Violent Mugging In Rawai

Macx

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been known to occaisionally read whole sentences without narcilepsy !

I was under the impression that the explanation about payments to the hospital had been explained. The thread was also about payments, not botched jobs at any particular hospital, as such that is off topic.

Sorry to correct you but you should read all the replies as well as the sub text, then when you have understood a comment you can t construct an accurate critisim

News! :o

Thursday, June 5, 2008

BIS calls for donations for mugging victim

The force of the pull caused the motorbike to crash into a wall opposite the Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa, leaving Jake unconscious.

[/color]

Phuket, Thailand

19:15 local time (GMT +7)

My condolences and deepest sympathies to the two survivors.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the main road along the beach by the Graceland Hotel is very well lit. Seems like the criminals are no longer hiding in darkly lit roads up in the hills. Even well lit streets are now in the war zone.

People are unfairly hard on Bangkok Hospital. I don't think that their prices are a secret and as far as I'm aware, their staff are quite capable.

Its not about the price, its about Bangkok Phuket Hospital money making interests comes first, serious wounded patient can wait until payment is guaranteed, is absolute not transparent in prices for before treatment, final bill is inflated by various tricks and shocking high, if you have money to spend or good insurance fine go there.

Doctors are good or bad as in any hospital in Thailand, they rotate between the hospitals so its doesn't matter much, we had never problems with billing or the care with the International Hospital (near the Big C) and that also a private hospital.

Edited by Khun Jack

Most people here know that BKK hospital is a rip off and they also do card scams. But then again it is the farang hos of choice. Phuket international is far superior in care and cost.

This is still away from the thread, if you want to start a hospital thread then fine but this is about muggings and violence, the original issue about bills have been addressed.

Thursday, June 5, 2008

The force of the pull caused the motorbike to crash into a wall opposite the Phuket Graceland Resort & Spa, leaving Jake unconscious.

[/color]

Phuket, Thailand

My condolences and deepest sympathies to the two survivors.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the main road along the beach by the Graceland Hotel is very well lit. Seems like the criminals are no longer hiding in darkly lit roads up in the hills. Even well lit streets are now in the war zone.

Yes this latest attack seems to push it from the lone expat in the dark who possibly could / should know better.. To young folks in bright lights and busy area of the main tourism town.

It would hint at a increased level of bravery / desperation on the part of the attackers.

The injuries sustained in the latest attack sound very serious. Surely attacking people riding a motorbike is attempted murder.

And knocking them off bikes and shooting them was what ?? Just over enthusiastic play ??

Sorry, I did not express myself very well. I mean that all the attacks could come in the attempted murder category. If they were described as such in the press and classed as that by the lazy, cowardly police then perhaps there may be more serious investigation.

Haven't some of these late-night motorbike attacks resulted in the murder of the victim? I seem to remember a case from last year.

Thx for send a letter to your embassy "lordofdelusion". :o

About the topic and the hospitals :

Yes I aggree the topic also is about the hospitals, but I think the situation is too serious to drift back again to talk about hospitals, their pricelists etc. :D

I aggree with "stuandchris" !

Regards from (save) "good old Germany",

Bagsida

P.S.:

I´am back on Phuket in July.....

Thursday, June 5, 2008

PHUKET CITY: The British International School Phuket (BIS) is asking for donations to help pay medical bills for former student Jake Carey, one of two BIS community members seriously injured in a motorbike crash that resulted from a violent mugging in Patong early Sunday morning.

The other victim was Carly Moorhouse, who graduated from BIS last week and is the daughter of well known local property developer Paul Moorhouse.

Dean Smart, a close friend of the couple who was out celebrating with them on Saturday night, told the Gazette that Jake, 21, and Carly, 17, were riding together on a motorbike in Patong about 3 am, after having eaten at Burger King.

As they were riding home along the beach road, two men on another motorbike pulled up from behind and pulled on Carly's handbag in an attempt to steal it, he said.

The thieves made off with the handbag, which contained cash, credit cards, ATM cards, a camera and other valuables, said Dean, who parted with the couple about an hour-and-a-half earlier.

Carly and Jake were found by Tourist Police officers and taken to Patong Hospital for initial treatment. They were later transferred to Bangkok Hospital Phuket where they continue to recover.

