Gprs Phone- Internet

sundaram444

I have been using a Motorola cell phone to connect as a modem to surf the web.

The speed is 115Kbps. The service provider is True Move.

I am satying in a small village in Isan . Does any one know how to get a faster connection

using the GPRS cell phones and /or a different service provider. True Move says it is not possible

in remote areas.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sundaram

Wow! If you are getting "True" 115 Kbps using your mobile in a "remote village", I would say you are doing real good. I am also in a remote village using AIS service provider and motorola GPRS mobile phone (bluetooth connection to my desktop). On good days I am happy to get 40 Kbps. Only other option where I live is IPSTAR Satelite which is rather expensive and I still hear too many people complain about the reliability to make me want to try it. :o

I am satying in a small village in Isan . Does any one know how to get a faster connection

using the GPRS cell phones and /or a different service provider. True Move says it is not possible

in remote areas.

Sundaram

These are the results of the Thai Visa speed test using a Nokia EDGE capable phone and AIS 12 Call;

Download Speed: 189 kbps (23.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 42 kbps (5.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

The 115 Kbps means nothing except what your computer is capable of. Mine reads 460.8 Kbps. The first thing is to make sure your phone is EDGE capable and the second thing is to find out if EDGE coverage is available in your area. I am out in the boonies where AIS and Dtac have EDGE coverage. True has no signal here. Basic GPRS is very slow by itself.

The easiest way is to buy another SIM card and try it. I paid 99 baht for a Dtac card.

Edited by Gary A

in remote areas.

Sundaram

hi sundram,

i,ve a nokia 6680 and service provider is dtac. i also get 115kbps in udon.

martyn...

in remote areas.

Sundaram

These are the results of the Thai Visa speed test using a Nokia EDGE capable phone and AIS 12 Call;

The 115 Kbps means nothing except what your computer is capable of. Mine reads 460.8 Kbps. The first thing is to make sure your phone is EDGE capable and the second thing is to find out if EDGE coverage is available in your area. I am out in the boonies where AIS and Dtac have EDGE coverage. True has no signal here. Basic GPRS is very slow by itself.

The easiest way is to buy another SIM card and try it. I paid 99 baht for a Dtac card.

Interesting, Gary...that you have EDGE coverage out in the "boonies". And for all I know, maybe I have it now, but my phone doesn't have the capability....figures :o Guess I need to get an EDGE capable phone and give it a try! Just speed checked with my standard GPRS using Thai Visa test:

Download Speed: 65 kbps (8.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 14 kbps (1.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

in remote areas.

Sundaram

Interesting, Gary...that you have EDGE coverage out in the "boonies". And for all I know, maybe I have it now, but my phone doesn't have the capability....figures :o Guess I need to get an EDGE capable phone and give it a try! Just speed checked with my standard GPRS using Thai Visa test:

I actually found out I had EDGE coverage by accident. I told TOT to take their Shitstar and put it where the sun doesn't shine. I was set to buy the CDMA EVDO but found out there is no coverage for CDMA here in my area. That left me with only GPRS as an option. I had tried GPRS and found it to be pathetically slow. I was using a Solomon modem that was NOT EDGE capable. My EDGE capable phone was a LOT faster than the Solomon. I am using a Nokia E51 now and it works great with both Dtac and AIS. Dtac is better right now but that is not always the case. The E51 shows a little (E) icon in the top left hand corner of the screen. I'm quite satisfied especially after my Shitstar experience and looking forward to 3G service.

I bought a new Nokia 3110 Classic phone last week to use the Dtac EDGE and to be a spare. Unfortunately it was stolen from my hotel room and I didn't even have a chance to try it. It is a pain to change SIM card back and forth. Now I have to buy a new Dtac SIM too.

Gary, are these speeds ok for supporting viseo calling on msn.......................i too have ipstar and thinking of changing but need to make weekly web calls back home...............thanks

I can't answer that because I have never tried it. The speed with AIS seems to go up and down like a yo-yo so I wouldn't have a lot of confidence that it would work. Dtac seems a lot more stable right now.

