Thai Banks - Debit Card

I have a Be1st card from Bangkok Bank. It has my name printed on the front. There are four small digits printed under the card number on the front.

A year or so ago, I successfully linked this card with my PayPal and eBay accounts. I never tried to use it for an online purchase, however.

Just a few minutes ago, I thought I'd give it a try as I want to take advantage of Thai Air Asia's 99-baht flight promotion (online purchases only). I entered in my information, including the last three digits of the small numbers below the card numbers. It gave me the following statement:

Your card is enrolled for the "Verified by Visa" program. This means that you have been issued a password to secure your online payments with this card.

We will now redirect you to the verification system of Visa to complete this payment.

I clicked on "Continue" and was taken to a Bangkok Bank page that basically said the card had been pre-enrolled in Verified by Visa to protect against unauthorized purchases and that to authorize the card I just needed to complete the form provided. It had my address (in Thai) and there was a statement saying not to click "Authorize Card" if that information was incorrect.

The form asked for a Card Reference Number (which I didn't have). Luckily, there was a link to "How to Get A Reference Code":

Acquire the Reference Code via Bualuang phone

1) Dial Bualuang phone 1333 or 66-2645-5555

2) Press 7 for choosing Verified by Visa

3) Press 1 to create reference code for register Verified by Visa

4) Enter your Be 1st card number

5) Enter your Be 1st Personal Identification Number (PIN)

6) Create your own reference code (8 digits)

7) Confirm your reference code

My phone currently has 0 baht but at lunchtime I'll go out and buy a new phone card and will give it a try. I'll let you know...

As the credit card experts seem to to be convened here may I repeat my question from another post=

I am a normal retiree on a 1 year >thai visa, no wp , no business.

Can I nevertheless get an ordinary Visa credit card issued by a Thai bank/ institution ??

The Bualuang phone call worked in authorizing my Bangkok Bank debit card. However, you do need to press "2" first for the English menu (unless, of course, you can understand more Thai than I can). Then, I just had to enter that number in the space provided on the website. You also have to choose a "PAM" (just a word or phrase that will appear on any "Verified by Visa" transaction proving that it is authentic) and a VBV password (six digits). For this, I was charged a fee of 105.33 baht.

I then successfully used the card to purchase Thai Air Asia plane tickets....

• 1 year later...
Kasikorn web card can be used for flights on Air Asia. Just print out the confirmation. Wasn't asked about showing the card (neither with Bangkok Airways either).

Sir. Thank you very very much for this information. I will do this. I DO NOT want to experience what I went through when I made the mistake of purchasing a round trip from BKK to USA using "virtual credit card from CitiBank." China Air was adament to my presenting a physical card which was impossible (b/c it was a virtual card). Consequently I missed my flight to USA and all the arrangements/plans regarding my trip were negated. To top it off, CityBank and China Air took ONE year to rectify my being bill TWICE for the one trip. It affected my credit rating also b/c I refused to pay "late charges" which were attached to my refusal to pay the double billing.

Cheers,

Keopki

Kasikorn web card can be used for flights on Air Asia. Just print out the confirmation. Wasn't asked about showing the card (neither with Bangkok Airways either).

Sir. Thank you very very much for this information. I will do this. I DO NOT want to experience what I went through when I made the mistake of purchasing a round trip from BKK to USA using "virtual credit card from CitiBank." China Air was adament to my presenting a physical card which was impossible (b/c it was a virtual card). Consequently I missed my flight to USA and all the arrangements/plans regarding my trip were negated. To top it off, CityBank and China Air took ONE year to rectify my being bill TWICE for the one trip. It affected my credit rating also b/c I refused to pay "late charges" which were attached to my refusal to pay the double billing.

Cheers,

Keopki

Can somebody confirm that this actually works?

Airlines normally want to see the credit card when having a online booking, and I doubt that a simple print-ou will serve. Can be easily photoshopped.

Seems just too risky to try.

I have used my Kasikornbank Virtual Card a number of times on Air Asia and have never had a problem, I think that providing you book early and the payment is confirmed you wouldn't have a problem, you can always check the status of the payment online.

If you are travelling domestically and have no bags to check, you can check in online line and print your boarding card so you don't even need to go to a check in desk, I have done this.

If you are travelling internationally or have bags to check, you can still check-in online, but you need to go to a dedicated desk, again I have done this without a problem.

The first couple of times I took that e-mail confirmation of the transaction from Kasikornbank, but have stopped bothering now.