Sure I think its surprisingly expensive too, but that is besides the point. People transact at those levels, so that it is the market price.

Perhaps it would also surprise you to learn that a plot of land on Ploenchit Road sold for Baht 1.2 million per square wah recently, which is higher even that the price achieved for the British Embassy land.

That would make it the highest valued plot of land in Thailand, but someone evidently thinks that it is worth it.

"land prices in thailand are over priced..i can buy land in the usa alot cheaper and if i want to go in certain states maybe 400 dollars an acre..most is used for rice farming.."

You won't find land in the USA appropriate for rice farming for $400 USD an acre.

GREED is a factor. i myself know perfectly well what a sq wah / sq rai etc is worth in the area i am focusing on. ( The maths are simple enough when you begin taking an interest in it... )

One opportunistic Thai grandmother must have seen me coming and wanted 1.6 million baht for one square rai of dirt ! Not fenced in , no water supply. That's more than 500 percent over the correct market value. I laughed as i put down the phone. I guess she see's the spreading of the farang invasion and takes a chance , thinking we don't know any better . People are becoming greedy .

It's not only the grandmothers, the same applies to each and every real estate agent in BKK. Thai and Farang... Just got offered 3 year old condo for 97k per m2 in Sukhumvit and right next to brand new much higher quality development selling less than 90k /m2. Best part was when i asked about the price difference they proposed that i look into some older units from Thonburi in case i don't have the money to pay the 97k... :o

Not sure though what is the reality, do they think all farangs are without brain or is there enough suckers to around to keep this going ? :D

"land prices in thailand are over priced..i can buy land in the usa alot cheaper and if i want to go in certain states maybe 400 dollars an acre..most is used for rice farming.."

You won't find land in the USA appropriate for rice farming for $400 USD an acre.

You could make it $4 an acre in USA and I still wouldn't go there.

I will continue to pay 80,000 Baht a rai if it is where I want it to be - i.e. in Thailand.

Some people keep talking about the price of land in Bangkok is cheaper then in the US.I do not think so.Look at the population of Bangkok,it is about 6 millon and look at the same US city population.The following US cities are about 6 millon,

Atlant,Ga.

Dallas,Tx.

Huston,Tx.

Miami,Fl.

Philadelphia,Pa.

Washington D.C.

Try to buy land there for less or maybe the same then you can in Bangkok and I would say that someone could sell you the Brooklyn Bridge also, if you believe that.

Look at the following cities with higher populations.I do not believe that you could buy cheaper in the US then in Bangkok.

Chicago,Il. 9millon

Los Angles,Ca. 13 millon

New York,Ny. 19 millon

It still does come down to what people are willing to pay.Thai's are no more "greedy"then anyother human is.