Marc Almond Critical

DJ Pat

Singer Almond critically injured

Soft Cell singer Marc Almond is critically ill in hospital after a motorcycle crash in central London.

The singer was injured after he was pillion passenger on a bike that collided with a car near Cannon Street station on Sunday.

Both he and the rider were taken to hospital. Almond had emergency surgery and is being treated in intensive care.

Almond scored his biggest hit with his group Soft Cell when their song Tainted Love went to number one 1981.

Police investigation

A spokesman for City of London Police said the crash happened at about 1600 BST (1500 GMT) on Sunday.

"There was a serious collision between a car and a motorcycle at the junction of Cannon Street and New Change in the City of London," he said.

"Both the motorcycle rider and the pillion passenger are in hospital. The rider has severe injuries and the pillion passenger is critical.

"City of London Police are investigating the collision. Marc Almond was the pillion passenger."

Soft Cell performed on Top of the Pops in their heyday

The vehicles involved were a Suzuki bike and a Vauxhall car, the spokesman added.

Almond is being treated at The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel. In a statement, the hospital said: His family request that his and their privacy is respected at this time."

Soft Cell, which comprised Almond and musician David Ball, were one of the biggest-selling acts of the early 1980s.

They split in 1984, three years after Tainted Love - a cover of Gloria Jones' soul classic - became the biggest-selling UK single of 1981 and the 10th biggest-seller ever in the US at the time.

The band's other hits included Torch, Bedsitter and Say Hello, Wave Goodbye.

After the split, Almond went on to have chart success with a cover of the Days Of Pearly Spencer and a duet with Gene Pitney on Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart.

Almond and Ball reunited in 2001 to play a gig launching new venue Ocean in Hackney, east London

Nice to see some nice mature replies from some thoughtful people.

This is a guy who hit the gutter in the early 90s. Drugs, booze and addiction to prescribed painkillers that he used to go to NY specially to buy. I saw him in person in 1995 and was horrified.(My ex-boss in the UK knows him, my uncle was in his class at school)

He picked himself up, got clean, and went into electro clash DJ-ing and relaunced Soft Cell with an excellent album in 2001 (Cruelty without Beauty), wrote a book and released it two months ago (In Search of the Pleasure Palace) and was on a bit of a crest of a wave until this accident

This is what I was referring to p1p

It isn't true anyway

When I was growing up this story did the rounds about Marc Almond - and it's all I think of whenever I hear the name. If you know who he is, then it doesn't sound particularly implausible.

Warning: the following may churn your stomach.

It was in the papers about Almond. Not a post-concert thing, but he was apparently in a gay club in the US where the crowd wanked into a beer glass until it was filled (would have taken the whole membership :D ), whereupon Almond drank it all down. The collapsing bit, ambulance rush and stomache pumping was also reported.

OK, papers don't always get it right, but I remember my sis-in-law showing me the article. Maybe true. Maybe not. :o

This is what I was referring to p1p

It isn't true anyway

When I was growing up this story did the rounds about Marc Almond - and it's all I think of whenever I hear the name. If you know who he is, then it doesn't sound particularly implausible.

Warning: the following may churn your stomach.

It was in the papers about Almond. Not a post-concert thing, but he was apparently in a gay club in the US where the crowd wanked into a beer glass until it was filled (would have taken the whole membership :D ), whereupon Almond drank it all down. The collapsing bit, ambulance rush and stomache pumping was also reported.

OK, papers don't always get it right, but I remember my sis-in-law showing me the article. Maybe true. Maybe not. :o

55555555555555 :D

Someone had to say it...... :D

I like drums. But not too much and certainly not always. Some times I absolutely don't like drums. Especially not when I have a head-ache.

Many people living in Thailand like Pat Boone. Is there anybody out there who could tell me something about Pat Boone?

Surely can.

Throw away Pat Boone Thailand searches revealed:

Pat Boone - Amway Profitsharing Direct http://www.ubu.com/outsiders/365/02-2.html (Amway and Pat Boone?!)

http://www.patboone.com/ (<deleted>?)

http://www.byfaith.co.uk/paulquiz2.htm (Jesus related)

And this is the most interesting website I've read in a long time, I'm not being sarcastic: http://www.kalaniosullivan.com/KunsanAB/8t...asb1a4.html#top

Skip the first third of the page about the Korean war and you have a whole load of Thailand related war stories, told first hand. Excellent. (There is a Pat Boone reference in there but to be honest I got into the stories before I could find it :o )

Thank you very much Mr. Fatter than Harry. At the moment the internet is very slow here at the border with Burma, I shall try again to-morrow.

My mother always said that Pat Boone should be an example to me and that I absolutely should avoid the company of people with haircuts like Elvis Presley. On the portrait together with His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej Elvis however has short hair, but then he was a soldier and I moved already from home.

I did quite well, even if I listened to Elvis many times. I heard that Pat Boone just like this Bush character finally had to do the new-born-christian thing. I never did so, I did it the other way around. It helped Bush of the booze I understand. I am very curious to find out if Pat Boone could handle a bottle. I can, but it is not getting easier. Maybe I also should go for this new-born-christian thing, at least during daytime.

Thank you very much again.

And Mr. DJPat, I hope this Mr. Almond gets well again. He has a good fore-hand, but his cross-court slices are unsurpassable effective as well. Fantastic player, a typical all-rounder.

Khun DJPat, I must apologize for my last posting.

Mr. Marc Almond and what he does and/or stands for is highly respected by you.

The fact that I absolutely don't know who the good man is doesn't make it appropriate for me to joke about it.

Ashes on my head.