From Marriage Extension To Tourist Visa?

:o My passport will have only 6 months left when my marriage extension expires so can I travel to Laos and have a tourist visa? I will go to my country to renew my passport but need some time to have the price of airfare as the fares have gone up considerably.

Renew your passport at your Embassy in Bangkok

Be aware that you will probably loose your married extension Grandfather status by leaving and getting a Tourist Visa.

Excuse me Mr. Lite Beer but what is married extension Grandfather status?

The ability to use 400k bank deposit rather than the required 40k family income now in effect.

except for aliens who

entered the Kingdom before

this Order came into force and

granted a permit to stay in the

Kingdom. If the alien does not

have the minimum income

above, he shall have an account

deposit in Thailand in the name

of either party or both of not

less than Baht 400,000. Proof

of account deposit for the

previous 3 months is required

Renew your passport at your Embassy in Bangkok

Be aware that you will probably loose your married extension Grandfather status by leaving and getting a Tourist Visa.

Excuse me Mr. Lite Beer but what is married extension Grandfather status?

At the moment you are grandfathered . Meaning that because you have been getting Marriage Extensions since before October 2006 when the new rules came into force you can continue to use the old rules.

If you break the continual extensions and get a Tourist Visa and in the future want to go back to the Marriage Extension you would probably have to start again under the new rules.

Old Rules - 40,000 Baht a month income OR 400,000 Baht in the bank.

New Rules - 40,000 Baht a month income only.

I know it is not what you wanted to know but I thought I would point this out to you.

Too slow again.

Edited by Lite Beer

The ability to use 400k bank deposit rather than the required 40k family income now in effect.
except for aliens who

have the minimum income

:o I have never had 400,000 baht in the bank account but could wish it even having a Thai wife, as I always used pension papers from my BKK embassy with more than 400,000k a year and broke that story two years ago and had to have a new pension statement showing 40k a month. But my real question if I could be granted a toursit visa in Laos after being in Thailand two consequitive years?

except for aliens who

have the minimum income

:o I have never had 400,000 baht in the bank account but could wish it even having a Thai wife, as I always used pension papers from my BKK embassy with more than 400,000k a year and broke that story two years ago and had to have a new pension statement showing 40k a month. But my real question if I could be granted a toursit visa in Laos after being in Thailand two consequitive years?

Yes and would probably get a double entry from Vientiane.

Although I do not know the position with 6 months left on your passport.

Lopburi ?

If he has over six months remaining they should issue a tourist visa. But once that is done he will have little option but to return directly to home country if he can not obtain a new passport in Thailand as few countries will accept travel with less than six month validity.

Easy to renew your passeport at your embassy here, provided you have been registered. That works whatever your Thai visa is, and enables you to stay rather than go back home (unless you want it ^^).

Just dont wait untill you have less than a month left !