Light Not A Candle To The Sun..... หิ่งห้อยอย่าแข่งแสงจันทร์

kokesaat

Can someone explain how to use the saying หิ่งห้อยอย่าแข่งแสงจันทร์ ? According to the dictionary at thai-language.com it means 'light not a candle to the sun' (comparing the light of a firefly to the sun). Would it be appropriate to use it in comparing "the response by the Burmese government to the cyclone" to "the Chinese government response to the earthquake." If that's not appropriate, I'd appreciate an example of when it would be appropriate.

From the book "๒,๐๐๐ อุปมาอุปไมย" ("Two Thousand Metaphors") by เอกรัตน์ อุดมพร comes the following:

" หิ่งห้อยน้อยแสง แข่งพระอาทิตย์ น. คนต่ำต้อยไม่อาจแข่งคนสูงศักดิ์ . . . "

" 'A firefly (flashing) a small light (tries to) compete with the sun' Noun. (Meaning) a person of low status should not compete with a person of nobility. . . ."

The source reference is the book "อิเหนา" ("Inaw") by King Rama II.

Edited by DavidHouston

Hope I don't confuse anyone, but this expression reminded me of an old song about a match and a sunflower.

This match was in love with the sunflower, but alas, as we all know, sunflowers always turn to face the light from the sun, so the sunflower never even as much as glanced at the match. The match, although it knew the consequences, eventually decided to light itself up, in hopes of the sunflower turning towards it, even if only just once. As the match burned away, the sunflower slowly started to turn its face towards the flame... only to find a little pile of ashes which used to be the match.

ไม้ขีดไฟกับดอกทานตะวัน

วิยะดา โกมารกุล ณ นคร

เจ้าไม้ขีดไฟ ก้านน้อยเดียวดาย

แอบรักดอกทานตะวัน

แรกแย้มยามบาน อวดแสงตะวัน

ช่างงดงามเกินจะเอ่ย

ดอกเหลืองอำพัน ไม่หันมามอง

แม้เหลียวมายังไม่เคย

ไม้ขีดเจ้าเอ๋ย เลยได้แต่ฝัน ข้างเดียว

* ดอกไม้จะบานและหันไปตาม

แต่แสงจากดวงอาทิตย์

จุดตัวเองก็ยอมทันใด ให้ลุกเป็นไฟขึ้นมา

เพียงปรารถนา ให้มีลำแสงสีทอง

เพียงปรารถนา ดอกทานตะวันหันมอง สักครั้ง

เจ้าไม้ขีดไฟ ก้านน้อยเดียวดาย สาดแสงในใจไม่นาน

ดอกเหลืองอำพันจึงหันมามอง และพบเพียงกองเถ้าถ่าน

เจ้าไม้ขีดไฟ ก้านน้อยเดียวดาย เพราะรักจริงใจอย่างนั้น

เพียงแค่เธอหัน เพียงแค่เธอมองก็พอ

(*)

เพียงปรารถนา ให้มีลำแสงสีทอง

เพียงปรารถนา ดอกทานตะวันหันมอง สักครั้ง

• 2 weeks later...

Kitty,

Thanks for the song....and translation. Now I know the words to two Thai songs....the anthem and The Matchstick. Would it be fair/correct to translate 'แอบรักดอกทานตะวัน' as 'she (the matchstick) was secretly in love with the sunflower'? Or, if I'm taking a test and I แอบดูคำตอบที่เพือนเขียน' would it be fair to say 'I sneaked a peek at my friend's answer.'?

Thanks again