Boarding Schools In Isaan For Matthayum

AA1

We are moving up to the Surin area early next year and are thinking of looking for a Boarding School in Isaan for our (will be 13 year old son) - so would be for the Matthayum stage.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Boarding schools can be amazingly inexpensive if you just want Thai standard. I can't speak for Surin, but a Witiyalaiin in Kalasin City that I know of ,(Mor 3 thru BA degree), charges about 9,000 baht a term for school fee's including boarding. Two terms a year. The boarding portion is currently 1,500 baht a term. I believe it going up to 1,700 baht next term.

Kanjanapisek in Chayaphum is about 40'000 Baht/year incl. boarding.

There are more 'Kanjanapisek' schools in Isaan - if I remember right, one is in Kalasin province. This schools are outside of the cities, rather isolated. They were founded on a celebration of the king, about 10 years ago (50 years on the throne).

I visited Kanjanapisek in Chayaphum three times about 2 years ago. My impressions were mixed: a combination of discipline and young teachers. I got the feeling, that the staff does not really know what to do with all the equipment they have. Another impression: the staff is afraid of things getting out of control, hence a lot of fixed rules and everything that is not actually used is locked away. Even in the dormitories: every student locks his/her locker. Very strict separation of boys and girls. On weekends, many of the kids just hang around and are bored. There is nothing to do - nowhere to go. The atmosphere remembered my sometimes on my time in 'Rektutenschule' (basic training, boot camp) of the Swiss army some 40 years ago :o

On the other side, I got the impression that the kids have good friendships among each others. The young teachers make the atmosphere relaxed. :D

Students are mostly from the nearby villages, only about 20% are boarding in the school.

Regards

Thedi

Khon Kaen Vithes Suksa Bilingual School is about 300'000 Baht a year, including boarding.

This is where my daughter is now in Matayom 2.

The staff is about 50% from New Zealand. They are teachers, not just 'native speakers'. Small classes (20 students). Very personal atmosphere. Only about 20 % of the Matayom students are boarding. The dormitory is on the other side of the town, but a school bus is there for transport. The school follows the N.Z. way of teaching with an emphasis on independent thinking, take responsability, self initiative, critical thinking.

I think this is a good school.

Regards

Thedi

PS: they have a web site: http://www.kkvs.ac.th/

Edited by thedi

St Stephen in Kao Yai (Korat) is 500+K year

I didn't look at this school myself, but remember this post here in thaivisa from 2007 Nov 7:

I taught at the Khao Yai Campus for 1 year. My experience was that teachers leave after 1 year. Very few teachers complete their 2 year contract. The reason I left was the school decided to close and then didn't.

The quality of teaching varies according to the annual intake of teachers. In the year I was at the school there were some very good teachers. In addition there were teachers who liked the karaoke bar/bar girl/beer scene too much.

Its a small school and even though its an 'international school' there are no western students. They are mainly thai chinese and some laos. The students generally struggle with English. The other problem with students is motivation. They come from rich families and aren't motivated to pass IGCSE's. The main behavioural problem with students is sleeping in class.

Overall the school has its faults but if you want a British educations its your only choice in that area. St John Mary in Saraburi is an American international school.

Their website http://www.ststephen.ac.th/ does not give too much info, I found more here: http://www.isat.or.th/member_schools_detai...id=mm4667483083 but a google search may bring better results.

Regards

Thedi

Private Boarding is about 20'000 Baht/year (without school fees)

In Khon Kaen are several private boardings for students. I guess, you should find such private boardings in every town in Isaan. It normally includes a bed in a dormitory and meals in the morning and evening. This is not connected with any school, but most schools know about one or another of this places. For a wild boy there may be too much freedom in a place like that.

Regards

Thedi

Sapillyder and Thedi,

Thank you very much for all your info and help.

It is very interesting to know that:-

a). it is possible to get boarding for some schools in Isaan

and

:o. the costs can vary so widely!!

It has given my wife and I plenty of food for thought over the next month or two. Having done this and when we are next up in Isaan we will obviously have to do some driving around inspecting.

VERY grateful to you both for taking the trouble to reply.