Does Pattaya Need More Gas Stations?

Loosescrew

That's the joy of capitalism, if there is enough need and it can make money, some one will open one. Otherwise, you are just ranting against the free market....

:o

TH

That's very true Thaihome......like "build it and they will come". But, here in Pattaya it's a question of how much money can made and for what outlay? Capitalism will raise its head and as a gasoline station is usually a single-floor business which, in Central Pattaya, will occupy extremely expensive and prime commercial/building land, the economics are debatable.

I do believe that there is something in the planning regulations, related to safety and the protection of the urban environment, that restricts the siting of gasoline stations in such areas as Central Pattaya. This came about subsequent to the LPG tanker explosion in New Petchburi Road, Bangkok in 1990.

Is the gasoline station at the top of Soi 4 still in business? The one further along, but on the same side of Second Road as Big C, closed some years ago also.............other than that, it must be the Shell station in Pattaya Klang and the one on Pattaya-Naklua Road that hold the title of being nearest to Central Pattaya.

The profit in selling fuel is getting tighter as fuel prices increase, the option of making money in your attached 7-11 is reduced in central Pattaya due to the number of hotels and existing 7-11 stores. The one next to SCB has gone, is the one opposite Sabai Resort also gone for good? I don't drive down there much these days as I escape the traffic down the side roads.

The profit from the area of land required for a gas station in that area makes them very attractive for a new hotel / bar etc.

Jomtiem has two or three on that road up the hill and Pattaya Nua has the Lemon Green station that does cheap B5 diesel, not too far to travel really is it?

..........Jomtiem has two or three on that road up the hill and Pattaya Nua has the Lemon Green station that does cheap B5 diesel, not too far to travel really is it?

I'm assuming that you don't really mean the "road up the hill" but that you're referring to Theprasit Road......yes, there are two gasoline stations, PTT and MP.

Along Sukhumvit (road number 3) between Banglamung police station and let's say Soi Chayapruk II (Jomtien) there are approx. 10-12 gas stations of which 3 between Central Pattaya Road and North Pattaya Road on the West Side of Sukhumvit and this is the Central Area.

I know there was a protest last year over a proposed new gas station (can't remember exactly where). Basically although it had preliminary approval, this was overturned as it did break regulations by being too close to residential dwellings.

Based on that I don't think you will see any new ones in the central area, that's why they all seem to be on the outskirts. Nowadays if it's just for the bike I use the nearest stall selling Sang Som bottles of fuel, as there are no stations near me, maybe a little more expensive but alot more convenient (the car I always fill up at the gas station).