Con Artists

Having a little nap this afternoon,my wife wakes me up to say that there is 2 army policeman (their description of themselves) collecting donations.So I said well if they look legit, give them some money.

Next thing I know, one of them is at the bottom of the stairs yelling out hello hello,so I go downstairs & come face to face with 2 individuals dressed all in black,with ID cards.He then proceeds to tell me they are collecting for the army people hurt down south ,shows a magazine with a picture of his Majesty on the cover,telling me it's for his birthday donations.Then he shows me pictures inside the cover & says that is him there & they are collecting for wheelchairs Bht 6,500 & oxygen tanks Bht 4,000.So I said ok here is a donation,he said no he wanted the full amount for either items. So I said a donation is a donation, he showed his receipt book (in his own handwritting it seems) with donations for the above amounts.Sure I said, just let me ring my friend in the police to confirm all this,at this stage he said no need, by the time I went to get my phone, they bolted. They are driving a black utility,older model,looks in good condition,lowered with alloy wheels.Now I have come accross this type of scam before,usually they walk around bars, but never had anyone knock on my door & be so brazen.

I am really worried too that they wanted to have a look in the house.

Got me rattled now.Oh by the way tried to call Tourist police & Nathon police just to ask & maybe give them a heads up, NO answer.

Having a little nap this afternoon,my wife wakes me up to say that there is 2 army policeman (their description of themselves) collecting donations.So I said well if they look legit, give them some money.

Next thing I know, one of them is at the bottom of the stairs yelling out hello hello,so I go downstairs & come face to face with 2 individuals dressed all in black,with ID cards.He then proceeds to tell me they are collecting for the army people hurt down south ,shows a magazine with a picture of his Majesty on the cover,telling me it's for his birthday donations.Then he shows me pictures inside the cover & says that is him there & they are collecting for wheelchairs Bht 6,500 & oxygen tanks Bht 4,000.So I said ok here is a donation,he said no he wanted the full amount for either items. So I said a donation is a donation, he showed his receipt book (in his own handwritting it seems) with donations for the above amounts.Sure I said, just let me ring my friend in the police to confirm all this,at this stage he said no need, by the time I went to get my phone, they bolted. They are driving a black utility,older model,looks in good condition,lowered with alloy wheels.Now I have come accross this type of scam before,usually they walk around bars, but never had anyone knock on my door & be so brazen.

Got me rattled now.Oh by the way tried to call Tourist police & Nathon police just to ask & maybe give them a heads up, NO answer.

Rooo, when you leave your house, leave the radio and lights on, some help it is! But the worst about your post is the no answer at the Police x 2. That just isn't right! :o Good luck and hope they were just passing thru and will leave the Island, but I would report them to the Police in person anyways, just so you have it's done! :D Good luck and good tip to others here! :D Edited by SamuiJens

Rooo, I had a similar situation a month ago. I gave them a donation whch they gladly accepted having first pointed out that I had just purchased a wheelchair for 4000 Baht from Tesco Lotus. They also left me with a magazine and momento. I did feel that they were genuine, however having read your post, I wonder......perhaps there is a genuine and fake group out there. I wouldn't be surprised.

Just out of curiosity & based on Roo's description of theoir Paraphanalia, would they, if caught, be charged with soemthing like using the King's Face in illegal goings on ??

I think there is an official term for it but can't remember what it actually is ??

Just think about this, as I mentioned earlier one guy came to the stairwell & started yelling hello.Now I find that very strange,for someone to take the liberty of walking around someone's house.When I quizzed my wife a bit further, she mentioned they asked her if she was alone.

So my gut feeling is still the same,beware.

Speaking of donation scams, what about the people who go around bars collectiing for children and giving a colorful receipt written in Thai? I asked a Thai I was with if they were legit and was told "sometimes yes, sometimes no". They always want a few hundred minimum but I give a 100 "take it or leave it" donation which isn't bad considering they are probably scamming.

Here's a related story of what happened to me in Hong Kong not long ago. A monk (or a guy dressed like a monk) came up to me with the obligatory book to write down your name and donated amount. The donations shown were all at least 1000 HK$ (over 4000 baht). Yeah, I'm sure. I offered 100 HK$ and signed my name. Then he changed the 100 to 200 and looked at me for another 100. I laughed at his audacity and gave him the extra 100 because I thought it was so funny. I ran when he started another line with 200 HK$ and stuck his hand out. I did get a cool, hard plastic biz card size card with a monk on it. Came in very handy when approached by other monks. Just showed them and they left me alone.

........ tried to call Tourist police & Nathon police just to ask & maybe give them a heads up, NO answer.

Well this is a common known problem and just been discussed at a public meeting in Bangkok Samui Hospital with representatives of Immigration Officials, Police and Tourist Police.

Mr. Noel Kelly, Volunteer at Tourist Police Ko Samui said this: "Always call the Tourist Police, no Matter what the incident. We will then be the bridge to the islands police department if necessary."

Call: 077-414198 or 077-421281

Edited by Samuian

Here's a related story of what happened to me in Hong Kong not long ago. A monk (or a guy dressed like a monk) came up to me with the obligatory book to write down your name and donated amount. The donations shown were all at least 1000 HK$ (over 4000 baht). Yeah, I'm sure. I offered 100 HK$ and signed my name. Then he changed the 100 to 200 and looked at me for another 100. I laughed at his audacity and gave him the extra 100 because I thought it was so funny. I ran when he started another line with 200 HK$ and stuck his hand out. I did get a cool, hard plastic biz card size card with a monk on it. Came in very handy when approached by other monks. Just showed them and they left me alone.

Very similar to the "monks" who do the rounds for donations in KL. After I refused a few I gave one of them 1 MYR and got an "amulet" plastic card in return. From then on just showed the card and they bu66ered off.

Well they came back again today,seemed to be checking who is home.By the time I went to get camera they left.So called the tourist Police ,told them what took place & voiced my concerns.They told me they had several complaints about them & they are looking for them, they even described the car,they are SCAM ARTISTS & in my opinion involved in house break ins.They also warned me about scams at the moment, with people collecting for China erthquake & the Cyclone,which they think they might be involved with.

So if anyone sees them , call the police.

How about the Scam for disabled Children funds to enable them to have an education?

Makes it hard to donate,you don't know what is right or what is fake.