Denial Or ..?

klikster

I'm with you LC on this one.

My thoughts are the same.

Wife and I retired this May 31st and now selling our things. I want to move to Thailand wife mostly wants to stay here in USA but I told if we do pick a college town.

I want to live around younger folks.

Don Sendbaht

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why bother with worrying about visa runs, limps or crawls :D come to sunny queensland...

invest 750,000 Oz-Dollars to obtain a retiree visa, pay freaking high taxes and be prepared to be kicked out when you don't pass the mandatory medical examination (formerly every two, now every four years) :D

Was having a chat with some recent immigrant retirees over a sherbet this lunch, their retirement home purchase price minimum of 350,000 dollars australian is deemed enough security, and a guaranteed Income and full medical insurance were the only conditions, the owners of these retirement villages are with the blessing of the Queensland Govt , brokering these deals in Europe, I will try and find out if there is a website you could have a look at, I am only repeating the results of conversations I have been part of :o Nignoy

The Australia temporary residence program includes a category for those wanting to live in Australia in retirement.

A Retirement Visa allows retirees to spend some of their retirement years in Australia.

You may apply for an investor Retirement Visa if you meet the following criteria:

are 55 years of age or older

are sponsored by an Australian State or Territory Government agency

have no dependent children or other dependent family members other than a spouse

are married or in a de facto relationship, your partner has no dependent children or other dependent family members

have a minimum assets legally owned and lawfully acquired by yourself, or yourself and your spouse, capable of and available to transfer to Australia of:

A$500,000 if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you intend to live in a regional/low growth area of Australia; OR

A$750,000 if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you do not intend to live in a regional/low growth area of Australia

have a minimum net income stream (for example, pension rights) that can be accessed for yourself or yourself and your spouse of:

A$50,000 annually if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you intend to live in regional/low growth area of Australia

A$65,000 annually if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you do not intend to live in a regional/low growth area of Australia

are able to make a minimum designated investment of:

A$500,000 in your name or your name and your spouse name if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you intend to live in regional/low growth area of Australia

A$750,000 in your name or your name and your spouse name if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you do not intend to live in regional/low growth area of Australia

you must have held all of the assists listed above for 2 years prior to lodging your application, unless the assists are related to superannuation and/or inheritance

have evidence that you, and your spouse if applicable, hold a private health insurance package that meets Australian Department of Health and Ageing (DHA) guidelines during the period of the intended stay in Australia

have no intention of working full-time in Australia (you, and your spouse if applicable, will only be allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while in Australia)

are of good health and character

Can't for the life of me imagine why anybody would want to live amonst a group of old & dying people.

I would much prefer to live in a moo baan where there is the sound of children's laughter, pretty girls walking around & the general hustle & bustle of life.

Must be bloody depressing watching all the neighbours drop like flies.

I think the only people in denial are those that live in these places, maybe they don't feel so old if there are surrounded by geriatrics.

I'm a 70 cancer surviver and I agree with your sentiments. I keep as many happy,young, pretty etc. so that I feel younger and forget that my time is short...... :o

Why bother with worrying about visa runs, limps or crawls :D come to sunny queensland...

invest 750,000 Oz-Dollars to obtain a retiree visa, pay freaking high taxes and be prepared to be kicked out when you don't pass the mandatory medical examination (formerly every two, now every four years) :D

Was having a chat with some recent immigrant retirees over a sherbet this lunch, their retirement home purchase price minimum of 350,000 dollars australian is deemed enough security, and a guaranteed Income and full medical insurance were the only conditions, the owners of these retirement villages are with the blessing of the Queensland Govt , brokering these deals in Europe, I will try and find out if there is a website you could have a look at, I am only repeating the results of conversations I have been part of :o Nignoy

The Australia temporary residence program includes a category for those wanting to live in Australia in retirement.

A Retirement Visa allows retirees to spend some of their retirement years in Australia.

You may apply for an investor Retirement Visa if you meet the following criteria:

are 55 years of age or older

are sponsored by an Australian State or Territory Government agency

have no dependent children or other dependent family members other than a spouse

are married or in a de facto relationship, your partner has no dependent children or other dependent family members

have a minimum assets legally owned and lawfully acquired by yourself, or yourself and your spouse, capable of and available to transfer to Australia of:

A$500,000 if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you intend to live in a regional/low growth area of Australia; OR

A$750,000 if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you do not intend to live in a regional/low growth area of Australia

have a minimum net income stream (for example, pension rights) that can be accessed for yourself or yourself and your spouse of:

A$50,000 annually if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you intend to live in regional/low growth area of Australia

A$65,000 annually if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you do not intend to live in a regional/low growth area of Australia

are able to make a minimum designated investment of:

A$500,000 in your name or your name and your spouse name if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you intend to live in regional/low growth area of Australia

A$750,000 in your name or your name and your spouse name if you have indicated to your sponsoring state or territory government agency that you do not intend to live in regional/low growth area of Australia

you must have held all of the assists listed above for 2 years prior to lodging your application, unless the assists are related to superannuation and/or inheritance

have evidence that you, and your spouse if applicable, hold a private health insurance package that meets Australian Department of Health and Ageing (DHA) guidelines during the period of the intended stay in Australia

have no intention of working full-time in Australia (you, and your spouse if applicable, will only be allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while in Australia)

are of good health and character

In addition to the above the Australian Government will not hesitate to change the rules and screw you all up. Their paperwork requirements are massive and the health insurance is expensive and sucks big time. Other than that it is a nice country.

I seriously looked into that and may do one in the next couple years. My father in law is a master architect & My mother is a RN (Registered Nurse) with 10 years of geriatric experience. She works as a head nurse in a "assisted living community" back in the sates filled with a bunch of aging jews that spend $4000 -7000 a month for what are effectively one bedroom serviced apartments with Nurses and assistants on staff along with delivered meals. If anyone really wants to do something like that by all means shoot me a PM. Mabye we can speed up the process.

old age.

sh*tting in bags and counting your pills.

why?

btw, i'm 60. give me the beach, the babes, the booze and then the barbiturates.

euthanasiaclinic.org has a realistic/rational approach to end of life experiences for those still able/willing to explore their options.

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread but I wish to reply anyways. I am a single man soon 61 I moved to Thailand with the intent of staying out of oldage homes.

For the same cost as being herded around in an oldage home, eatinng instututional food, dealing with impatient staff or just dealing with staff period. I can have my own home. A private live in homecare worker 24/7. Live worry free and still be independent