Flying Via Middle East From Uk

I'm flying to BKK in two weeks and have been looking around at various flight prices.

All the cheapest ones go through the Middle East - Abu Dhabi etc.

For £60 more I can go through Vienna.

I just wondered what the security is like at the airports in the Middle East, and has anyone had any problems? If I went on Gulf Air I would be wandering around Abu Dhabi airport for a few hours wating for my connection. The Foreign Office website says the CEA contains Al-Queda operatives and to be vigilant. Is it worth the risk?

What is the attitude like to white westerners? Is it safe?

After seeing what happened to Ken Bigley I'm leaning towards paying a bit more to avoid the area altogether. Can anyone persuad me otherwise?

Cheers.

I've flown Gulf numerous times through Bahrain and Abu Dhabi. Earlier this year was on Kuwait, through Kuwait city.

Never a problem. Security is as tight, perhaps even tighter, than other airlines and you're not leaving the airport anyway. The locals treat you just the same as one of their own. Duty free shopping is good etc.

Might be worth looking at Phuket Air - I hear they're reasonable and good prices.

Bear in mind, Kuwait is a "dry" airline. Boring.

I have been woring in the UAE for years and ther is no problem, the chances of a Serial Killer are slim, everyone is working for their future here. Ettihad is a new airline and flies from London on Monday and Tuesday evenings connecting in Abu Dhabi to a flight to Bangkok after a stopover of about an hour and a half I believe. They may be a little more expensive because it is the favorite for ex-pats from LOS to UK

I flew thru Abu Dhabi earlier this year (bizarrely to get from Bahrain to Jeddah). No security problems, but it's not a big airport and not much to do. You could buy a ticket to win a nice sports car...

Seriously, airports in the middle east are fine and perfectly safe.