Passport Expired, Embassy Denied To Extend, What Now ?

Hi,

there is an issue, which would really interest me:

what does somebody do, when his / her Passport expires and the Consular/Embassy denied to extend or to give a new Passport.

The Reason, unknown.

Please dont Response this topic with answers, like:

"have to go to home then" or similar postings are not needed,this I know by myself.

there should be a possibility to get travel Documents from the foreign ministery in Thailand, which is valid for 1 year.

for positive and informative answers, thanks in advance.

A friend had this happen to him and he was forced to return to Canada and face charges. There was nothing he could do here in Thailand and they wouldn't even tell him what the charges were until he returned home. Hope this helps.

Same thing happened to friend of mine when he was living in the UK, his passport was about to expire and the SA embassy refused to give him a new one as there was a case against him back in SA. They did issue him with a temporary travel document that only allowed him to travel to SA though.

A friend of mine had his passport confiscated by the US Embassy in Bangkok. He was accused of being behind on child support payments. As it was, he had left the US and paid off the little support that was left. His daughter was about to turn 18 years old so he paid his ex-wife directly before he left. Unfortunately those payments go through the state so there was no record. Naturally his ex-wife didn't bother to tell the state. After weeks of grief and expensive phone calls, he got it straightened out and his passport was returned to him.

but there is a book named THAI LAW FOR FOREIGNERS, there is on Page a description about a Law here in Thailand, that the Foreign Ministery of thailand is giving a document valid for a Year (page 148 in the Thai Law for Foreginers), when the Embassy of the own Country denied to give the extension, however...

further, is there a chance for applying as a REFUGE at the UNHCR in Thailand, when in the homeland of the refused passport holder is internal War in the Homeland ???

further, is there a chance for applying as a REFUGE at the UNHCR in Thailand, when in the homeland of the refused passport holder is internal War in the Homeland ???

I would have thought this means 'When there is a war going on in the persons country and there is a possibility that his life is in danger if he is returned there'

example: An Iraqi being returned to Irag.

Depending on how much money you have some countries will issue a passport from that country. Or in downtown BKK there have been people on the street issuing passports from the country of your choice. I think they may be in BKK Hilton now but there are probably others. :o

Yeah,I was expecting such postings on this Topic, cause there are always People making Jokes from other Peoples problematic situations.

But, I am not interested in buying a new Passport on the Street. I think, if I would be interested on something illegal, this Topic would not be here.

joskydive, you're right.

it is this, what you mean. does anyone has any experience or know someone, or shall this Person better contact a Lawyer in thailand ?

joskydive, you're right.

it is this, what you mean. does anyone has any experience or know someone, or shall this Person better contact a Lawyer in thailand ?

To be honest, if I were in this situation I'd be getting some legal advise as soon as possible. I think I would also be contacting relatives in my home country to find out why my passport is cancelled aswell. At least then, if you know why, you are more likely to be able to deal with the situation.

The position as outlined, that is the passport has expired and there is an embassy/consular representation in the kingdom, means that it is unlikely that the MoFA would issue a travel document, further, showing just cause {political status for example} would be problematic as well.

A few questions, 1. What country? 2. Does the OP know why such an action has been undertaken? 3. Does the OP {or whomsoever the individual in this situation is} still have the original issued passport? If so what is the period of validity?

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Hi,

there is an issue, which would really interest me:

what does somebody do, when his / her Passport expires and the Consular/Embassy denied to extend or to give a new Passport.

The Reason, unknown.

Please dont Response this topic with answers, like:

"have to go to home then" or similar postings are not needed,this I know by myself.

there should be a possibility to get travel Documents from the foreign ministery in Thailand, which is valid for 1 year.

for positive and informative answers, thanks in advance.

Hi there.

Surely the Embassy/Consulate has a duty to inform its citizen as to WHY they have denied renewing their passport. If the EMbassy/Consulate is NOt based in Thailand - and many are not - then you/he/she should be able to contact the nearest country where there IS an Embassy/Consulate to ascertain the reason why....

IF it is because the holder is wanted in connection with alleged crimes etc in their home country then at least you know why. And if you plan to apply for political refugee status at the UN, I would imagine the first thing the UN will check is your name and background via the nearest Embassy/Consulate etc, so this is one of the key things you should know in order to make your application for refugee status.

IF it is because the country is in a civil war and there are no Embassies/Consulates...(can this be?), then I would suggest contacting the UN directly.

Regardless, I would imagine a reputable competent lawyer would be vital in order to progress further.

I'm assuming that the person in question is currently either living in Thailand with an expired passport and therefore no valid visa, or alternatively being held in the IDC (Immigration Detention Centre) at Suan Phlu. A competent and skillful lawyer should also be able to assist in these matters.

