Youtube & Ebay Are Slow To Load

KohKarrang

I'm getting a bit annoyed by this, youtube videos just don't load, I get the black screen with the dizzying circular thing going round and round noon-stop...

With ebay I get annoying pauses of a second or two between each page, this is not just a slow internet thing, I can see the thingy in the top right hand corner of my firefox browser actually pause as if about to crash...

I've got a pretty new Asus eee PC, upgraded to 2GB RAM and I'm using the overclocking software eeectl, my internet connection is TOT 1MB which on all other sites is faster than my previous TRUE 1.5MB so I'm baffled by these pauses, they sometmes affect the general performance of my pc so I'm thinking it's not necessarily an internet thing, rather a pc based roblem, anybody else have these problems? Is it generic to eee pc's or simply compact pc's in general beause of their small design? Or is it because Asus isn't all that good?

Any opinions appreciated

I think you will find that the problem is with TOT as they seem to be blocking youtube content.......... I have the same problem as well although I hardly ever visit youtube so its not really a problem for me.

Have you tried using Savetube or a similiar site to download the youtube files you want ?

JAF

I'm not really a big youtube user but I am a big ebay user so that's my real problem, as I say, bbc.co.uk is fast, guardian.co.uk is fast, thaivisa.com is fast(although this has something to do with tv.com's server I know) so how come ebay is slow? It's not slow in my local internet cafe where there are another 13 people all playing online games??

Is there something I can do with my pc to take care of the problem?

Same here (on TOT 1MB).

I don't know about eBay, but the YouTube endless 'loading' screen is VERY annoying.

Is there any article on the TOT website about this or something? I can get it translated, but won't be able to find it myself.

Will it be any use to call them? I'd really like to know when this block will end and why they're even doing it in the first place. It's rather rediculous if they're still pissed off about that one clip about the king.

Glad to know I'm not the only one though.

Hmm...for whatever it's worth... as of 1:40 am Wednesday morning BKK time, YouTube is coming thru fine via True DSL....

I don't normally visit the site, but did in response to this thread. Got the home page speedy quick. Did a search just for "Thailand..." and the first video that came up was FHM Miss Thailand.... which played quite nicely on a 2 MB connection....

It's a very nice video..by the way... :o Wish you could see it!!!! :D

According to Bangkok Post Database article today it is suspected the slowdown is part of a (less than stealth) concerted effort by government to monitor all internet communications and extends to email as well.

As read in this post: http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/computers-tec...html#post964062

All video's will work if you click on watch in high quality or add &fmt=18 to the end of the URL (to switch to a higher quality version of the video).

Excellent! I can see it now!

Now all I need to do is sort out my ebay problem..

lopburi3, how far does this monitoring go? Will it extent to people making a few extra quid on ebay? :o

I've just read the Bangkok Post Database article and I think we're ok...

When I use ebay from an internet cafe here in bkk the speed is fine so I'm sure it's my computer, so going back to the second part of my original question - is there anything I can do with my pc to stop this stalling happen?

• 2 months later...

Yes i have the same problem. eBay extremely slow. All other sites like British news papers Guardian Telegraph etc are all fine. Amoazon is fine in fact all but eBay.

eBay have no problems reported i have been in touch and it works fine some places but not at home.

I tried upgrading my 1mb service to 2mb with TRUE and it became slower. Whether this was just bad timing or not i don't know.

Never tried YouTube but eBay is crawling along. The eBay logo can take 5 minutes. its just impossible.

We have 2 PCs in the house and have tried my brother in laws laptop. All the same cannot even load eBay graphics on their site. Nothing in ebay communities.

We are in Chinatown.

Any one else having trouble?