Coming For 6-9 Months - T Cheques Or Credit Card

hi all,

coming to los for 6-9 months at end of june(non imm multi o visa)

now im not sure what is my best bet for monetary options,as my longest stay previous has been 6 week.s

i have always used travellers cheques(due to them being the safest to use)

is it safer to carry on using t cheques,or would one recommend using a card.

are credit/debit cards safe in thai atms,as i worry if i have a problem i am up the creek as opposed to t cheques.

i know credit cards are more convenient,and would use if safe,as i dont fancy bring about £15000 of t cheques.

my debit card is a maestro current account from yorkshire bank.i cannot find anything on their website

telling me what charges for using abroad.

iv thought about bringing say £5000 in t/c as well as the card.

any advice would be welcome.

thankyou

I'd figure out a way to use all of them. Give yourself the flexibility of having several ways to access money, so that if your travelers cheques or credit card gets lost / stolen, you won't be completely up sh*t creek.

I would strongly advise opening an account with Nationwide Building Society. You'll get a Visa Debit card when you open a Flexaccount, and with that card all your withdrawals abroad are free of charges. They are the only UK Bank/Building Society offering this. They must have saved me a small fortune on withdrawal fees. They also offer online banking, which is easy to use. I've been living in Thailand for 3 years now, using Nationwide and their cards in ATM machines and I've never had a problem. I do have a Barclays account and cards for back up though, just incase any problems should occur.

Edited by thecatman

If you lose a card, at least it can be cancelled and replaced.

I did have an ATM swallow my HSBC card in Samui. I went to the banks main branch explained what happened, produced my passport and had my card returned to me the same day.

I would go 50/50,put the TC in a Thai Bank account ,which you will open ,see Thai Visa Forum Guide to opening an account.

Then you can make a little interest ,while still getting funds from ATM card.

:o Wiley Coyote

About 0.3% APR for non residents :D:D :D

Edited by geoffphuket

Hi CM Foxy

The above is a good idea, if you(and N'Wide) have the time to complete the account opening formalities plus get your card(s).

Its a good back up to have Cr cards in case of emergencies but NO GOOD for obtaining cash. You may well find that the cards would be blocked as the bank might see these transactions as possibly fraudulent.It happen to me once, just in-case you think I am scaremongering. Give the card companies a ring to tell them you are traveling to LOS, is a good idea. Please note that generally one can only take out in cash about 10% of your Credit Limit and thats why I suggest using them for bills providing you can repay on-line whilst in LOS or Emergencies. They are an expensive option all round.

I brought out a combination of Cash(remember that old fashioned stuff) and AmX travelers cheques. As mentioned above, opening a Thai account (if possible) is a good idea.

TO SUMMARIZE IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE

Use Nationwide card, If possible.

Take travelers cheques cos they are safe and replaceable.

use Cr cards for bills (if repayment while abroad is possible)

use Cr cards for emergency cash ONLY.

Take Sterling Cash (risk but up to you, I did)

DAVE

(ex Bank Manager & Plumber)

Edited by Dave the Dude

I would strongly advise opening an account with Nationwide Building Society. You'll get a Visa Debit card when you open a Flexaccount, and with that card all your withdrawals abroad are free of charges. They are the only UK Bank/Building Society offering this. They must have saved me a small fortune on withdrawal fees. They also offer online banking, which is easy to use. I've been living in Thailand for 3 years now, using Nationwide and their cards in ATM machines and I've never had a problem. I do have a Barclays account and cards for back up though, just incase any problems should occur.

Seconded. HSBC also offer free banking abroad with some of their accounts but beware, they will only give you the offshore exchange rate so although you save on bank charges it will cost you a small fortune on the exchange rate. Nationwide is free banking and you get the onshore rate. If you do on line banking remember to take the card reader they supply for added internet security with you.

One thing you want to watch out for if you opt to use (any) travelers cheques: the Thai exchange booths/banks levy a flat per-cheque service charge when they are cashed/exchanged. For this reason, you should avoid using small denomination cheques.

hi all,

coming to los for 6-9 months at end of june(non imm multi o visa)

now im not sure what is my best bet for monetary options,as my longest stay previous has been 6 week.s

i have always used travellers cheques(due to them being the safest to use)

is it safer to carry on using t cheques,or would one recommend using a card.

are credit/debit cards safe in thai atms,as i worry if i have a problem i am up the creek as opposed to t cheques.

i know credit cards are more convenient,and would use if safe,as i dont fancy bring about £15000 of t cheques.

my debit card is a maestro current account from yorkshire bank.i cannot find anything on their website

telling me what charges for using abroad.

iv thought about bringing say £5000 in t/c as well as the card.

any advice would be welcome.

thankyou

nationwide debit/visa, no charge, credit card is safest as if its stolen/misused the credit card company will knock it off your acount and investigae, not so easy on a debit card,.

Ditto....Never had a problem and used all over thailand; good rates and no charges. Use bank ATMs rather than isolated shop ones, it saveguards against ATMs that may swallow your card. (that said, its never happened to me)

If you have the time get yourself a Nationwide Flexaccount & ATM card - activate the internet banking - then apply for another Flexaccount & ATM card online. You can make instant transfers from one account to the other on the internet so if you lose one card you can just shift your dosh to the other account. They'll let you open up to 5 accounts before they start asking questions.

...everything posted above and....

Commincate to the various banks that you will be travelling in Thailand and that your contact details will be via a Thai telephone number or particular person in the UK.

Have the relavent contact details for their call centers with international access numbers with you.

Set up an automated payment system to get your card bills paid directly.

Keep copies of your details in different places to ensure that a theft does not screw up access to all your funds.

Some banks will cancel all cards that you have with them in you report only one lost - beware.

I've got a Nationwide account but I haven't set-up online banking.

When I get around to doing it can I transfer funds from other accounts, say a NatWest Business account?

RAZZ

Yes, I'm always transferring funds online between my Barclays current account and my Nationwide flexaccount. As long as you have online banking with both accounts.

If you have an ATM card with the "PLUS!" symbol on it, that is all you need.

I always bring a heap of cash, in good condition.

Change at Forex booth once out of airside at airport.

Swampy always seems to give best FX rates, strange, but I always use them.

You are able to use your regular, ATM card, at most ATM machines to withdraw, to cover any cash shortfall that may occur.

My NZ bank charges 125 baht each withdrawalI usually have enuf cash, but one never knows.

Only used it a couple of times when deciding to extend my trips.

Beware of using credit cards other than in hotels, shops a no no, let alone 3% tax on use of cards.

Visa slapped limit on my card 3 times in last 12 months, after LOS trips. Hadda get replacements.

Travellers cheques are a rip off.

Edited by Zpete