If you don't know any lawyers, I would suggest contacting any of the Embassies (British, American, French, German, Australian etc) and asking for their advice re: Professional lawyers who deal with the UN and Refugees. I would NOT rely on the "ambulance chaser" lawyers who hang around Suan Phlu and who will promise you they can help - after you have handed over a lot of cash etc. :o

It may very well depend on the country of origin of the Embassy/Consulate and the reason why the passport renewal request has been rejected.

Best of luck with everything.

Andiamo :D

Edited by Andiamo

If in the unlikley even you qualified for one of these Thai issued travel document (I'm assuming that MFA would look into the reason why you are being denied a passport) I'd also suggest looking to the ability to travel on them and the need to get visas.

I'm sure that there is some mechanism there that makes these documents difficult to for people avoiding the law in their home country, and the issueance is bound by an agreeded set of international protocols.

Whatever the case, there is the phone number to call on the pages george gave you. Will be interested to see your report back on ringing those numbers!

The position as outlined, that is the passport has expired and there is an embassy/consular representation in the kingdom, means that it is unlikely that the MoFA would issue a travel document, further, showing just cause {political status for example} would be problematic as well.

A few questions, 1. What country? 2. Does the OP know why such an action has been undertaken? 3. Does the OP {or whomsoever the individual in this situation is} still have the original issued passport? If so what is the period of validity?

Regards

Hello, thank you for the informations.

i want to answer your questions:

1. What country? TURKEY

2. Does the OP know why such an action has been undertaken? No, only, it is possible military case and can not get any information.

3. still have the original issued passport? Yes, and valid visa as well

4. If so what is the period of validity? 1 year valid

I agree with Samran, think it would be highly unlikely you would get a Thai issued EC to travel on.

Further to my post above, I do understand that even if the Embassy/Consulate will NOT issue a passport renewal, they should be able to issue you with a Laissez-Passez (A travelling document usually valid for only 7 days and only valid from Bangkok to Country of Passport origin).

Then the person can sort out his/her papers out in his/her home country......

Edited by Andiamo

It looks like to get travel documents for the MoFA, you need to have permanent residence in Thailand or be a stateless person.

To get the emergency certificate, you need to be a political refugee, or can't get a passport from your embassy/consulate because they are not in Thailand. Nothing about getting one because your embassy does not want to give you one.

Regards

1. What country? TURKEY

2. Does the OP know why such an action has been undertaken? No, only, it is possible military case and can not get any information.

1) Was the person born in Turkey or does he/she hold Turkish citizenship (along with their home country passport?).

3) Has the passport expired already? It is just the visa that is still valid?

Hi there.

Surely the Embassy/Consulate has a duty to inform its citizen as to WHY they have denied renewing their passport. If the EMbassy/Consulate is NOt based in Thailand - and many are not - then you/he/she should be able to contact the nearest country where there IS an Embassy/Consulate to ascertain the reason why....

IF it is because the holder is wanted in connection with alleged crimes etc in their home country then at least you know why. And if you plan to apply for political refugee status at the UN, I would imagine the first thing the UN will check is your name and background via the nearest Embassy/Consulate etc, so this is one of the key things you should know in order to make your application for refugee status.

IF it is because the country is in a civil war and there are no Embassies/Consulates...(can this be?), then I would suggest contacting the UN directly.

Regardless, I would imagine a reputable competent lawyer would be vital in order to progress further.

Presumably, the person in question is currently either living in Thailand with an expired passport and therefore no valid visa, or alternatively being held in the IDC (Immigration Detention Centre) at Suan Phlu. A competent and skillful lawyer should also be able to assist in these matters.

If you don't know any lawyers, I would suggest contacting any of the Embassies (British, American, French, German, Australian etc) and asking for their advice re: Professional lawyers who deal with the UN and Refugees. I would NOT rely on the "ambulance chaser" lawyers who hang around Suan Phlu and who will promise you they can help - after you have handed over a lot of cash etc. :o

It may very well depend on the country of origin of the Embassy/Consulate and the reason why the passport renewal request has been rejected.

Best of luck with everything.

Andiamo :D

Thanks for your reply,

no, there is NO crime or similare made.

the Passport holder lives since long Time in Thailand, officially of course,with business and needed Visa for the Kingdom.

The embassy is not being helpful at all. no answers for the questions.

they just refuse to renew.

it is also not possible to ask the embassy about a Lawyer for help. So, what to do ???

Regards

1. What country? TURKEY

1) Was the person born in Turkey or does he/she hold Turkish citizenship (along with their home country passport?).

The Passport itself is still Valid for the next 1 year.

the Person was born in Turkey,but raised in an europan Country.

