Residency Requirements

Hi, I am a teacher who would like to apply for permanent residency. I earn no more than 60k p/month and am only 22 years old, have the 3 extentions of nonB visa, volunteer at an orphanage etc etc. I think i meet evey requirement, but do i need to speak fluent Thai? I speak basic thai, can hold a conversation but wouldn't know any vocab regarding visa etc, only family, home, work - the normal everyday langauge. And I cannot read Thai. Will this be a problem?

Will anything else be a problem for me? my age? Salary?

Any help, or suggestions greatly appreciated. :o

Thanks

Yep read it already. I am just unsure if Thai language is a must have? And how good do I need to be?

Also, Once you have resisdency, do you have to work in order to stay? At the moment i work for the permit and visa but would really love to just stay here and do voluntary work? Can I do this with reisdency?

Yep read it already. I am just unsure if Thai language is a must have? And how good do I need to be?

Also, Once you have resisdency, do you have to work in order to stay? At the moment i work for the permit and visa but would really love to just stay here and do voluntary work? Can I do this with reisdency?

80K monthly salary for the last two years is the minimum to apply for PR!

I am applying for PR this year and noticed that quite a few Farangs could not speak any Thai at all. They were allowed to use place cards karaoke style in order to answer questions on video, However the personal interview was much more tough and I am not sure how some of these people will score, however my impression is that if you can speak some Thai then this should be good enough.

After you get your PR, you there is no requirement to make a certain amount of money, although you still need a work permit to do any kind of work.

Also you might.

Also when you do get your PR, it is to your advantage to keep up your salary so that you can apply for citizenship, as the requirements are basically the same as PR.

80K monthly salary for the last two years is the minimum to apply for PR!

I am applying for PR this year and noticed that quite a few Farangs could not speak any Thai at all. They were allowed to use place cards karaoke style in order to answer questions on video, However the personal interview was much more tough and I am not sure how some of these people will score, however my impression is that if you can speak some Thai then this should be good enough.

After you get your PR, you there is no requirement to make a certain amount of money, although you still need a work permit to do any kind of work.

Also you might.

Also when you do get your PR, it is to your advantage to keep up your salary so that you can apply for citizenship, as the requirements are basically the same as PR.

So basically there is no advantage to being a PR then, if you still need a WP?...

So basically there is no advantage to being a PR then, if you still need a WP?...

I don't know that I would go so far as to say that there's no advantage to having PR because one still requires a work permit, but that's certainly not one of the benefits.

I don't know that I would go so far as to say that there's no advantage to having PR because one still requires a work permit, but that's certainly not one of the benefits.

I ask the question because I am a citizen of one country and a PR of another country and the PR entitles me to everything ie work etc etc and the only restriction is that I cant vote in that country (not that I would want to anyway)

I ask the question because I am a citizen of one country and a PR of another country and the PR entitles me to everything ie work etc etc and the only restriction is that I cant vote in that country (not that I would want to anyway)

You can't vote in Thailand either with PR. Nor can you own land.

so what exactly are the benefits? :o

Very good question..!!!

Cons:

Can't Vote

Can't own land

Need a WP to work

Will be paying tax if you are working

Pro's ?

Long term "Visa" only ? - or is this subject to review and renewal as well ?

Can own a company 100% ? or still subject to 49/51% arrangments

No visa hassles anymore, you still need a WP when having PR, but much easier to get.

Since you do not need to use the WP to get an extension of stay, there are no more minimum salary worries, nor does the company you work for have to worry about having enough income on the books etc...

Then there's the little things, for example if you want to buy a condo, you do not have to bring in funds from abroad, you do not need to prove where the cash comes from!

Dealing with banks gets suddenly easier, for example PR holders often can get a mortgage on a condo (since you don't need to bring the funds in from abroad to register the thing in your name!).

Getting a credit card is also suddenly just a formality.

In general the biggest advantage is in the general security. Until you have PR, you'll always worry whether they will suddenly bring up the minimum salary requirement for an extension of stay, you're basically living year by year and just wait and see what the government will come up with next!

If you're close to retirement age, a PR will ensure you'll never have to worry about retirement extension requirements! No worries if they up the amount to 1.6 million, or whatever.

Oh, and for the OP, no you do not need to read and write Thai, you do need to have a fairly acceptable level of spoken Thai, along with general knowledge about your host country, i.e. how many provinces, colors in the national flag etc...

They'll ask questions about your family situation, your work etc, all in Thai.

Supposedly the interview of the last batch of applicants was much tougher then the previous years though...

No visa hassles anymore, you still need a WP when having PR, but much easier to get....Dont have hassles getting a WP or Extension of stay

Since you do not need to use the WP to get an extension of stay, there are no more minimum salary worries, nor does the company you work for have to worry about having enough income on the books etc...

