Presents Advice

Chutney

Would one of those hand held bender things which purees be useful for a Thai Lady who cooks a lot?

I'd really like to bring some chocolates from the UK but as I'll have to cart them around for a week or two before handing them over I suspect they'd be inedible.

I was thinking of Personal cassette players for the young lot but have never really looked at them when in Thailand. How does price compare to UK? I was wondering about buying them in UK rather than Bangkok.

Any UK expats who can give me some advice on my Christmas shopping!?

I am sure that you will find all that you mention cheaper here in Thailand unless top shelf items. A blender can be found for about 2-300 baht and top line Japanese models are about 1,200 baht. Don't know what a cassette player would cost as most people have moved to CD now. But am sure it would not be more than UK as there is access to very inexpensive Chinese items here.

Of course Christmas is not a normal holiday or gift exchange day for most people (although you can always make a welcome exception for children) so you might want to make it New Years and cash is always good. Unless you bring unique type items (silver city spoons and such) think you will be better getting here and perhaps just bring small items with UK markings such as pencils or other school supplies for gifts to children.

I think anything that symbolises UK will do well. I think something from Mark & Spencers will be ok, they do a lot of pretty gifts in the cosmetic department, something like soaps, bubble bath etc. but again I am not sure if they already got a branch in LOS just like boots ?

Chocolate will be Ok. I took some back home as present last time and they seem to survive for 2wks before I gave them out. But I went there in cool season in December so it depends on when you are going. Surely wherever you go you will have a fridge? oh but I didn't bother to put my one in the fridge and still had no problem ,also they do sell chocolate in LOS too.

It was more those hand blenders you just bung into your bowl of stuff to turn it to goo I had in mind. I've got to lug all this stuff so I'm thinking about weight.

Christmas is a party which I host and do a Farang BBQ, Presents under the tree, sing jingle bells etc. It's because it's different that I think they enjoy the novelty aspect.

I usually get them all something in Thailand but I think they'd really like it if I brought them each something from the UK.

I've seen the Chinese electrical stuff in Thailand and didn't think much of it to be honest.

Kids are easy it's the grown ups!

These are not city folks and don't have any music other than one rather elderly casette player between them but they sure do sing a lot.

The blender is a great idea ahhh don't know about a cassette player though I usually give out cash then they can go get what they want. I know it's the thought that counts but sometimes our thoughts are not theirs so the item bought usually gets brought back but that's my experience. How about a gift certificate?? :o

Great! Thanks. One hand blender and plenty of Chocolates all round. Nice smellies for the ladies.

I'll go ahead and get the Cassette players as I'm pretty certain they'll like them. (Young blokes stuck in the sticks)

Toys for children.

Only problem is something for the head of the family. He doesn't drink so I can't get him a bottle.

i see a lot of thais carrying around those harrod's tote bags.  maybe one of them.  seems like a status symbol.

I agree. I think that's a great idea. That's the kind of stuff many Thais would like to have, it seems. Stuff like Man U t shirts and such would go over well, too, I'm sure.

I would suggest dumping the chocolate, or buying it here just prior to giving. Too easy to get smashed, and likely to melt into a blob without special care. And, frankly, I've never heard any Thai profess to be a fancy chocolate appreciater.. Most of the Thai kanoms (sweets) here are based on non-chocolate ingredients...

But, I appreciate good chocolate, and I'm a very appreciative gift-getter :o

Well,I 'd rather think that it doesn't matter what sort of presents they are. But where they are FROM and WHO is the giver. I can see the Thais saying (boasting) ' I got a present from a FARANG and he bought it (all the way from) ENGLAND'. Or for me I would proudly say thing like I got a single red rose from my boyfriend rather than I got a bunch of red roses from my colleagues at work, romantic old me!!! :o

These guys are Mahouts / Kwan. They might not go for Harrods bags :o

The last time they got their hands on European chocolate it was devoured in minutes!

Problem solved re head bloke. I've just got back from the shops.

He's got a soft cuddly snowman which sings ' Frosty the snowman'

:D

Thanks for all the tips.

It was more those hand blenders you just bung into your bowl of stuff to turn it to goo I had in mind. I've got to lug all this stuff so I'm thinking about weight.

Christmas is a party which I host and do a Farang BBQ, Presents under the tree, sing jingle bells etc. It's because it's different that I think they enjoy the novelty aspect.

I usually get them all something in Thailand but I think they'd really like it if I brought them each something from the UK.

I've seen the Chinese electrical stuff in Thailand and didn't think much of it to be honest.

Kids are easy it's the grown ups!

These are not city folks and don't have any music other than one rather elderly casette player between them but they sure do sing a lot.

Still believe it would not be a good idea, but now that I have read your post right will give another reason. :o

Few normal people will find the bother of plugging in, cleaning without dunk in water and learning how to use it to be worth the time. I suspect it will remain on a display shelf but never be used. Believe you would be better with a display gift - such as a piece of china?

Not that easy unfortunately.

They don't drink. Their living set up is totally practical. No nick nacks or place to put them. They live all together in one huge long house with a big open cooking/eating space in the middle.

May be right about the blender though. Sigh.....

Not that easy unfortunately.

They don't drink. Their living set up is totally practical. No nick nacks or place to put them. They live all together in one huge long house with a big open cooking/eating space in the middle.

May be right about the blender though. Sigh.....

They will still most likely have a space for valued items in a cabinet of some kind. Did not mean a china cabinet but any glass/china item from your hometown or area would most likely be on display and a valued talking item with visitors. It may only be a side of a shelf/wardrobe or even a wall beam.

Like a present from Broadstairs type thing? Actually that gives me some ideas. I'll go and look at the stuff sold around here for tourists.

Perfume~ I've always given the ladies some before and this year my son is sending them a little bottle of something French from him.

Would one of those hand held bender things which purees be useful for a Thai Lady ?

Eeeeek!!

I only just spotted this. :o

The mind boggles. Thinking about it, only British posters would notice. ( thank you for not taking the piss)

All things considered the answer would be: Probably not. A Bender held in the hand is probably fairly useless to any Lady.

Hi All,

I brought my TG father a fishing rod (telescopic type) 3 years ago he still loves it and uses it regularly.

TG brought her mother back packets of seeds we got at a veg’ shop i.e. Tomato plant seeds and the like!

Have a Happy...

DeDanan

Hi All,

I brought my TG father a fishing rod (telescopic type) 3 years ago he still loves it and uses it regularly.

TG brought her mother back packets of seeds we got at a veg’ shop i.e. Tomato plant seeds and the like!

Have a Happy...

DeDanan

Bingo! Thanks a million. Those are both splendid ideas.