sausages and cheese, and they laughed it through!

Bullshit.

cheers LL

1. Why bother? You can get this stuff at the supermarket? Do you really need to bring in food that can go bad and put yourself at risk?

2. There is a reason why there are restrictions on certain products. Follow the rules and you will be ok.

Not black forest ham, la Vache Qui Rit cheese, Belgian chocolates and jams, Teissere sirop de menthe, Dutch pancake mix (not the spungi American type)

my preferred bottle of wine Luxembourg's Pinot gris premier cru and a few other things. Never got stopped at Bangkok airport.

No wonder I am approaching a 30kgs pack and one week to go before flying out/back :o

The bacon is (I assume) cured so will cope with so many hours of transit, the luggage hold should be cool enough. Sausages might be best bought locally, there is a German guy near Rayong that does some good work, and i think I have seen an English looking van driving round around Pattaya, if you are in this area that might help.

Good cheeses are expensive here so if you can cope with the minor melting that occurs in transit then I would speculate that bringing in a couple of Kg would not draw too much attention. I have done this in the past.

Never had a problem with bringing food in. I normally bring cheese in, freeze it first and then pack it in a cool bag. Most of my visitors normally bring stuff over for me as well, and they have never had a problem either.

As someone else said, I'd apply what Defra would consider ok for the UK.

I'd love to take some fresh season asparagus to someone I know in Thailand, but I won't :-( There's a reason these rules exist and we all have our responsibilities.

cheers L

Im sure its fine, i got pulled by customs going to Oz with the above listed and beans etc... they laughed and let them through.

You got pulled entering Australia with bacon, sausages and cheese, and they laughed it through!

Bullshit.

Gotta agree. That is completely unbelievable.

The Australian and NZ customs people are ruthless about this - there is absolutely no way they would have laughed anyone bringing in meat and cheese, whether it was declared or not.

Not black forest ham, la Vache Qui Rit cheese, Belgian chocolates and jams, Teissere sirop de menthe, Dutch pancake mix (not the spungi American type)

my preferred bottle of wine Luxembourg's Pinot gris premier cru and a few other things. Never got stopped at Bangkok airport.

No wonder I am approaching a 30kgs pack and one week to go before flying out/back :o

I've seen la Vache Qui Rit cheese for sale in Thailand, and Belgian chocolates (although maybe not the same ones).

Admittedly it's the sort of stuff that you only find in stock in Thailand when you're not looking for it.

cheers L

Bullshit.

Gotta agree. That is completely unbelievable.

The Australian and NZ customs people are ruthless about this - there is absolutely no way they would have laughed anyone bringing in meat and cheese, whether it was declared or not.

All baggage is X rayed and the incoming passenger form must be filled in correctly, it is a legal document, if not sure of an item declare it. You can be subject to large fines if you do not comply and the goods will be confiscated and destroyed.

cheers LL

Hi Lucky.

On my three trips to Thailand, I've never been questioned once, and I've never had my luggage inspected.

Having said that, if your "customs declaration" isn't truthful you're committing an offence.

If discovered you're subject to fines, and if serious enough, possibly more.

I did notice that the last time I entered (2 weeks ago) No Meat products were allowed. I was a bit upset about that as I had 4 pounds of vacuum packed yorkshire garlic sausage with me and another 6 pounds of vacuum packed dry cured bacon.

As nothing was asked I didnt volunteer any info and am now happily consuming said items.

regards

Freddie