Then there's the little things, for example if you want to buy a condo, you do not have to bring in funds from abroad, you do not need to prove where the cash comes from!....These days can get a morgage from BKK Bank for a Farang...even though the terms and condition suck...

Dealing with banks gets suddenly easier, for example PR holders often can get a mortgage on a condo (since you don't need to bring the funds in from abroad to register the thing in your name!). Never had an issue dealing with a bank

Getting a credit card is also suddenly just a formality...As it was for me

In general the biggest advantage is in the general security. Until you have PR, you'll always worry whether they will suddenly bring up the minimum salary requirement for an extension of stay, you're basically living year by year and just wait and see what the government will come up with next!....Could change the PR requirements ??

If you're close to retirement age, a PR will ensure you'll never have to worry about retirement extension requirements! No worries if they up the amount to 1.6 million, or whatever.

So basically what you are saying there are no tangible advantages to having PR....If you are here on a long term WP with reasonable salary or could retire at 50 and comply with the finanical requirements you may as well keep on doing what you are doing as there appears to be no added advantage being a PR, and you have forked over +/-THB 200,000 to boot for the privilage of becoming a PR for no direct benefits...ie can own land, dont need a WP etc

....Seem to get more benefits out of the Thai Elite card than PR..???

Hi, I am a teacher who would like to apply for permanent residency. I earn no more than 60k p/month and am only 22 years old, have the 3 extentions of nonB visa, volunteer at an orphanage etc etc. I think i meet evey requirement, but do i need to speak fluent Thai? I speak basic thai, can hold a conversation but wouldn't know any vocab regarding visa etc, only family, home, work - the normal everyday langauge. And I cannot read Thai. Will this be a problem?

Thanks

Not enough tax paid. You are very probably ineligible to PR.

You need a much higher paid job.

Thanks

Not enough tax paid. You are very probably ineligible to PR.

You need a much higher paid job.

At would question at age 22, why would you be looking at PR in Thailand....Would guess you will not be staying here for the next 40 odd years....Even if elegible think your age may go against you...??

So basically what you are saying there are no tangible advantages to having PR....If you are here on a long term WP with reasonable salary or could retire at 50 and comply with the finanical requirements you may as well keep on doing what you are doing as there appears to be no added advantage being a PR, and you have forked over +/-THB 200,000 to boot for the privilage of becoming a PR for no direct benefits...ie can own land, dont need a WP etc

The only real tangible asset is indeed the security of being able to stay here. Which, talking with most long term expats, is a very important thing. Anybody I know dread the yearly renewals, wondering what new stuff they'll have come up with...

In your situation, if you loose your job, they cancel your extension of stay. You do not even get the 7 days time to leave (automatically, I think you still can apply for it in certain situations).

Indeed you can get a mortgage through Bkk Bank, but at silly conditions, mainly because the money has to come from abroad, so you are dealing with the Singapore Bkk branch (although ALL paperwork can be done within Thailand now).

The thing is, in your case PR does not have much advantage (or at all), but that situation might change suddenly if there is a hick up in your employment status.

We're not going to talk about Elite now are we? No comparison, with Elite's main advantage being the perpetual renewable 5 year visa (still requiring a 1900 Baht extension every 90 days) at a price of 1.5 million Baht!

I know several; elite card holders, and each and every single one took it because of the visa thing! (and are coincidently happy with the deal as well).

The only real tangible asset is indeed the security of being able to stay here. Which, talking with most long term expats, is a very important thing. Anybody I know dread the yearly renewals, wondering what new stuff they'll have come up with...

In your situation, if you loose your job, they cancel your extension of stay. You do not even get the 7 days time to leave (automatically, I think you still can apply for it in certain situations).

Indeed you can get a mortgage through Bkk Bank, but at silly conditions, mainly because the money has to come from abroad, so you are dealing with the Singapore Bkk branch (although ALL paperwork can be done within Thailand now).

The thing is, in your case PR does not have much advantage (or at all), but that situation might change suddenly if there is a hick up in your employment status.

We're not going to talk about Elite now are we? No comparison, with Elite's main advantage being the perpetual renewable 5 year visa (still requiring a 1900 Baht extension every 90 days) at a price of 1.5 million Baht!

I know several; elite card holders, and each and every single one took it because of the visa thing! (and are coincidently happy with the deal as well).

Its a very insteresting discussion, as was thinking myself of PR, but seeing in my current position there is no benefit by doing so....agreed on the comment about sudden change in situation and implications...but in my situation, have a WP through the co I am working for now, but also have investment in another company and one of the conditions of me investing was that there would always be a WP availible to me should everything go poo poo where I am now...so pretty confident from the security point of view, and even have a plan C....go back to working contract and just live in Thailand...

Intention here is not to get in a debate about pros and cons of the Thai Elite card....think thats been done to death on other forums..