Divx

jackspratt

I currently have the following DivX products installed on my PC (XP Pro).

- Codec 6.8.0 (10Mb)

- Content Uploader 1.2.1 (45.6)

- Converter 6.5.1 (45.6)

- Player 6.6.0 (10.1)

- Web Player 1.4.0 (45.6)

I also have VLC Media Player (ver 0.8.6e), Realplayer (10.5), QuickTime Player (7.4.1), Windows Media Player (10), and Media Player Classic (6.4.8.2) and Nero Media Player (1.4.0.35).

Then I have Ace Mega Codecs Pack ver 1.0.0.0.

I listen to downloaded music through Realplayer, and watch downloaded movies in various formats (.avi etc).

I can't help thinking I am overdoing it a bit, and therefore would welcome opinions/advice I what I can safely delete, what I should keep, and anything that I don't have, but should.

Cheers

jack

Edited by jackspratt

Get rid of Realplayer, by getting the Real Alternative codec (so you can play realmedia files in a regular player like media player classic)

Have you ever actually used the Divx player. (With the codec installed, most of the others will play the files).

Ditto for the Divx web player.

As for the others, I personally, only use GOM player, with VLC as a backup. I can't think of anything I use Windows Media player (11 or classic) with, and can't remember the last time I used Quicktime.

(I have VLC as a backup now simply because GOM player seems nicer in full screen mode, and doesn't seem to crash as much).

VLC will also play most music files I can think of - although I'll admit my CDs are mainly ripped to MP3s just.

I agree with above post. GOM for playing but still use WMP for file use. I have had a total lack of success with any Apple product on Windows and there insistence on trying to update/install additional programs without your notice has resulted in removal of Quick Time (even though I have a Camera using it). For QT I convert first using QuickMediaConverter. Also have Vista Codec Package from Shark007.

But admit I am not a real media freaky. Video music, TV and sometimes a movie are about it. No Hi Def equipment.