Change Car Exhaust

4.real

I had a loose exhaust on my car . A garage changed my exhaust [reasonable price] but I have noticed that my previous exhaust had a catalytic converter but the new one does not. The car runs ok but can this different exhaust cause any future problems.

Thanks in advance. 4.Real.

I had a loose exhaust on my car . A garage changed my exhaust [reasonable price] but I have noticed that my previous exhaust had a catalytic converter but the new one does not. The car runs ok but can this different exhaust cause any future problems.

A catalytic converter is a device installed in automobiles that is designed to reduce harmful emissions released from the vehicle’s exhaust.

When your car is road checked for your new registration the exhaust ouput is checked for emissions and that is when you could have a big problem,in the form of a fine and having to replace it.

I'm not sure, but believe catalytic converter are no longer required since petrol is unleaded.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

cheers

onzestan

I doubt emissions are a big priority to the local coppers.

With your fuel system in good condition your CO levels at the exhaust should be well within Thai standards. CO only gets checked after your car gets 10 years old.

Actually the precious metal recyclers to a roaring trade in Thailand, since quite a few Thai blokes remove the cat straight away trying to gain some extra power from the engine!

These cat's then get bought from the car shops and exported to countries where they have the equipment to extract the precious metals inside!

I'm not sure, but believe catalytic converter are no longer required since petrol is unleaded.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

cheers

onzestan

Catalytic converters were never designed to remove lead and its compounds. Lead poisons the catalyst matrix in convertertic converters. Catalytic converters are intended to remove the oxides of nitrogen and sulphur from automobile exhaust gases. Removing the converter will raise the power output by 2-3 bhp but, as far as breaking any emissins laws in Thailand, who cares anyway?

With some car engines the removal of the catalytic converter will upset the car computer system and the engine will not run correctly as there is a sensor that comes from the cat on most cars.

If your engine is running uneven then you will know why.

With some car engines the removal of the catalytic converter will upset the car computer system and the engine will not run correctly as there is a sensor that comes from the cat on most cars.

Thanks to all who responded. As stated my car runs ok and no emissions.

Yes, you're right about the sensor(s) but removal of the convertor won't upset the running of the engine. There are usually two sensors; the first sensor is situated upstream of the convertor and is used to control the fuel injection system. It tells the engine management system how much oxygen is in the exhaust and so the engine management system will adjust the mixture. The engine will run at peak efficiency and there will be enough oxygen in the exhaust to convert the unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide.

The other sensor is sited downstream of the convertor This sensor isn't used to adjust the mixture but simply to check the performance of the convertor. It is used as a diagnostic tool only. :o