Jake, a BIS alumni currently working for the school's Flying Fish Swim Club as an instructor, suffered multiple injuries, including a concussion, a compound fracture of the leg requiring surgical implantation of a metal plate, a broken collar bone and bruised ribs.

Carly suffered liver damage and internal bleeding that required surgical removal of her spleen, as well injuries to her tongue and jaw that will require plastic surgery.

Also recently graduated from the school, Dean said that the attack had left the BIS community in shock, as nothing like it had ever happened before.

Carly had been planning to fly to Australia on Sunday, he said.

Today's plea for financial assistance from BIS arises from the fact that Jake is uninsured, Dean said.

In today's letter to BIS parents and guardians, BIS Head of Secondary Nick Botting writes, "Although Jake is making an excellent recovery, the extent of his treatment, including operations, means that a large hospital bill has now been amassed. In order to offset these significant costs, the Flying Fish Swim Club has agreed to make a large donation.

"Students can help out by attending Jake's Football Bash, which will take place on Saturday, June 21. If you would like to make a contribution, please send donations in a sealed envelope to the Headmaster's Office where a fund is being set up."

The violence against Jake and Carey has occurred just three days after UK Ambassador to Thailand Quinton Quayle, on a visit to Phuket from Bangkok, told the Gazette that he was concerned about the current wave of crime against foreigners here.

"[safety] is one of the things I will be talking with the governor [of Phuket] about. Crime happens all over the world – we have a lot in Britain – but if there is a particular spate of attacks targeting tourists or targeting people on motorcycles, one would expect the authorities to take some countermeasures," he said.

Phuket, Thailand

His Mother flew out sat from the UK, hope Jake and his partner get through this, nice guy and nice family, know them well, we are all thinking of them both.

Just replying to comments many posts back suggesting that the farang Tourist Police Volunteers set up a sting operation. As some may know, I'm a police volunteer, albeit that I'm located at the north end of the island.

A couple of points:

- There are extremely few 'active' farang volunteers on the island, about 15

- Whilst some of 'mature' in age, we are not all in our bathchairs yet :o

- All volunteers undergo training (and repeat training) in self-defence, use of handcuffs, arrest, CPR etc etc

- We are not allowed to arrest or detain any Thai national

- We are not allowed to carry any firearm (quite right too!)

- We are more a Tourist Liaison Officer, rather than a 'cuff em' officer!

- We are unpaid volunteers

That last point is the most important because - as has been pointed out in this thread, no volunteer is going to risk his life whilst acting as the 'bait' for these thugs.

If there were more foreign volunteers, then maybe vehicle patrols could be organised, (which requires at least 2 volunteers in a vehicle...)

So, if you want to help our community - both farang and Thai - why not volunteer yourself? You can PM me for more details.

--- end of advert ---

Simon

- We are not allowed to arrest or detain any Thai national

That imply's you are allowed to detain or arrest a non Thai national.

Can you confirm or clarify that statement.

I was always told the tourist police had not powers of detention and or arrest (yet carry handcuffs !!) its this kind of no one really knows stuff I find so concerning about the TP's..

Of course theres the whole can of worms about rights of Thai nationals v 'lessor rights' of those of other nationals, how that distinction is decided, etc etc.

Foreign volunteers in the TP do have the power to detain anyone who needs to be detained! That's the same power as for any other member of the public who might find themselves in a situation where they feel the need to detain someone - such as someone stealing from your shop, someone fighting drunk etc.

And, just like any other person in Thailand, (Thai or farang), they have the right to detain a Thai person for the same reasons. But let's be realistic here and understand that foreign police volunteers will never do such a thing since you can imagine the result :o

The handcuffs are present just in case such a situation arises where someone needs to be detained until Thai police arrive at the scene. I can think of only 1 incident in a couple of years when one of the FTP had to handcuff a blind drunk (and fighting) tourist in Phuket.

As for handcuff training etc, I have attended hours and hours of such training, but hopefully will never have to use this training. But if you are required to carry handcuffs as part of your remit, then you need to know how to use them.

For me, the most important items that I carry are a map and a torch and my CPR kit:)

Simon

Guys, lottsa heat here. To your credit there is action like informing embassies. Ignore the neighsayers, `nothing will change` - if you believe them we`d still be living in caves. And from the content of their posts.......................