It looks like to get travel documents for the MoFA, you need to have permanent residence in Thailand or be a stateless person.

To get the emergency certificate, you need to be a political refugee, or can't get a passport from your embassy/consulate because they are not in Thailand. Nothing about getting one because your embassy does not want to give you one.

Point of correction, "Foreigners whose passports or travel documenets are lost...and no consular missions of that national are in Thailand".

In this case, you will get asked

1) WHERE it was lost,

2) WHEN it was lost,

3) Did you make a Police report of your loss? If not, why not?

4) WHAT, WHEN & HOW were your last entry and exit info into Thailand

Be prepared for many many questions.....

Point of correction, "Foreigners whose passports or travel documenets are lost...and no consular missions of that national are in Thailand".

In this case, you will get asked

1) WHERE it was lost,

2) WHEN it was lost,

3) Did you make a Police report of your loss? If not, why not?

4) WHAT, WHEN & HOW were your last entry and exit info into Thailand

Be prepared for many many questions.....

Thank you, actually its not myself in this situation, but thisPerson has not lost the Passport or something similar.

we try to find out, how we can get more information about this case.

There are plenty of Refugees with a similar case, that they get extremly beaten & tortured by the turkish military for NOTHING and they are leaving illegal the country andapplying for political refugee in the neighbour countries. so, why should this person not be able to make the same here in the Kingdom ?!?

[/b]

Regards

1. What country? TURKEY

You said that the passport is still valid for another year, so why can't the person fly back to Turkey to deal with the Authorities there and get another passport issued directly if the Embassy/Consulate in Bangkok are being unhelpful?

Just an idea ...you mentioned the person was raised in another European country does he/she have citizenship of that country? If so, why not use that passport????

The Turkish national being denied a new passport by his country’s embassy/consulate in Thailand without a reason should write to the Turkish foreign ministry to complain and ask how to get a new passport under these circumstances. See here for the address:

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/contact-us.en.mfa

--

Maestro

Thank you, actually its not myself in this situation, but thisPerson has not lost the Passport or something similar.

There are plenty of Refugees with a similar case, that they get extremly beaten & tortured by the turkish military for NOTHING and they are leaving illegal the country andapplying for political refugee in the neighbour countries. so, why should this person not be able to make the same here in the Kingdom ?!?

[/b]

As I stated earlier, If you wish to apply for political refugee status you need to get in touch with the UN. Give them a call to find out the procedure.

Also if, as you mentioned, the Turkish Embassy is not being helpful, call the British, American, French, German & Australian Embassies for advice re: applying for political refugee status - (ultimately I think you have to have a 3rd country willing to accept you living there e.g. Sweden).

These Embassies should all be able to provide a list of professional reputable lawyers here in Thailand. Call a few of them, explain the situation, get a feel for if they have dealt with similar cases and then if you feel they can help you. Make an appointment, take all documents etc and go meet with them.

Good luck!

Regards

1. What country? TURKEY

You said that the passport is still valid for another year, so why can't the person fly back to Turkey to deal with the Authorities there and get another passport issued directly if the Embassy/Consulate in Bangkok are being unhelpful?

Just an idea ...you mentioned the person was raised in another European country does he/she have citizenship of that country? If so, why not use that passport????

when it is a military case, then it is very dangerous for this person to go back to turkey, he would probably directly given to the military. they still have their military prisons, and he would get locked in, if he's lucky, without any reason !

going back is last possible step, cause his life might be in danger.

nope, no other citizenship, or we would not post this Topic here :o[/b]

[/b]

As I stated earlier, If you wish to apply for political refugee status you need to get in touch with the UN. Give them a call to find out the procedure.

Also if, as you mentioned, the Turkish Embassy is not being helpful, call the British, American, French, German & Australian Embassies for advice re: applying for political refugee status - (ultimately I think you have to have a 3rd country willing to accept you living there e.g. Sweden).

These Embassies should all be able to provide a list of professional reputable lawyers here in Thailand. Call a few of them, explain the situation, get a feel for if they have dealt with similar cases and then if you feel they can help you. Make an appointment, take all documents etc and go meet with them.

Good luck!

thank you very much, this should be the next steps.

[/b]

If the passport is still valid for one year, how come it is alraedy known ONE year before renewal that it cannot be done?? Maybe i missed something but....??

The Passport expires in 1 year. he can stay in thailand untill, i think, 6 month, before it expires (i am not sure with this),he can not make any visarun anymore, cause the immigration would not accept a Passport, which validity expires in 6 month.

about a month ago the person tried to renew the Passport for 5 years, but not possible. so, actually Thaivisa.com is our last place, where we can ask for information, and we get in such a short time plenty of responses...