Living And Working On Koh Samui

There is a possibility that I may gain employment on Koh Samui. I've looked at the web sites for the island and read the usual tourist gumph, what I'd like is an honest review of the pro's and con's of living and working on the Island. All contributions gladly accepted.

For me personally, for the first few years it's great, after that it can REALLY get to you if you let it..

One piece of advice i'd give, never get complacent with your surroundings, if you do get homesick or bored etc, go to somewhere on the Island where you can realise again why you are actually here & not where you were previously, ( the place you decidd to leave to be on Samui ) IE The Beach, Mountains, go to sit on the Rocks somewhere etc..

For me personally, for the first few years it's great, after that it can REALLY get to you if you let it..

One piece of advice i'd give, never get complacent with your surroundings, if you do get homesick or bored etc, go to somewhere on the Island where you can realise again why you are actually here & not where you were previously, ( the place you decidd to leave to be on Samui ) IE The Beach, Mountains, go to sit on the Rocks somewhere etc..

I agree. I've gone to different parts where I felt like a tourist and really started to appreciate it more.

Basic pros & cons can be found in those two threads "Samui is a dump" and the other one with the opposite opinion.

What type of work will yo be doing? Different jobs can have diff pros & cons.

I agree. I've gone to different parts where I felt like a tourist and really started to appreciate it more.

Basic pros & cons can be found in those two threads "Samui is a dump" and the other one with the opposite opinion.

What type of work will yo be doing? Different jobs can have diff pros & cons.

No problem finding the pros & cons. :o:D :D

I am here now for the best part of 10 years....

Initially wanted to stay 2 may be 3 years. I have worked in various parts of Asia and Europe for a minimum of 2 - 3 years each and have found Samui at this stage of my life the right decision.

It might not work for everyone and sure there have been changes since I first arrived, but considering all pros and cons, I am very much okay with working and living here, probably happier than in my home country. There are many opportunities everywhere, but they do not always come fast, everythings takes time.

If you will be employed by a proper company then I do not see any reasons as to why not to give it shot.....you have nothing to loose I guess.

If you need more info just PM me and I will give you honest feedback.

there are many "honest reviews" in this forum, i assume.

If you will find employment and, landed, finally moved in, got all sorted out... we will still be here to answer your questions.

There is "my favorite Restaurants" thread...a "pic's" thread, there is quite a bunch of expats around...

I would try and sniff it out first!

Suppose it depends on what you want.

Samui does have a nice semi village feel about it and everything is very accessable. But it can get claustrophobic and there isn't a great variety of things to do at night. If you're okay sitting in a small bar and having a chat, playing a bit of pool there's tons of places. If you want to get trashed and party with backpakers theres tons of that also. But If you are looking for something sophisticated you'll find it slim pickins.

Samui is very much a shorts and T.Shirt casual sort of place. Over recent years the place has deteriorated with over development, poor infastructure and a lot of locals have lost their lustre. In summary, if you you're a city person, be careful. If you're laid back and like a simpler life, go for it.