Offshore bank accounts

i'm looking for an offshore bank that I can to open in US dollars.  One that will not bleed you to death with fees and offers either a credit and/or debit card. Does anyone have any banks they could recommend?

Also, where are some places to go to get documents (passport) certified and what are the costs?  This seems to be a requirement to opening an offshore account.

Thanks for your help.

i have a hsbc powervantage account in h.k. that lets you keep money in almost every currency. although they would not give me a debit/creditcard since not a h.k resident, you get a plus atm, and full internet access where you can transfer money to any bank world wide. there are fees for withdrawls and transfers, but not too bad. only thing i needed was a passport, $2,000 and a h.k. address that could later be changed to my bkk address via internet.

Lloyds TSB Isle of Man do a good offshore US$ account with debit card.

Contact Tel:  44-8705-449900 ask for new account pack.

You get you passport photocopy signed at your embassy in bangkok for ID.

No minimum opening sum required, 3 month free trial, fees only US$50 per year or £50 for both a US$ account and a pound sterling account.

Take your pick... :o

http://www.buy-the-best-online.co.uk/Offshore-Banking.html

OFFSHORE BANKING

Offshore banking information from OCRA From over 15 offshore and onshore offices, we assist clients set up international and “offshore” companies and trusts, and provide administrative and professional advisory services.

<>

Bank of Ireland Fsharp - offshore banking Offshore bank providing online banking services including deposit accounts, credit cards, debit cards, online foreign exchange, multi-currency and much more.

<>

offshore banking from Citibank Make your money work harder for you and place some of your assets overseas.

<>

Offshore banking from Sovereign Chartered Bank Offering term deposit accounts guaranteed by portfolio of residential EU property. Benefit from security of property investment without the hassles. Fixed rates up to 20% p.a. paid tax-free.

<>

Find off shore banks Click here to find the A-Z of all offshore banks and trust companies websites. Find.co.uk, the leading internet directory for UK financial websites since 1996.

<>

Free help with offshore banking Caledonian Express offer free help, advice and information about all kinds of credit and debt problems. Find out which banks, lenders and organisations can help you clear up your credit problems.

<>

Offshore banking Offshore banking with one of the largest Swiss banks. Secure, private and online. Protect your assets. Visa and ATM available. Instant account opening.

<>

Offshore Services: Bank Accounts, Offshore Companies Registration Professionals provide such services: Offshore banking and offshore company formation, Dominica offshore IBCs, company formation services in Seychelles and Gibraltar offshore companies. International Banking, Offshore Merchant Account Services, ...

<>

Offshore Bank Account, Offshore Banking in Dominica, USA, Europe Offshore banking and full range of offshore services e.g. IBC in Dominica with offshore banking, company formation services in Seychelles (with US banking option), Panama Corporation are the core areas of our business.

<

:cool:

• 1 year later...

I tried to open a HSBC current a/c in BKk from the UK online. They gave me extortionate fees and wanted an initial deposit of several thousand sterling and the a/c had to have a minimum bal each month.

I only want a current a/c to transfer funds from uk to be able to use when on holiday in Thailand.

I have an a/c with Ayudhya Bank and opened this with just a passport and Thai address.

Would I be able to get a HSBC a/c the same way when I get to BKK. This would make transfering money a lot cheaper and easier. :o

try the halifax bank of scotland (hbos)international in jersey and the isle of man.

www.bankofscotland-international.com

they will open various types of accounts for you in dollars , euros or sterling .

good interest rates on sterling compared to euros or dollars.

I tried to open a HSBC  current a/c in BKk from the UK online. They gave me extortionate fees and wanted an initial deposit of several thousand sterling and the a/c had to have a minimum bal each month.

I only want a current a/c to transfer funds from uk to be able to use when on holiday in Thailand.

I have an a/c with Ayudhya Bank and opened this with just a passport and Thai address.

