Criminal Record Check

Hi Camerata,

I believe the CRB is only for an employer's use, not an individual's. However, under the Data Protection Act the police are bound to disclose to an individual any information about him that is held on computer. I just checked the Merseyside police website and came up with this:-

"Requests for personal information will be dealt with under the Data Protection Act which already gives an individual the right to have a copy of any personal data held about them. You should apply to the:

Data Protection Unit

Police Headquarters

Canning Place

Liverpool

Merseyside

L69 1JX"

Try the same for whichever police area you live in.

Cheers,

Scouse.

I had to get a "Criminal Record" for my "O-A" visa. I just went to the local police station in the UK and asked for it. It was ready in about 10 days. Of course, if it had not been "blank", it may have taken longer as all the details would have had to have been gathered from various sources.

I did the same for my O-A visa.

Through internet I contacted the city of my last stay in Holland.(took them 4 months)

In Indonesia I let my agent go to the police to obtain record of the last 6 years.(took them 4 weeks)

I will keep them carefully, in case I need them one day for my residency request!

Hi Camerata,

I believe the CRB is only for an employer's use, not an individual's. However, under the Data Protection Act the police are bound to disclose to an individual any information about him that is held on computer.

Thanks, Scouser, you're right. The form is called a Subject Access Form and the embassy referred me to the Metropolitan Police site at http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/faq.htm.

One awkward requirement is proof of address. Everything I have - utility bills, bank statements, credit card bills - all have the address in Thai, even though I gave it to them in English.

The Thai's want to ensure that you weren't a bad bugger in your homeland or any other country you lived in for a year or more.

I hope it isn't every country, doc. What Immigration told me yesterday was that for the residence permit they are only interested in the country of your citizenship. If you spent 20 years in some other country, they don't care. At least that's what they told me yesterday. :o

The Thai's want to ensure that you weren't a bad bugger in your homeland or any other country you lived in for a year or more.

I hope it isn't every country, doc. What Immigration told me yesterday was that for the residence permit they are only interested in the country of your citizenship. If you spent 20 years in some other country, they don't care. At least that's what they told me yesterday. <_<

Keep your fingers crossed then and keep dealing with the same cop. :o Good luck.