Maxnet, Tt&t And Tot

AlarmGuy

Long story short: Maxnet and TT&T service has been repeatedly dropping out for months now and after dozens of phone calls and a couple of site visits it is still not fixed. Their customer service department do not have a clue how to handle this situation, so here I am doing some research.

My question is regarding whether or not TT&T and TOT have totally different internet infrastructures to handle their individual services - or do they share it like they share the physical telephone lines ?

The reason I ask is that I am considering getting TOT in to install a new line alongside my existing TT&T line and subscribing to the TOT internet service in the hope that it may keep chugging along during the times when my Maxnet connection dies.

We have been told the TOT service is crap - but I have learnt to expect nothing more of internet service in Thailand outside Bangkok and am willing to give it a shot. Two crap services combined may be enough to keep me online 24/7.

If they both share the same infrastructure - I'm stuffed :o

Long story short: Maxnet and TT&T service has been repeatedly dropping out for months now and after dozens of phone calls and a couple of site visits it is still not fixed. Their customer service department do not have a clue how to handle this situation, so here I am doing some research.

My question is regarding whether or not TT&T and TOT have totally different internet infrastructures to handle their individual services - or do they share it like they share the physical telephone lines ?

The reason I ask is that I am considering getting TOT in to install a new line alongside my existing TT&T line and subscribing to the TOT internet service in the hope that it may keep chugging along during the times when my Maxnet connection dies.

We have been told the TOT service is crap - but I have learnt to expect nothing more of internet service in Thailand outside Bangkok and am willing to give it a shot. Two crap services combined may be enough to keep me online 24/7.

If they both share the same infrastructure - I'm stuffed :o

Here in Chiang Mai I had the opposite problem with very bad service from TOT for many months now, with frequent connection resets that interfere with e-mail, and a maximum speed of about 200 kbps. TOT explained that that was the most I could get due to the position of my house. However my neighbors down the street had Maxnet with full 1 Mps speed.

Having contacted TT&T, providers of Maxnet, they came out and installed a new phone line to my house. I had to pay 500 baht more for the installation due to some extra wiring work on the street in order to reach my house. Today I have a full 1 Mps from Maxnet while the TOT service is still what it used to be (I am keeping it as a backup, since Maxnet does go down at times). So, to answer your question, I suppose that they do not share the same infrastructure.

Today I have a full 1 Mps from Maxnet while the TOT service is still what it used to be (I am keeping it as a backup, since Maxnet does go down at times). So, to answer your question, I suppose that they do not share the same infrastructure.

Thanks for the info - I was hoping someone would confirm that is the case.

It sounds like TOT and TT&T use the same "book of excuses" all over Thailand then. As it's rainy season, my outages are currently due to water getting onto the cables for my house at the exchange. The "location of the house" excuse is wearing a bit thin now.

Alarmguy, it is possible that your location is on the edge of the distance ADSL can go over the phone line.

If your connection is just hanging in there, a bit of rain can indeed make the connection fail altogether!

The rain does not necessarily have to affect your line/junctions directly, it can also for example influence a high tension transformator, which will start to generate more noise when wet and make your connection drop.

Going with TOT might solve your problem, as opposite to what most people think, TOT and TT&T do not share physical lines, nor do they share telephone exchanges.

So you might have a good chance the TOT exchange is closer by, giving you better connection (although not necessarily better internet, TOT is notoriously bad, even compared to Maxnet!)

Going with TOT might solve your problem, as opposite to what most people think, TOT and TT&T do not share physical lines, nor do they share telephone exchanges.

Monty , are the two entities connected in anyway?................i ask because when i had the telephone installed the covering installation letter had a TT&T heading on it and yet all the bills i recieve monthly have TOT headings on them. :o

Also what in your opinion is the best internet package for the darkside of Pattaya................i/m 5kms in from Sukhumvit down Soi Khao Noi........currently (and for the last 3 years) i have been paying 995 baht/month for a JI-Net package that gives me a paltry 256/128 connection and yet i see Maxnet offering 1mb speeds for a similar price.

Packages up to 1500 baht a month would be ok.

I need unlimited downloading...........mainly for torrents.

Cheers.

Monty , are the two entities connected in anyway?................i ask because when i had the telephone installed the covering installation letter had a TT&T heading on it and yet all the bills i recieve monthly have TOT headings on them. :o

Also what in your opinion is the best internet package for the darkside of Pattaya................i/m 5kms in from Sukhumvit down Soi Khao Noi........currently (and for the last 3 years) i have been paying 995 baht/month for a JI-Net package that gives me a paltry 256/128 connection and yet i see Maxnet offering 1mb speeds for a similar price.

Cheers.

TOT has given a concession to TT&T to deploy a fixed line network.

For this TT&T has to give a certain percentage of revenue to TOT, so TOT does the billing enabling them to collect the percentage at source!

Go get Maxnet 1 Mpbs PREMIER, 1090 Baht/month!

It'll just depend how far out you are from the exchange whether you'll get the 1 mbps...

Cheers.

TOT has given a concession to TT&T to deploy a fixed line network.

For this TT&T has to give a certain percentage of revenue to TOT, so TOT does the billing enabling them to collect the percentage at source!

Go get Maxnet 1 Mpbs PREMIER, 1090 Baht/month!

It'll just depend how far out you are from the exchange whether you'll get the 1 mbps...

:D

Alarmguy, it is possible that your location is on the edge of the distance ADSL can go over the phone line.

If your connection is just hanging in there, a bit of rain can indeed make the connection fail altogether!

The rain does not necessarily have to affect your line/junctions directly, it can also for example influence a high tension transformator, which will start to generate more noise when wet and make your connection drop.

Interesting - I thought it was just some "cock and bull" story to fob us off.

Anyway - I need to start running a web server that MUST be available 24/7/365. It does not have to be fast - just available. I dread the thought of how bad TOT will be and am looking at my other options for keeping a connection when MaxNet goes down....

I just read in another post that there may be unlimited dial-up accounts available for a few hundred baht per month. Can anyone confirm this as it could be a viable option for me as we don't use our landline for phone calls ?

I've just been informed that there might be a maximum connection time allowed per call (2 hours), so you have to keep reconnecting. Can anyone confirm or deny this ?

Edited by AlarmGuy

Cat net is the only internet supplier worth talking about...All the others buy there bandwith from them,as I undertsand it..

2 meg 999 baht and 5 % discount every year.Free install and no telephone line needed....not every where but most major provincial places....

Does drop out,not as oftenas Tot. Tot is rubbish ..maxnet/Tt&t expensive and rubbish..they buy from TOT who buy from Catnet....

Not too hard to work out why they are all bad...

I have two internet cafes and swear by Catnet....

and have them at home...