Would I be able to get a HSBC a/c the same way when I get to BKK. This would make transfering money a lot cheaper and easier.  :o

I believe the HSBC bank only have one branch in Thailand, and that's the one near the australian embassy in BKK. And they only do the one account for foreign currency deposits, which is the one you described. To open an account, you need to have a letter of recommendation from another HSBC owned bank or have a work permit, and show your passport.

<font color='#000000'>i'm looking for an offshore bank that I can to open in US dollars.  One that will not bleed you to death with fees and offers either a credit and/or debit card. Does anyone have any banks they could recommend?

Also, where are some places to go to get documents (passport) certified and what are the costs?  This seems to be a requirement to opening an offshore account.

Thanks for your help.</font>

I tried to open a HSBC  current a/c in BKk from the UK online. They gave me extortionate fees and wanted an initial deposit of several thousand sterling and the a/c had to have a minimum bal each month.

Would I be able to get a HSBC a/c the same way when I get to BKK. This would make transfering money a lot cheaper and easier.  :o

I believe the HSBC bank only have one branch in Thailand, and that's the one near the australian embassy in BKK. And they only do the one account for foreign currency deposits, which is the one you described. To open an account, you need to have a letter of recommendation from another HSBC owned bank or have a work permit, and show your passport.

ZOVOX is right that HSBC only have 1 branch in Thailand. Also, that branch is linked with HSBC in the UK but is not legally the same company. Therefore, it is no cheaper to transfer from HSBC in the UK to there than any other bank (I know because I checked this with HSBC Jersey!). I believe they do have Baht accounts though (but I'm not 100% sure on this).

You can open an account with a letter of recommendation from another bank and they require IIRC 12 months of history with that bank. If you have a letter from an HSBC bank, they only require a 6 month history IIRC - that's the only advantage that I could find with having a UK HSBC account...

Edit to add> Also note that if you're opening an account in Europe (e.g. offshore account in the Channel Islands), they will require proof of your address from e.g. utility bills, etc. The requirements increased a year or two ago with the EU money laundering laws. As I understand it, a certfied passport is not enough.

Edited by grahamb

I use Royal Bank of Scotland in the Channel Islands.

No fees, except for transactions.

Credit Cards available.

Thai address no problem.

A copy of my passport, certified by my Thai bank was accepted.

What kind of account is this?

Does it pay an interests?

Did you open it online?

What is the charge for transfering money let's say to Thailand?

ZOVOX is right that HSBC only have 1 branch in Thailand. Also, that branch is linked with HSBC in the UK but is not legally the same company. Therefore, it is no cheaper to transfer from HSBC in the UK to there than any other bank (I know because I checked this with HSBC Jersey!). I believe they do have Baht accounts though (but I'm not 100% sure on this).

You can open an account with a letter of recommendation from another bank and they require IIRC 12 months of history with that bank. If you have a letter from an HSBC bank, they only require a 6 month history IIRC - that's the only advantage that I could find with having a UK HSBC account...

Edit to add> Also note that if you're opening an account in Europe (e.g. offshore account in the Channel Islands), they will require proof of your address from e.g. utility bills, etc. The requirements increased a year or two ago with the EU money laundering laws. As I understand it, a certfied passport is not enough.

This bank can be very expensive for small depositor but there are some great benefits if you mantain large balance. One of them is ability to use atm at no charge. Also, this is probably the only atm in Thailand that allows to withdraw B40k in one transaction.

Would I be able to get a HSBC a/c the same way when I get to BKK. This would make transfering money a lot cheaper and easier.  :D

This bank can be very expensive for small depositor but there are some great benefits if you mantain large balance. One of them is ability to use atm at no charge. Also, this is probably the only atm in Thailand that allows to withdraw B40k in one transaction.

not true, i have a hsbc hong kong account and the max i can withdraw is Bt20K :o

not true, i have a hsbc hong kong account and the max i can withdraw is Bt20K :o

Please do not make such definite statements. The low limit must be set only on your card then. Next time, you are at the branch, go inside and ask. If your atm card has high daily withdrawal limit, you can use Bangkok machines up to B40k a pop.

• 2 weeks later...