How Much Spending Money?

newby

Hi, me and my fiancee are going to thailand for three weeks for our honey moon.

Our main difficulty is trying to sort out the best way to work out our spending money and how much to take?

all hotels and transport is already booked and paid for.

we are spending

3 nights in Singapore

5 nights in Bali

3 nights in hong kong

3 nights in bangkok

5 nights in phuket

the figure we had in mind was a total of around £2000

also we are unsure of how much local currency we will need for each place, as we will be using debit/cash and credit cards.

we are looking to go to a few nice restaurants, but mainly eating at street markets etc

maybe a few tours, trips, partys, etc.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Hold on, first you say three weeks in Thailand then it comes down to eight nights then you mention a figure of £2000 plus (?) using debit/cash/credit cards. I assume this, the £2k, is for the four locations and not just Thailand.

I can't say much about HK and Bali but Singapore is quite expensive but with hotels paid for you've just got your shopping and entertainment to cover. £2000 over three weeks comes out a little under £100 per day which, depending on lifestyle, is well generous for Thailand and it would probably cover you in Singapore but not lavishly.

But this, lifestyle, is the piece of string of unknown length. Just what do you intend to do in your tour? If you intend to paint each town red and have a blast of a time you'd better try and raise the limits on your plastic. Alternatively if you intend doing the mainstream stuff and not too much shopping in Singapore then 2000 + plastics should do you okay.

If the 2000 is your total expenditure cash plus plastic then you'll need to budget carefully and I'd suggest going tight over the first half of your honeymoon. Nothing worse than finding yourself short of funds for the last week.

Sorry best I can do with info supplied.

Iwould have about 3,000 in US note, and if you take some money home well thats fine as well .Singapore will be your most expensive place . spread the money between you and your fiancee and exchange it when you arive where ever that may be .

That way you avoid card problems.

Sorry, yes the £2000 - £2500 will be our total spending allowance over the whole holiday, which will be devided in use by cards, and cash.

we are not planning on doing much shopping, mainly sight-seeing,exploring each location etc visiting the markets, and hopfully enjoy the night life.

Singapore is only expensive for booze if your hotel is paid for.

You can have a nice lunch for 10 SGD (just over 3 quid) in a shopping mall restaurant or for about 6 SGD at a hawker type food place or food court.

If you go out one night for a Chilli Crab at a seafood place think about 100 SGD for the two of you.

Shopping here is very reasonable depending on what you want - handbags etc my ex found cheaper here than Bangkok for decent ones.

Clothes are quite cheap here - electronics are a good price too. A recent example was the new HP UMPC - 23500 Thai Baht in Singapore and 38000 THB in Bangkok

The Zoo and the Night Safari is a decent day out - wandering arounsd Chinatown, Little India and around Boat and Clarke Quay costs nothing but you weill probably stop for a drink somewhere in the Quay's

All flights and accommodation paid for? Should have plenty of dough - 100 quid a day is plenty. As mentioned, take out a second mortgage if planning on going on a bender in singapore. Actually, beer prices aren't that bad - probably broadly comparable with the trendiest bars in london.

"Actually, beer prices aren't that bad - probably broadly comparable with the trendiest bars in london. "

Probably right - Harry's its on 9 Sing between 5 and 7 weekdays then 12 up to 9 and 14 or so after

Other bar's I pay up to about 18 a pint I think

you wont be getting drunk in singapore

Why not?

If I have not got exams very close by I am out a few nights a week?

OK I probably go to places in the middle to high price but if the OP wanted to drink at places like hawker centres etc I have heard its not that bad.

Even in decent places around Boat, Robertson and Clarke Quay you can get a bottle of wine for less than 20 GBP - thats not a bad price.

[by the sounds of things Singapore is going to be the most expensive place.

Well we are hoping to enjoy the evenings, but perhaps not getting drunk, well atleast every night. I was thinking some of the cheaper places like bali and the inclusive hotel in phuket will offset some of the more expensive places.

As i have said, shopping will be on the bottom of our list, mainly we are looking to enjoy the culture and the local cuisne

[by the sounds of things Singapore is going to be the most expensive place.

Well we are hoping to enjoy the evenings, but perhaps not getting drunk, well atleast every night. I was thinking some of the cheaper places like bali and the inclusive hotel in phuket will offset some of the more expensive places.

As i have said, shopping will be on the bottom of our list, mainly we are looking to enjoy the culture and the local cuisne

If you are not shopping much you should be fine with what you plan.

You only have 3 nights in Singapore anyway - plenty just to see just having a walk about for example get to Bugis MRT and walk to Raffles then past the civilian war memeorial over past the esplanade and down to the river then along Boat Quay and onto Clarke Quay will give you one night out - maybe do the bum boat trip from Clarke Quay up the river and around.

Looking in the shops up and down Orchard Road is something else you can do or as I said above the Zoo in the afternoon, stay on and eat up there then go to the night safari.