I told TOT to take their Shitstar and put it where the sun doesn't shine.

Gary . I cannot believe that they have not offered you a job as head of promotions yet. :o

I have had all three of their packages and couldn't tell the difference between any of them except for download speed. All the packages were really pathetic. I think what irritated me most of all is that some people apparently have good service. I canceled CX Loxinfo and got TOT. That meant a new dish and box. TOT also gave me a new box when I upgraded to 1024/512. They blamed my computer but my fairly new Lenovo laptop gave the same pathetic results. They got as sick of me as I was of them.

AIS speed varies considerably. I am fortunate in being an insomniac as during the small hours to dawn speed is generally very good. Day time, forget it, early evening hopeless same. I haven't a clue, but always figured it is slow when more people are using their phones?

I can't answer that because I have never tried it. The speed with AIS seems to go up and down like a yo-yo so I wouldn't have a lot of confidence that it would work. Dtac seems a lot more stable right now.

Wow! If you are getting "True" 115 Kbps using your mobile in a "remote village", I would say you are doing real good. I am also in a remote village using AIS service provider and motorola GPRS mobile phone (bluetooth connection to my desktop). On good days I am happy to get 40 Kbps. Only other option where I live is IPSTAR Satelite which is rather expensive and I still hear too many people complain about the reliability to make me want to try it. :o

in remote areas.

Sundaram

Thanks to all those who replied .

The indicator on data transfer shows 230 Kbps,but it is , however , slow.

I am going to try a Black berry model 8700

next week , when I visit the True Miove shop

in Khorat .I will inform if this one gives me better data transfer.

-Sundaram

• 5 months later...

I use DTAC EDGE with a Nokia 6681 and it was very slow until I stopped using Bluetooth and got a Nokia/USB cable, it's much faster, but I find it's not too good for Skype as the data seems to be sent in bursts.

GPRS is not suitable for VOIP/Skype and similar due to low bandwidth and packet loss (Especially in Thailand). Some say it can be used, but it will require a stable connection with a strong signal, which is rare in the sticks, but i reckon the audio would still be patchy

Can view Youtube videos but will probably have to wait for a while for it to load, however, when I sometimes use GPRS I am able to stream BBC Radio on the dialup setting.

Totster :o

I use DTAC EDGE with a Nokia 6681 and it was very slow until I stopped using Bluetooth and got a Nokia/USB cable, it's much faster, but I find it's not too good for Skype as the data seems to be sent in bursts.

I have also found using the USB cable for PC to phone connection to be better than Bluetooth. Performance much better.

in remote areas.

Sundaram

I actually found out I had EDGE coverage by accident. I told TOT to take their Shitstar and put it where the sun doesn't shine. I was set to buy the CDMA EVDO but found out there is no coverage for CDMA here in my area. That left me with only GPRS as an option. I had tried GPRS and found it to be pathetically slow. I was using a Solomon modem that was NOT EDGE capable. My EDGE capable phone was a LOT faster than the Solomon. I am using a Nokia E51 now and it works great with both Dtac and AIS. Dtac is better right now but that is not always the case. The E51 shows a little (E) icon in the top left hand corner of the screen. I'm quite satisfied especially after my Shitstar experience and looking forward to 3G service.

I bought a new Nokia 3110 Classic phone last week to use the Dtac EDGE and to be a spare. Unfortunately it was stolen from my hotel room and I didn't even have a chance to try it. It is a pain to change SIM card back and forth. Now I have to buy a new Dtac SIM too.

I had exactly the same, a Solomon modem that was NOT EDGE capable and ludicrously slow. Also bought a Nokia 3110 Classic phone last week , never got nicked thought. Difference is unbelievable, using AIS and have EDGE coverage 50km outside Sakon Nakhon city. More than happy with it compared with Soloman also half the price.

in remote areas.

Sundaram

I run a Sierra Wireless 880E card on either AIS or dtac. Works fine.