Pm Ignores Criticism On His Declining Popularity

george

PM ignores criticism on his declining popularity

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Monday challenged his critics by telling them to leave it to the next general election to judge on his declining popularity.

Mr. Thaksin has come under criticisms that he announced a ''kickoff campaign'' yesterday to boost his declining popularity, as the country has faced with several pressing problems, including ongoing bird flu outbreaks and the spate of violence in the country's deep South.

''Criticism is a common thing. We will have to wait and see the results in the next general election. For the time being, I have to work. And as the election is approaching, I will have to help my party members campaigning, especially those who have their constituencies in the South. These members will have to work a lot harder than others,'' said the prime minister.

Mr. Thaksin said he was waiting for the present parliamentary session to complete by the end of November before he could organize trips to visit his Thai Rak Thai Party's constituencies upcountry.

Asked about a public poll which predicted that his party would win in the next election with less seats, Mr. Thaksin said there was still plenty of time before the election.

The Thai leader denied an accusation that he wrote a letter to ask leaders of local administrations nationwide to attend his party's ''kickoff campaign'' on Sunday for an exchange of a raise in their salaries.

''I don't know. But if the local administrative bodies invited other people to join, I don't see any harm because it was about the government's performance. It is a benefit for the Thai people to learn to which direction the country is developed,'' he said.

Asked if the opposition could do the same, Mr. Thaksin said it depended on the local administration bodies because they were independent and he did not ask from their participation.

''I don't have any problem with the opposition's plan to open a similar stage to criticize the government's failures in running the country. I am armed with the right information and clear figures,'' he said.

-- TNA 2004-10-20

Mr. Big has toned down his belligerence by quite a few notches, eh? Not too long ago his response to this type of criticism would have been that his detractors were stupid, didn't know what they were talking about, and had no right to criticize him anyway until they themselves became prime minister.

Mr. Big has toned down his belligerence by quite a few notches, eh? Not too long ago his response to this type of criticism would have been that his detractors were stupid, didn't know what they were talking about, and had no right to criticize him anyway until they themselves became prime minister.

He's probably on some calming medication. :o

Thaksin is forward thinking. Instead of buying votes, and then after winning an election, getting the money back through government graft, he instead uses government funds to buy the votes in the first place.. cows, attendance at meetings, and something else a couple of weks ago.