A Singapore Sling in The Long Bar at Raffles Hotel is usually on everyones list -that will set you back jusat over 20 Sing Dollars with tax

Newton Circus food court is fun to eat at - avoid the seafood and its quite cheap.

thanks for all advice. we will probably go for having approx £2000-2500 in total to cover the three weeks... and take the plastic just in case :D

the only other thing if any one can help us with is that we are a bit unsure of whether we should take all currencies for each place or take some cash see us through and then withdraw cash as and when we need it. just in case we end up having lots of currency left which we will have to change back and probably loose money as the exchange rate will be lower.

we were thinking may be take cash to last a few days then withdraw from the banks but unsure if this is the best thing to do.

do most restaurants accept debit and credit cards and is it easy to get cash available from cash points?? or is it better to take all cash?

some one i no suggested that we take all us dollers as they widley accepted, is this right?

we are not keen on taking travellers cheques.

sorry so many questions :o just so many options.

thanks

thanks for all advice. we will probably go for having approx £2000-2500 in total to cover the three weeks... and take the plastic just in case :D

the only other thing if any one can help us with is that we are a bit unsure of whether we should take all currencies for each place or take some cash see us through and then withdraw cash as and when we need it. just in case we end up having lots of currency left which we will have to change back and probably loose money as the exchange rate will be lower.

we were thinking may be take cash to last a few days then withdraw from the banks but unsure if this is the best thing to do.

do most restaurants accept debit and credit cards and is it easy to get cash available from cash points?? or is it better to take all cash?

some one i no suggested that we take all us dollers as they widley accepted, is this right?

sorry so many questions :o just so many options.

thanks

umm maybe already know this, but I'll still say it.

Don't forget to imform your bank that you'll be travelling and using your cards abroad.

I remember when I first came to Thailand, I used the ATM to withdraw money, the second time I went to use it, the machine kept my card. I called the bank (back in the UK) they said they thought someone had stole my cards and using them in Thailand. (this was with Lloyds, maybe different with other banks)

Anyway, have a nice honey moon. :D

oh yeah and...

"some one i no suggested that we take all us dollers as they widley accepted, is this right?"

I really don't know about this, never seen it been used in Thailand, and when I was in hong kong and Singapore, I used their currency.

From all the comments i see that Singapore is going to be quite expensive. I was wondering about the other places if anyone has any experience hong kong, bankok, phuket and bali?

we are planning to jus chill out and relax in puket, maybe visia the phi phi islands and to do a few excursions to the mountians etc on bali.

Not been to Bali and am not off to HK until next month, so can't advise on those, but Thailand is as expensive as you make it. You can eat off the streets or in top restaurants - up to you. You can go to a nice ordinary restaurant and have great food for a quid or two each. Beers are usually a little over a quid in ordinary bars, maybe double in flashier joints and clubs. Where you'll rack up the costs is on day trips and whether you want to go diving etc. Transport in Phuket is expensive - you need to use tuk tuks, which are 3 quid minimum journeys, a lot higher between the beaches. Evreything is relative though - those of us that have been here a while will grumble like mad at taking a 3 quid taxi. Holidayers like yourself shouldn't give a toss. Island hopping isn't expensive - a trip to phi phi will be a fiver or so, with the same going further over to Krabi, which I highly recommend.

Singapore isn't that pricey - it really is only beer that is the shocker.

You have no need to worry about money at all - just take a debit card each (and emergency credit card) and withdraw as you go. If you open a Nationwide Flex account you get free withdrawals abroad and great conversion rates - it's bloody marvellous. You can get much better rates of exchange over here than you can get back at home, so bring some sterling with you and change it here rather than there, if that's the route you want. But ATMs are the way to go.

Thanks for the very usufull info. We already have an nationwide flex account, for this reason, i wasn't sure that the exchange rate was better over there also which is good to know. I think the option of using a debit card just as we do at home is a good option

Never been to the far east before, so planning a trip like this so we can make the most of our time there seems to be a minefield.

I think most of us can relate to that. The internet is a great source of information, but can also be a complete killer - the amount of superfluous nonsense you read can tie you in knots.

My advice is just go and forget about any "detail".

Why not? It is probably the most secure way to take what is effectively cash with you. You can exchange them in just about all hotels and banks, you just need to present your passport when you cash them in. If they are lost or stolen they cannot be cashed by anyone but you and you can report the loss, have them cancelled and receive replacements with just a phone call.

Sterling or USD or even Euros are accepted at exchange booths but if you are bringing cash you are reliant on the hotels having room safes or safety deposit boxes. This is not usually too much of a problem but there have, in the past, been cases of hotel staff misusing the master key. :o

As I said above your budget is adequate without being extravagant but I would make sure additional emergency funds are available to cover any unforseen difficulties.

Finally I would not "just go and forget about any detail". It's your honeymoon <deleted>, this is not just any old annual holiday this is the one you want to have great memories of for the rest of your life.

Enjoy your honeymoon, you are coming to a great part of the world. :D

Obtain the local currency upon arrival via an ATM machine but do carry some cash you can exchange for emergency situations.

As previously stated, notify your card companies you will be traveling.

Edited by ballbreaker

I think most of us can relate to that. The internet is a great source of information, but can also be a complete killer - the amount of superfluous nonsense you read can tie you in knots.

My advice is just go and forget about any "detail".

I'll second that!

You stated in your original post, you are coming on your honeymoon. I'm only assuming now, but that translates to me, that you and your wife to be, are youngish, both of you still working, making Western wages, and most probably have a lot of working years left. This is your honeymoon, bring more money, do it right! Don't limit yourselves. If you have to, apply for another credit card, call it the honeymoon credit card. Maybe you two will want to do something wild and crazy, like hire out a sailboat for a romantic private sunset sail, etc.

You are only young once. Enjoy it! And, congratulations!

Edited by maxjay