Hanoi Thai Embassy

Yesterday, a few hours after arriving from Bangkok, I stopped by the Thai embassy in Hanoi to secure a new tourist visa. I was planning for two entries but was only offered one as I did not have proof of a flight, (or other transit), arranged out of Viet Nam.

Ironically, my planned next stop after the Embassy was Viet Nam Airlines to price flights to Hong Kong (which are about $350 one-way from Hanoi & HCMC!). For the sake of time and hassle, I really did not feel like going back to the Embassy twice, so one entry will suffice for now (and is not an issue for me).

I did tell the woman that I was planning to go to China, (Hong Kong & Macau), before Thailand, and I had the printout of the e-ticket (Mac-BKK -- which she copied). She said that she needed to know "my planned travel route" out of Viet Nam before she could issue a double entry. And she needed to speak with her boss first (he was not there). I think she was a little nervous because there many pages of stamps in and out of Thailand in my passport. She suggested that I apply for a double entry TV in my home country (USA).

So, if you want a double entry TV in Hanoi, bring proof of your onward travel arrangements out of Viet Nam in addition to Thailand. Oh yeah, and bring $35us for each TV.

Why would the Thai Embassy in Hanoi care what you are doing in Vietnam and how you are leaving? They should only be concerned that you had a ticket leaving Thailand, after all, you could not use the Thai Visa unless you left Vietnam and went to Thailand.

Why would the Thai Embassy in Hanoi care what you are doing in Vietnam and how you are leaving? They should only be concerned that you had a ticket leaving Thailand, after all, you could not use the Thai Visa unless you left Vietnam and went to Thailand.

Absurd! The were obviously very confused.

Absurd! The were obviously very confused.

"The were obviously very confused" :o

seems to be the standard set for most Thai consuletes!

• 2 months later...

Why would Canada immigration grill me about my Thai visa at the land entry to Montreal? Why would the Thai consul in LA quiz me about a previous visa from Thai consul in UK? Why would UK immigration quiz me about a previous trip, not the current one? Why would the lady at Thai immigration look at my perfectly valid 2nd entry on a tourist visa, discuss it with her friend, then mutter 'mai bpen rai', giving me only 30 days, and causing me major hassles and changes of plans for many months after?

Why does a dog lick itself? Because it can. People who wear badges like to use them.

• 3 months later...
Why would Canada immigration grill me about my Thai visa at the land entry to Montreal? Why would the Thai consul in LA quiz me about a previous visa from Thai consul in UK? Why would UK immigration quiz me about a previous trip, not the current one? Why would the lady at Thai immigration look at my perfectly valid 2nd entry on a tourist visa, discuss it with her friend, then mutter 'mai bpen rai', giving me only 30 days, and causing me major hassles and changes of plans for many months after?

Why does a dog lick itself? Because it can. People who wear badges like to use them.

You gave up too easily. This is a common mistake that can be corrected, either on the spot or at an Immigration office later.

• 4 months later...

Do you (or does anyone else) have more details about the Hanoi embassy? How long is the visa processing time? What are their hours? Is it a safe bet for getting a tourist visa? (I'd only need a single entry).

Thanks for any help.

I was wondering whether some embassies or consulates are only issuing single entry tourist visas because as they are free at the moment they figure you can just as easy go get another one. If your "another one" happens to be after June 4th so you have to pay that's okay you got two for the price of one "mai bpen rai".

But either way they should not have any interest in your travel plans as you can just as easy apply for a tourist visa in your home country without any ticket onward to Thailand as you have three months to make the arrangements. I just got mine here in Seoul and they never asked for a ticket out of Korea, they also only gave me single entry :o . Oh and my passport is half full of Thai stamps but in any case I don't see what difference that should make either.

Thailand visa rules : If you don't like them come back tomorrow and they'll have changed.