Nang Nual Closes

Gravelrash

Ate there last night and the staff said it was the last day of operation. Many very sad as had worked there a very long time, felt like their family. So if heading over there for seafood don't bother as closed. There may be another operator coming in a few months though.

This should be in the Chiang Mai forum...sorry.

Edited by Gravelrash

Ate there last night and the staff said it was the last day of operation. Many very sad as had worked there a very long time, felt like their family. So if heading over there for seafood don't bother as closed. There may be another operator coming in a few months though.

This should be in the Chiang Mai forum...sorry.

Do this mean that Yamato's (the Japanese buffet in the Nang Nual grounds) is closed too? I think they are the same thing, aren't they?

Too bad - I liked the place.

Used tp have a 340 baht sushi, tempura, teriyaki buffet, but the last time I was there (about 2 weeks ago), they had dropped the price to 240 baht, and cut back on the dishes.

"Chiang Mai people not like to spend money" said the manager...

My understanding is that they have both closed. Staff said something about wanting to open an outlet in the US. I liked it there as the food was good and they didn't have a rock band blasting you. Apparently the site is available for 30 million, large block and city riverfront.

I work every day in Nong Hoy down by the big Police Station and the UFO Bowling place. And, lo and behold! I've spotted the reincarnation of Yamato- alebit waaaay more modest and not as ambient. It's still a buffet, and is right behind a Top Charoen Optical place on the left side of the Chiang Mai Lamphun Rd. heading south once you cross the Super Hwy. Another way is heading away from Airport Plaza toward San Kamphaeng and the old Big C, turn rt at the Nong Hoy intersection where the big shells and the Adventure Hotel are. As you go down it's about 1km or so up, in the same compound as a mini Tesco Lotus and a Bangkok Bank . Pretty easy to spot, those are. Let's hear how it is these days...... They sure have gone to length to put lipstick on that pig, but you can only do so much there as no gardens and waterfall etc there.

I work every day in Nong Hoy down by the big Police Station and the UFO Bowling place. And, lo and behold! I've spotted the reincarnation of Yamato- alebit waaaay more modest and not as ambient. It's still a buffet, and is right behind a Top Charoen Optical place on the left side of the Chiang Mai Lamphun Rd. heading south once you cross the Super Hwy. Another way is heading away from Airport Plaza toward San Kamphaeng and the old Big C, turn rt at the Nong Hoy intersection where the big shells and the Adventure Hotel are. As you go down it's about 1km or so up, in the same compound as a mini Tesco Lotus and a Bangkok Bank . Pretty easy to spot, those are. Let's hear how it is these days...... They sure have gone to length to put lipstick on that pig, but you can only do so much there as no gardens and waterfall etc there.

We were told by the old staff at Nang Nual just before it closed that Yamoto was relocating to that area- must drop in soon as it was one of our fav buffets.

Some funny goings on in the background at Nang Nual instigated the closure- family/money/issues we heard - now up for sale at 70 million I believe.

I was there a couple of weeks back and the place was clearly showing that it was on a slippery slope.

Sure it was closing in the next week or so but if they were wanting to be open they should have still been providing good service "which they definately weren't"

Been going there for 15-16 years and whilst have generally enjoyed the experience it has a times been very ordinary.

Nang Nual had gone way past it's "best by date"

Some funny goings on in the background at Nang Nual instigated the closure- family/money/issues we heard - now up for sale at 70 million I believe.

First 30m now 70m...me thinks you were quoted the farang price. :o

If anyone is looking for an alternative following the closure of Nang Nual, I can very much recommend a new place which has just opened up near the airport. If one drives from Central Airport towards the road through the airbase, it is on the right immediately before the sharp right turn into the airbase itself.

All exterior signage is in Thai only at the moment, but the manager said an English sign was on order. You can't miss the place though as it has an aircraft in the front garden (really!). The seafood is very fresh, generous portions, and very reasonably priced. Hope they can keep up this standard.

Too bad not many decent Japanese food choice in Chaing Mai. Zen is probably the best (sadly).

Will there ever be any place that is somewhere near the quality of Tsunami at JW Mariott in Bangkok?

Zen is worlds better than what we had until very recently. I am quite thankful for both Zen and Fuji. :o