I am not an expat - I come here for only approx 3 months a year. But I do not want the place ruined by the criminal chav scum. You guys need to ORGANISE - make your voices heard. It does work. In the immortal words of anon who penned Joe Hill;

And standing there as big as life,

And smiling with his eyes

Joe says "What they forgot to kill

|: Went on to organise." :|

http://ingeb.org/songs/idreamei.html

So I can detain and handcuff anyone I like if I feel theres a reasonable cause ??

[\quote]

You can do that in any country in the world!! But I'm sure that you would have to be able to give a good reason why you felt that you had to take such action.

Simon

(Why does it sound so strange to you that a volunteer police officer has the right to detain? What about Special Constables in the UK? They are volunteers and have the power of arrest...)

Edited by simon43

In the UK any citizen has the right of arrest.. I would not have thought the same extended to farangs in Thailand.

Especially the use of cuffs.. I would have assumed cuffing someone because I thought there was a problem is highly legally questionable ground.

Well, (and this is really OT by commenting further), I cannot see any reason why the right to detain (with good reason) a person should not apply to a trained police volunteer in Thailand. The right to use suitable restraint (when justified) also seems logical to me.

Perhaps you are concerned that the TP are out to spoil your fun?:o

Simon

(PS - Let's not hijack this thread. We can always start a new one)

The attacks are terrible for Tourism and of course the victims and puts the rest of us on edge.

My condolences to the victims and any one else affected by these cowardly acts.

However,The fact that people stay /live here without adequate insurance amazes me.Those that state they cannot afford insurance really cant afford not to have it.

In this case the victim was taken to a facility suffering from multiple wounds by a volunteer,he didn't choose to go there he received some stabilizing care and was asked to pay or find alternative treatment options.

Fact is Private hospitals in Asia are always better equipped, fact is they are pricey and often overcharge.There are alternatives Government run without insurance you have to accept this.

It sucks but without Insurance company's their wouldn't be an alternative to start with.

Insurance is not often that expensive for accident and emergency cover that could of helped here. 5000- 8000bht per year, For full medical health care thats a different matter 30k and up Dependant on age etc.

I WANT ONE OF THESE

these funny little baby will guard you thru the night, he is even faster than a

motobike and he will take care for his food absolutely alone :o

holy%205hit.png

* Free to good home.

* Excellent guard dog.

* Owner cannot afford to feed him anymore, as there are no more

thieves, murderers or molesters

left in the neighborhood for him

to eat.

Most of them knew him as 'Holy Shit.'

• 2 months later...

Hello,

about 3 month ago some members sent messages to their embassies in which they informed about the poor security on Phuket and asked for improvement.

After this the British ambassador accidently visited the Phuket governor and argued the concerns about the security situation on Phuket.

After this Phuket got a new police chief, a new chief of the immigration office, a new police task force and until beginning of 2009 the installation of CCTV will be started.

From Phuket Gazette :

B20m CCTV system for Rawai

RAWAI: As part of a bid to crack down on crime in the area, Rawai Municipality has been granted 20 million baht in central government funding for the installation of 32 closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras.

Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos made the announcement at an August 15 ceremony held to announce a range of crime-fighting initiatives in Rawai.

Camera installation should begin in early 2009, with work scheduled for completion by the end of the year. An independent contractor is now being sought to install the cameras.

“We need to consider how this system will benefit Rawai after it has been installed. It won’t give us 100% protection against crime, but it will go some way to preventing robberies and muggings. It is certainly a lot better to have the cameras than to not have them. Tourists and residents will feel much safer with them installed,” he said.

Rawai, which falls under the responsibility of Chalong Police District, has been the site of numerous violent muggings in recent years, some conducted by armed youths against foreign tourists.

Also in attendance at the ceremony was Phuket Police Commander Maj Gen Apirak Hongthong and officers from the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

Gen Apirak said that a special team of officers has been lined up to monitor Phuket’s motorcycle gangs and Internet shops frequented by suspected criminals.

Police will work with local government sectors to keep an eye on criminals in Rawai, he added.

The move comes as part of an overall goal to clean up the image of Rawai and the surrounding area in the eyes of tourists and residents alike.

According to statistics released by Phuket Provincial Police, crime in Rawai has been steadily declining in recent months.

“We want tourists and residents to feel safe in the upcoming high season,” added Gen Apirak.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

21:12 local time (GMT +7)

How is your secury feeling at the moment ?

Do you feel save or not and why ?

Do you think the messages to the embassies effected something ?

Bagsida