Closing Bars

rbrb

i was asking a few girls last night (seperately) on sms at 1am what they were up to and they all said they couldnt come because they were going to tonys...

...asked them if other places had closed already they said yes only tonys is open till 2:30...

...interesting to note that tonys has been allowed to open later than all the other establishments because they are running the "miss pattaya competition" ... how is this allowed... perfect to have everything else shut at 1am so all the girls in pattaya are in their establishment for the comp...

... i am all for the competition as i know the bar gilrs love this event to see who is voted the number one girl in the city... just wondering if those new licensing/zoning laws have already started down that end of walking street only :o

...anybody know anything further on this or know this for a fact because they were there too?

Walking st was back to 2am last night, The police were there but not bothering to close people down or shut off music,

A bit of a pain really as we still stop the music at 1am.

JP bar is open again with a new license and new name "J beer bar" so we'll see how long it takes before the drunken idiots start appearing again and the after hours music comes back.

[...snip]

...interesting to note that tonys has been allowed to open later than all the other establishments because they are running the "miss pattaya competition" ... how is this allowed... perfect to have everything else shut at 1am so all the girls in pattaya are in their establishment for the comp...

[...snip]

I think Tony just does the same as anyone else - he stays open until the police actually come in and say "stop". Last night it wasn't long after 1:00 - I think probably around 1:35 or so. Right in the middle of the competition, with the girls just walking out on stage in bikinis. No time to present the trophy to the winner, not even time to finish the song [the band stopped in the middle of a chorus...]

I don't think Tony was happy, but he put a smile on his face and said on the mic "see you all again tomorrow night - who will be the winner?"

The girls all Wai'd and walked off the stage, the white lights came on, that was it.

TIP.

[This Is Pattaya]

:o

[edited for typos]

disappointing for the girls at the least as they all enjoy that comp... fun police strike again...

so maybe the early closing was just for the main part of the long weekend... we will see what happens... i hope so for everyone involved in the entertainment industry and for me for my weekend sessions :o

I wonder if we're over-thinking this; maybe it's just a random thing. The police can't be everywhere at exactly the same time, whether it's 1AM or 2. Possibly they just start at one end of the street and work their way up, but last night they decided to start at the other end for some reason?

Or perhaps no reason at all?

Like I said, TIP.

LOL

the TPV's don't know anything about this, the city police don't know until orders are given.

t think Tony just does the same as anyone else - he stays open until the police actually come in and say "stop".
I used to do that ,not now, bands off 1am, lights on before the police arrive.
Last night it wasn't long after 1:00 - I think probably around 1:35 or so. Right in the middle of the competition, with the girls just walking out on stage in bikinis. No time to present the trophy to the winner, not even time to finish the song [the band stopped in the middle of a chorus

But really he should of known that the police might come and stop it all, why not do the competition earlier?

:o

Apparently there has been a notice sent to all bar owners asking them to attend a meeting at Pattaya Town Hall at 10am tomorrow (26th) regarding the 1am closing. I have seen the notice, but it was all in Thai (had to get a girl to translate).

Maybe we'll all know more tomorrow... or maybe not!

>>do you really care if the bars close at 1 am?? I live in florida and the bars here close at 2 am go out earlier if you go to the bars

yes because of the people who are affected by it... the locals... bar owners and employees... iahve other businesses here so i am not affected by it... but i know many people who are involved in the entertainmant industry and they are not in support of it... the majority of these people are thais

I have been following this and it does look like it will change for Pattaya and Phuket.

I agree with Dave zoning is important, this is the first stage in cleaning pattaya up and cleaning up Thailand’s image, to try and close it in one foul swoop is financial suicide. If it is zoned I would like to see 2.00am in the week and 4.00 am Fri and Sat

Many tourists even families want to be able to go out for a late drink when they are on holiday so why turn these away, pattaya if zoned correctly could cater for all tourists, in the 7 years I have been here I have seen a dramatic increase in families holidaying here. All we need is some planning and less knee jerk reactions.

I have been following this and it does look like it will change for Pattaya and Phuket.

Phuket is allowed to open from today untill 2.00am , awaiting authorization to 3.00am ...

If Phuket get this authorization i can t imagine Pattaya could close earlier :o

I agree with Dave zoning is important, this is the first stage in cleaning pattaya up and cleaning up Thailand’s image, to try and close it in one foul swoop is financial suicide. If it is zoned I would like to see 2.00am in the week and 4.00 am Fri and Sat

Many tourists even families want to be able to go out for a late drink when they are on holiday so why turn these away, pattaya if zoned correctly could cater for all tourists, in the 7 years I have been here I have seen a dramatic increase in families holidaying here. All we need is some planning and less knee jerk reactions

You have been here 7 years,and you only just found thaivisa.com,welcome,you have a lot of catch up reading to do.

And I agree with what you say.

BTW

Lucifers was apparently handed a 30 day closure last night at around 1130pm for not updating to the new licensing laws.

hey,

Lucifers was open again last night [sat] - do you know when the closure order comes into effect?

From 1st nov (so i heard). :o

I walked past last night and they were open - any news on what happened?

[just wondering...]

not sure, i was told by a lawyer, jp bar has changed names twice in 2 weeks and last night the police were going crazy at them for being open at 4am

Maybe but JP Bar and the other bars around it need the post 2am trade more than almost any bar in Pattaya.

As for having different closing times for weekends and weekdays as one poster mentioned, well that is just ridiculous. Same same Mallorca when I lived there, every night is Friday night. If you let the market decide, then, as in the UK after the introduction of a law to allow pubs to open during the day in 1988, some will open early, other late, some all the time and some will go to the wall.

not sure, i was told by a lawyer, jp bar has changed names twice in 2 weeks and last night the police were going crazy at them for being open at 4am

Maybe but JP Bar and the other bars around it need the post 2am trade more than almost any bar in Pattaya.

As for having different closing times for weekends and weekdays as one poster mentioned, well that is just ridiculous. Same same Mallorca when I lived there, every night is Friday night. If you let the market decide, then, as in the UK after the introduction of a law to allow pubs to open during the day in 1988, some will open early, other late, some all the time and some will go to the wall.

Maybe JP bar should use there brain and not open whilst on a shutdown :o

Had an evening at home tonight watching TV.

On Sophon channel 29, mid way though the X Files, small Thai script title captions appeared rolling across the top of screen.

My wife translated it as saying,

To all bar and club owners. You must close by 1am in the future. If this causes your business financial harm, please supply in writing your accounts before and after the 1am closures, and bring these to City hall. (Roughly translated.)

I heard the rumor that things may back to normal by the weekend. Possibly not after seeing this.

Mike.

Had an evening at home  tonight watching TV.

On Sophon channel 29, mid way though the X Files,  small Thai script title captions  appeared rolling across the top of screen.

My wife translated it as saying,

To all bar and club owners. You must close by 1am in the future. If this causes your business financial harm, please supply in writing your accounts  before and after the 1am closures, and bring these to City hall. (Roughly translated.)

I heard the rumor that things may back to normal by the weekend. Possibly not after seeing this.

Mike.

supply copies of my accounts to city hall, :o

No it's ok i'll keep hold of them, I'm not paying tea money to stay open.

1am no problem (if it means i can survive without obligation) :D

ok, so the great Thai authority seem to think that all problems will stop if the bars close at 1.am

In the the UK everybody knows the problems start when you close all the bars at the same time!!.

What about the Hotels, can you drink there after 1am, what about the restaurants can you drink there after 1am. Anybody know?

Regards