Cheaper Baht

I see the baht is getting cheaper...do TV posters think this will be good for them or bad?

For my business I think a cheap Thai baht is a boon.

But As I intend to return to my home country to retire this is not good in the long term.

More money in the Thai economy...more money for me......but will the baht return to its value those halcyon days of 3/4 years ago???

Those were good times, but probably more due to Thaksin being PM than anything else. Hopefully, he will be returning soon!

I'm on the fence.

I changed from US dollar salary to being fixed in Thai baht a couple of years ago so from that perspective a cheaper baht is negative / neutral.

But that's balanced by the fact that all my savings are overseas, generating good fx returns so a cheaper baht is a positive.

a large part of the thai economy is tourism and agricultural exports.

cheaper baht means more tourists and staying longer, maybe some of them renting property long term or even buying, as well as more medical tourists and pensioners spending money on medical and other services.

cheaper baht means more export and more investment in production

A weaker Baht is overall good for the Thai people. A majority of the population is somewhat insulated from the effects of monetary valuation and devaluation as they are locked into living day-by-day. Although some consumer goods do rise in price, the lower Baht will bring more investment and foreign money into the country. A weaker Baht also makes Thai products more attractive on the world market, increasing demand and providing for more jobs.

I would like to see the Baht hover at a round 36 - 38 Baht to the $US, with 40 per dollar being a dream come true for me and my Thai wife. I'd like to get the 800,000 Baht retirement visa requirement in the bank and it would be better if it cost me $20,000 US (40 Baht per dollar) instead of the current $25,000 US based upon an exchange rate of 32 per $US.

Regards to all!

U2B