Police Accused Of Killing Soldier To Be Released

george

Police accused of killing soldier to be released

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court asked the Bangkok Special Prison to release two police officers who allegedly shot dead a soldier in March after public prosecutors cannot file a case against the two.

Prosecutors reportedly received the case from police investigators only last week and did not have enough time to study the case to see whether it contains enough evidence to convict the two.

Prosecutors vowed to speed up process ad see which parts are needed for further investigation.

But the two would be released as their detention term has completed 84 days.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-06-04

Let's see if they venture out in the same neighborhood where the crime occured.

I would bet that they will avoid the area like the plague.

Interested to see if this dead man's co-workers come out to play, too.

like the below..............

Leader of demolishers shot dead at Chatuchak Sunday Market

A leader of a group of men sent to demolish shops at the Chatuchak Sunday Market early Wednesday was shot dead.

Police said Samlee Yai-im, 50, was shot at his forehead while leading some 20 men to vandalise shops at the market at 1:00AM.

Police said they did not know where he bullet came from.

The market was owned by Thanasarn Sombat, which has been unsuccessfully trying to evict vendors.

The gunfire frightened the men who tried to flee the scene but they were rounded up by police who happened to arrive at the scene.

They admitted that they were hired by Samlee between Bt200 to Bt500 each to demolish the shops.

The Nation

The Thai criminal justice system certainly leaves a lot to be desired on a number of fronts. But in this case, the Thai courts are following a practice that actually has world-wide application...the speedy trial rule. The police officers were held without formal charges for 84 days and that is the limit here in Thailand. While they have been released, that doesn't mean they won't be prosecuted. It is just that the investigators need to get their act together and complete their investigation so the prosecution can determine exactly which charges to file. In my experience with the Royal Thai Police, they have a limited number of really accomplished investigators and many of the major cases are sloppily investigated. Plus investigators with the RTP don't seem to be in much of a hurry to get things finished, which drives the prosecutors crazy. Since this is a case involving two Royal Thai Police officers, I would like to think that investigators are really being thorough and cautious in their investigation and not just dragging their feet...but I'm afraid I can't be that optimistic.

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court asked the Bangkok Special Prison to release two police officers who allegedly shot dead a soldier in March after public prosecutors cannot file a case against the two.

Surprised?? Not here nor anymore, please.

Welcome to Thailand!! :o

The Thai criminal justice system certainly leaves a lot to be desired on a number of fronts. But in this case, the Thai courts are following a practice that actually has world-wide application...the speedy trial rule. The police officers were held without formal charges for 84 days and that is the limit here in Thailand. While they have been released, that doesn't mean they won't be prosecuted. It is just that the investigators need to get their act together and complete their investigation so the prosecution can determine exactly which charges to file. In my experience with the Royal Thai Police, they have a limited number of really accomplished investigators and many of the major cases are sloppily investigated. Plus investigators with the RTP don't seem to be in much of a hurry to get things finished, which drives the prosecutors crazy. Since this is a case involving two Royal Thai Police officers, I would like to think that investigators are really being thorough and cautious in their investigation and not just dragging their feet...but I'm afraid I can't be that optimistic.

'Criminal Justice System' - justice for criminals not victims!

"- The Criminal Court asked the Bangkok Special Prison to release two police officers who allegedly shot dead a soldier in March after public prosecutors cannot file a case against the two.

Prosecutors reportedly received the case from police investigators only last week..."

Protecting ones own.

It would make sense in this case and a number of others that the "alleged" are remanded. Sadly, TIT and certain classes/groups of people appear to be exempt from the law. Mooham anyone? :o