U.p.s With Bad Smell.

pop3

I purchaced a Leonics 500 va UPS. charged it for 8 hours like the guy in the shop said then connected it to my computer and LCD monitor. after about 15/20 minuits I could smell a strong chemical sort of smell, the UPS was not hot only slightly warm, after a while I disconnected it and took it outside, I then reconected it to the mains and left it on all night hoping the smell was just the fact it was new, but next day the smell was just as bad so I took it back to the shop, the guy in the shop said yes it does smell and offerd to replace it for me,

I said ok but I don't want the same make I want to change, he said ok, I paid some more money and exchanged it for a PowerMatic IMD 525 AP. I brought it home charged it for 8 hours connected it up to my computer and monitor and to my surprize this new UPS started to smell as well ? again it run's cool and all the readings are normal but the smell is something I can't live with, so bad after a while it pick's your throat ! I have a friend who has the same model UPS and has had it now over two years and he say's his does not smell, Is it possible I have two dud units even tho they are both of a different make ?

I use the APC unit under my desk as a footstool, so it smells kinda like feet, but nothing else!

Memo to APC Thailand, "If a user called 'Bino' requests service send the engineer you really hate" :o

To the OP, can you describe the smell more, does it smell of burning electronics or something else? I find it hard to believe that two units from different manufacturers can make the same pong (famous last words).

can you describe the smell more, does it smell of burning electronics or something else?

I would describe it as burning electronics, The thing is I am not overloading it, all I run is the pc and monitor, but as I said before the smell is there even on stand by ? I like you think it is very strange to have both the UPS having the same problem's ?

First Thanh-BKK had an issue wit a Burning Computer that just died on him. Now here we are with another computer related burning problem.

What's with these devices? Does it have anything to do with the spikes in the current coming out from the wall?

Edited by sensei

... Is it possible I have two dud units even tho they are both of a different make ?

I would say it is very unlikely.

So what is common about these installations, apart from the smell? You've obviously done some re-wiring: plugging your UPS into a mains socket and plugging your equipment into your UPS outputs.

I think you need to get down on your knees and start sniffing around all the new cables - maybe remove the cables from their respective sockets and give them a good sniff as there may be a bad connection arcing and burning the insulation somewhere.

P.S. My 3 UPS's don't (and have never) smelled. :o

JetsetBkk is right on the money.

You might be smelling something else in the setup.

Check everything before anything gets seriously damaged.

Edited by sensei

What is the voltage comming from the wall outlet, ever checked?? Not what it should be, but what it really is.

Did you have a ups before? If yes what happened to it.

The power coming from the wall socket goes from 216/222 volts depending on time of day.

This is the first time I have ever had a UPS.

Good point about the cables possibly smelling but I have checked every one of them and they are fine.

Just to try something last night I took the UPS outside to my shed and left it on all night connected to nothing at all. this morning when I walked in the shed the smell was just as bad ?

I purchaced a Leonics 500 va UPS. charged it for 8 hours like the guy in the shop said then connected it to my computer and LCD monitor. after about 15/20 minuits I could smell a strong chemical sort of smell, the UPS was not hot only slightly warm, after a while I disconnected it and took it outside, I then reconected it to the mains and left it on all night hoping the smell was just the fact it was new, but next day the smell was just as bad so I took it back to the shop, the guy in the shop said yes it does smell and offerd to replace it for me,

I said ok but I don't want the same make I want to change, he said ok, I paid some more money and exchanged it for a PowerMatic IMD 525 AP. I brought it home charged it for 8 hours connected it up to my computer and monitor and to my surprize this new UPS started to smell as well ? again it run's cool and all the readings are normal but the smell is something I can't live with, so bad after a while it pick's your throat ! I have a friend who has the same model UPS and has had it now over two years and he say's his does not smell, Is it possible I have two dud units even tho they are both of a different make ?

:o I don't think any ups should smell...especially not "burning electronics" smell as you describe. Questions:

1. You say the AC mains is about 216 to 222 volts? That is a little low for a 230 volt system. Maybe not a problem, but as the voltage is lower, you will draw more current for the same wattage. More current= more heat.

2. Is it in an enclosed place (like under a desk) with little ventilation? You might want a fan to move air around over it. Even if the whole unit doesn't get hot, there may be hot spots that need to have cool air moving over them. It wouldn't hurt to try a fan.

1. You say the AC mains is about 216 to 222 volts? That is a little low for a 230 volt system. Maybe not a problem, but as the voltage is lower, you will draw more current for the same wattage. More current= more heat.

2. Is it in an enclosed place (like under a desk) with little ventilation? You might want a fan to move air around over it. Even if the whole unit doesn't get hot, there may be hot spots that need to have cool air moving over them. It wouldn't hurt to try a fan.

Actually Thailand is a 220V/230V system (although most of the country seems to be 220V). A 10% tolerance on supply voltage is not uncommon, +-10% of 220V is 198-242, +-10% of 230V is 207-253V so in reality any voltage between 198V and 253V is both possible and acceptable. Equipment is (should be) designed to handle these variations (and more in the case of a UPS).

Point 2 is valid, although it doesn't really explain the 'shed' results (no load, not under the desk).

A point to bear in mind is that these low end UPS's are 'off-line' types, the electronics doesn't do any work other than charging the battery until the mains actually goes off, wherupon the electronics kicks in to power the load, there is a slight glitch on switch over that your PC PSU handles. The more (much more) expensive 'on line' UPS's power the load at all times, there is no switch over glitch.

I'm still at a loss to explain why two different units gave the same aroma :o

Did you ground the power line going into the UPS?

No I have not ground my UPS.

Thank's for all the advice guys much appreciated. One point I could add is the UPS is used in an aircon room at a temperature of 26/27d and the UPS is in the open.