Friendship Bridge & Us Dollars

Does anyone know where I can exchange Thai Baht for US dollars in Nong Khai or near the Friendship Bridge as I have heard that the Laos Immigration does not make change for US Dollars and I only have one hundred dollar US bills. If the entrance visa fee is only $30 I need some small bills

Might not be easy up there. Immigration can make change (I've seen US falang hand over US$) but you may get change in baht or kip (bring a suitcase!) and a poor exchange rate to boot.

Why not use an ATM and get some baht to pay with?

Might not be easy up there. Immigration can make change (I've seen US falang hand over US$) but you may get change in baht or kip (bring a suitcase!) and a poor exchange rate to boot.

Why not use an ATM and get some baht to pay with?

If you pay with 1500 Baht you pay about $50 with the US exchange rate---If you pay with USD you pay only $35--would rather save the money myself than give it to Laos Government

Does anyone know where I can exchange Thai Baht for US dollars in Nong Khai or near the Friendship Bridge as I have heard that the Laos Immigration does not make change for US Dollars and I only have one hundred dollar US bills. If the entrance visa fee is only $30 I need some small bills

Are you in Nong Khai now ?

Why not get your C-note changed into smaller bills at a bank or a money changer ? You can purchase dollars with baht too.

Then you can pay for your visa stamp with green money.

Are you in Nong Khai now ?

Why not get your C-note changed into smaller bills at a bank or a money changer ? You can purchase dollars with baht too.

Then you can pay for your visa stamp with green money.

will be in Nong Khai tomorrow. Is it easy there to exchange Baht for Dollars? Do you know who would do it? Im in Khorat now and its hard to find US dollars here--all the banks post exchange rates but they only buy US dollars they rarely sell them. Have not seen any money changers here in Khorat but you say there are some in Nong Khai?

Last time I went through Vientiane, Lao Immigration was not taking US dollars, as they are well aware of the exchange differential. They will cite that your US currency is not in good enough condition, marked, torn ragged, too new, possibly counterfeit, but the come uppance was, they wouldn't take it. Still worth trying though, but make sure you have the baht for backup and use only newish, non torn, non marked US bills.

did it about 2 weeks ago . no probs to pay with USD at all at the Laos immigration booths on far side of bridge. change your baht into US dollars at the market in Nong Khai - the big one along the river. There's a jewellery shop which advertises 'money changer' .

You may or may not save money doin in USD depending on your nationality; Laos visa is now $ 35 for most , $ 30 for Aussies , $42 for canadians . I'm assuming the THB cost is still 1,000.

Hope this helps

Edited by Ray1167

did it about 2 weeks ago . no probs to pay with USD at all at the Laos immigration booths on far side of bridge. change your baht into US dollars at the market in Nong Khai - the big one along the river. There's a jewellery shop which advertises 'money changer' .

You may or may not save money doin in USD depending on your nationality; Laos visa is now $ 35 for most , $ 30 for Aussies , $42 for canadians . I'm assuming the THB cost is still 1,000.

Hope this helps

Thanks that will help--Im told the Thai Baht charge is now 1,500 Baht

I do not understand. On 30th April I paid US $ 35.- without any problems, and the American fellow next to me handed in THB 1500. Even Canadians would save money according my math, not big though.

• 6 months later...

I was there 2 weeks ago, gave them a fifty, and got $15 USD back in change. Hopefully you can have the same luck. They like taking $100's and $50s and giving you back the ugliest, and smallest USD denominated bills they can find because they can get a better rate with the big ones :o

I think you can buy USD at the duty free shops near Laos immigration. if you smile, you can just walk all the way around and then back and then enter again legally. The European group in front of me was instructed to do this by the immigration officer after refusing to pay in Baht at a rip off rate.

--matt

oh..btw, I got my $50 bill by walking around to banks around Nongkhai and asking if they sold USD. If you get there late in the day, it's likely a Lao person came over and changed USD to THB there.

Edited by MattFS218

1) Buy US dollars in a bank (for instance in Nong Khai) prior going to the Friendship Bridge (exchange rates at the Friendship Bridge are probably the worst ones in the area).

2) Pay in US dollars, they will give you the change (if needed) in US dollars too. The amount in baht is always less advantageous.