Warning: Windows Update Kb940510

PattayaDavid

I had built a new desktop computer last year which originally came with Windows XP, however earlier this year I bought a bootleg copy of Windows Vista Ultimate in order to try it out before forking out the money for an original.  It was working ok, but I felt that it wasn't as good as the original Windows XP program, however i had read on this site that it is difficult to impossible to go reinstall Windows XP after installing Vista, is this true? Also, I had read that Windows 7, the replacement for Vista may be out sometime next year so I decided not to purchase Vista and continued to use it because of the difficulties in returning to XP.  I don't want to lose any of my current data and settings.  I would rather do an upgrade to Windows 7 since there is no upgrade to Vista Ultimate.

My computer performed a Windows Update yesterday and installed update KB940410 which enables Windows Vista to detect activation exploits that bypass product activation.  So now I get a message saying that my Windows Vista Ultimate is not valid and that Activation Exploit software SL07-001 was found and needs to be repaired then Windows Vista must be activated.

I have primarily written this post to warn those who are currently using bootleg Vista software, however I am also interested in a remedy for this problem.  Two things that I have considered since i don't want to purchase Windows Vista as I am not that fond of it and because Windows 7 is on the horizon.  One, my last computer backup via Windows Vista was performed on May 1, 2008 prior to the installation of this Update.  I thought that if I did a full computer recovery which would include formatting the hard drive and installation of the backup which would hopefully restore Windows Vista to its previous state or uninstall Windows Vista Ultimate and replace it with Windows XP, however I think I may need some help in order to do this.

I would appreciate any ideas or assistance from all.

PattayaDavid

See Below:

Description of the update for Windows Vista

View products that this article applies to.Article ID : 940510

Last Review : April 8, 2008

Revision : 3.1

INTRODUCTION

This update enables Windows Vista to detect activation exploits that bypass product activation and that interfere with usual Windows operation. An activation exploit is a form of software that replaces or modifies authentic Windows components. When activation exploits are present on a system, it indicates that a software or hardware vendor may have tampered with genuine Windows to enable the sale of counterfeit software. Therefore, the security and the privacy of the computer are put at risk. After this update is installed, you will know if activation exploits are present on the system.

... my last computer backup via Windows Vista was performed on May 1, 2008 prior to the installation of this Update. I thought that if I did a full computer recovery which would include formatting the hard drive and installation of the backup which would hopefully restore Windows Vista to its previous state or uninstall Windows Vista Ultimate and replace it with Windows XP, however I think I may need some help in order to do this.

I don't know what you mean by "last computer backup". Did you use a software package such as Acronis to do a complete image backup of your C drive? If you did, you can restore it and Windows will revert to its previous state.

You could try doing a "System Restore" and restore the configuration to a date before you installed KB940410.

Whatever you do, you should do an image backup of your C drive to another drive before experimenting in case it all goes pear shaped - unless, of course, you are happy to reinstall XP from scratch and apply again all updates up to but not including KB940410.

Also, do not count on Windows "7" being anywhere on the horizon next year. Microsoft is notorious for schedules slipping. And because 7 is a modular rewrite of the OS, it will take a while.

As Richard said, consider legal software; either buy a copy of Vista and be legal or re-install XP.

There is indeed an upgrade to Vista Ultimate. I know this as this is the route I too to run Ultimate. Ivebeen runningit now for 8 months and am happier with it than with XP. Its GUI is so much nicer than XP and I like the way it handles photos and music. Never ad the blue screen of death and my computer is faster. As already said having legitamate copies of software is the answer to the problems you are experiencing.

Wipe your hard drive(reformat) Install any copy of windows xp Back your system up with Norton Ghost or the like ..so if you ever have a problem it will revert the computer to the original fresh install(I would install everything first & then back it up.)

NEVER GO ONLINE FOR A MICROSOFT UPDATE! No need the security updates are totally worthless. Use firefox or opera along with your antivirus & no problems. My computer runs as good as it was reformatted in 2006 & have ghost to reinstall if I need.