Thailand And The Philippines Are To Push For A Common Visa

Just come across this - original can be found here

http://www.pr-inside.com/to-boost-tourism-...ion-r618762.htm

Thailand Common Visa

To boost tourism in the region, Thailand and the Philippines.........

2008-06-01 20:25:06 -

To boost tourism in the region, Thailand and the Philippines are to push for a common visa amongst Southeast Asian countries.

The move would see a single visa for all 10 member countries of the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN).

Speaking on Friday 23 May, Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo said Thailand and the Philippines would jointly push for the common

visa when Bangkok assumes the ASEAN chairmanship in July.

In 2007, almost 30 million non-ASEAN tourists visited the 10 countries in the region, which include Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar (Burma), the Philippines and Thailand.

But Thailand is the region's top tourist destination, and Koh Samui is the jewel in the crown, enjoying occupancy rates of over 80% year round.

I will beleive it when i see it

ASEAN are supposed to be looking at a joint Regulatory Framework for new pharmaceutical drugs - a bit like the EU's EMEA - they are talking at leat 7 years from now but they will not hit that according to the Viet Minister I hear speak at a conference recently - what chances a common visa?

But hypothetically, if it were to come to pass, would this make our lives easier or more difficult. I know some countries are more lenient on the visa regs, but some are definitely tougher.

On second thoughts, I guess that's the reason it will never happen.

On second thoughts, I guess that's the reason it will never happen.

I have always discounted the possibility of these multi-country visas coming to pass simply because of the players involved. I have a hard time picturing say, the Burmese, allowing Thailand or the Philippines to determine who has access to Burma. None of the countries involved are working towards common goals as is the case in the EU.

The UK doesn't trust Holland to issue visas for the UK, and they expect Myanmar to trust the Phillipines...

It's far more likely if they do something like Schengen, where countries are in or out, but it's not the whole of ASEAN.

http://aseanvisa.com/

Asian travelers intent on exploring the attractions of Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, but who have been loath to deal with visa hassles can now make their dream come true. Foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) signed a visa exemption treaty which, if ratified by all the countries, would allow citizens to enter and stay in territories of the 10-member grouping for a maximum 14 days.

It hasn't happened and I doubt It ever will !

Asian travelers intent on exploring the attractions of Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, but who have been loath to deal with visa hassles can now make their dream come true. Foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) signed a visa exemption treaty which, if ratified by all the countries, would allow citizens to enter and stay in territories of the 10-member grouping for a maximum 14 days.

Wow! A whole 14 days to spread between the ten countries. :o