Can You Change A Bikes Engine Number...

If you buy a second hand engine.. And replace a bike engine (changing the number) can you just waltz in to the DMV and change the engine number ??

I know the frame is fixed.. But what about the engine ??

Obviously this means an engine that comes without the 'invoice' papers from import.

Edited by LivinLOS

If you buy a second hand engine.. And replace a bike engine (changing the number) can you just waltz in to the DMV and change the engine number ??

I know the frame is fixed.. But what about the engine ??

Obviously this means an engine that comes without the 'invoice' papers from import.

I know you are "supposed" to change the engine number in the green book, but do you really need to? The frame is one thing, but on the engine I have heard people just keep the old engine and when needed for registration just take a tracing from the old engine. When I transferred title to my Yamaha TZM, the DVM did not even look at the engine serial numbers to be honest with you. To get to them, they had to take off the plastic fairings and they definately did not do that. I kind of think the average cop pulling you over would bother to do that either, and I doubt that he has the tools to take apart the body panels. Just a thought. Of course I really do not know about the invoice papers for a new engine. Good luck.

Yes a bike can exist inside Thailand easily.. However getting a carnet de passages et douane.. Getting international transit docs.. Crossing international borders..

Kinda pain if the numbers dont add up.

I think thats the fall back option.

I know changing color is just a simple small fee and registered on the book.. But know I am thinking about engines being sold with and without import tax paid papers and assume there has to be a reason.

More a case of trying to understand the ins and outs of the system, whats legal and what isnt.

Hello :o

In case the "new" engine is the same type as the old one, why don't you just transfer the part with the number on (usually one of the gearbox case halves) to the new one? That way you still have a new engine but with the old number, and legal (as nobody can or will forbid you to change all of the engine's inner parts).

I have just bought a second bike last weekend to obtain the spare parts (and, most importantly, a frame to fix mine, broken, one) and i saw that the engine number and the frame number are precisely the same. So i checked on my current bike, and sure enough it's the same there (i.e. engine and frame have the same number).

Still i think having the engine number changed in the book shouldn't be too big a hassle - after all you can legally have a Toyota engine in a Benz or Nissan and that can be legalized, too.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Engine numbers and frame number dont match on this bike..

And the old engine case is not an option.

I know engine swaps can be done.. I am just wondering then how the import tax checks work.. Otherwise why would engines with import papers (invoice) be a premium.. Must be a reason otherwise you just change the engine in the book and no problem.

Never tried changes to a book before.