Electronics Prices Thailand

cottonadam

Same as for computers,

Low end can be had very cheap, high end either unavailable or very high priced...

Cellphones are cheap compared to Europe (considered they are contractfree, if you subscribe to a contract in Europe they're cheaper over there, but of not much use over here!)

The REAL cheap stuff here comes from China...Locally referred to as 'noname' brands...sometimes with close-copy names like 'Suny' 'Casiko', etc., sometimes with other non-recognizable brand names. The stuff isn't always crap, but 'buyer beware' is the best advice

Same as for computers,

Low end can be had very cheap, high end either unavailable or very high priced...

Cellphones are cheap compared to Europe (considered they are contractfree, if you subscribe to a contract in Europe they're cheaper over there, but of not much use over here!)

After a year - when your initial contract is up in the UK, you can get the phone unlocked, at which point it is usable in Thailand. (Cellphone operator is required to give you the unlock code if requested).

Remember, if you're coming from the US - you're talking about a different voltage, so check the power supplies can handle 220v 50Hz (normal on laptops, but not on very much else). That or you'll need to get a step down transformer. I got one here a few years ago from Tandy (Radio Shack), but that shop in Fashion Island closed, and haven't seen another Tandy/Radio Shack here anywhere.

Also, only take a cellphone from the US if it's GSM, and tri-band (needs to handle 900MHz or 1800MHz here depending on the provider).

Same as for computers,

After a year - when your initial contract is up in the UK, you can get the phone unlocked, at which point it is usable in Thailand. (Cellphone operator is required to give you the unlock code if requested).

I have an orange mobile phone, which i want unlocked - how do i do it ? Can i get the info via e-mail or a website ?

Same as for computers,

I have an orange mobile phone, which i want unlocked - how do i do it ? Can i get the info via e-mail or a website ?

Go to MBK to any of those stalls selling and reparing mobile phones.

Tell them you want your mobile phone unlocked. Usually the job is done in a minute or two and the charge is around 100 Baht.

Is taking a simlock out against the law and/or immoral? The mobile phone manufacturers and network operators claim so. How about fineprint in long term contracts?

Cheers,

Richard

HELLLL NO!  Bring it from the US.  Cheaper and (usually) better quality....at least a better standard of support and guarantee than here in most cases.  'nuf said.

can u use a US cell phone in Thailand?? :o

Fortunately, over are the old days that mobile phones acquired outside of Thailand could not be used here because they were barred via the IMEI number (= any mobile phone bears this number - it is pretty much like the engine number of a car).

Nowadays, only a close look has to be taken at the technology the mobile phone works with. If it is GSM 900 or GSM 1800 compatible it will surely also work in Thailand.

In the USA TDMA and/or CDMA technology is quite common and phones only operating on this would not function in Europe.

As per my knowledge, however, Huch is offering mobile phones here with this technology and without GSM ability means even US TDMA and/or CDMA may be usable here. On the other hand in certain (rural) areas there might be net problems which already exist quite often in terms of the wider spread GSM. In certain parts of LOS it appears that you have to get on a tree first (no kidding) to be able to use your mobile phone. Wonder what option one has if even a less common technology comes into play. Reach for the highest tree you can find,r climb on an electricity poll or pile 50 buffalos and sit on the back of the top one to make a call. Maybe it might be an idea for a future AIS promotion to offer a ladder with a new phone particularly if clients in Thailand's rural areas are targeted. :D

Cheers,

Richard