Volunteer Opportunity

emh1969

I worked as a respected ajarn at one of the oldest govt. schools in northern Thailand. In the opening interview, they clearly told me they would not get me a work permit or help me with my visa, period. Later I heard the school had recently paid a huge fine or bribe for employing foreign teachers illegally. If they had told me the last part, they would have been more honest.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, in a nutshell - if you want to have a great (nay 'memorable') time at the Elephant Nature Park, as I'm sure you will , then go for it. However, if you think that some great scandal may erupt whilst you are there (extremely unlikely) or you anticipate upsetting an Important Person - (I don't know you personally but at a guess ..... hard to imagine) then don't do it.

I am not the person enquiring about the Elephant Nature Park.

I was around when the John Mark Carr (sp ?) brouhaha broke and illegally working *paid* teachers found themselves in trouble during the subsequent investigations.

Not long since a foreign teacher working in Korea was recognised as the "swirly-faced" child abuser and arrested in Thailand.

Such an event could easily occur here.

Unfortunately, abusers are frequently found working with children. Orphanages and schools in developing countries are understandably of much interest to these people. Thailand has shown itself to be no exception in attracting such folk.

It's not just about the likelihood of you "being caught", though.

You might consider there are other reasons why applications to volunteer should not be directed to the Department of "Don't worry, we'll take care of the paperwork for you :o ."

I worked as a respected ajarn at one of the oldest govt. schools in northern Thailand. In the opening interview, they clearly told me they would not get me a work permit or help me with my visa, period. Later I heard the school had recently paid a huge fine or bribe for employing foreign teachers illegally. If they had told me the last part, they would have been more honest.

Interesting, indeed, to wonder about the dynamics of finance and favour on the Thai side of the fence.

Edited by sylviex

I was around when the John Mark Carr (sp ?) brouhaha broke and illegally working *paid* teachers found themselves in trouble during the subsequent investigations.

Not long since a foreign teacher working in Korea was recognised as the "swirly-faced" child abuser and arrested in Thailand.

The Carr case was embarrassing for Thailand and it reacted mainly by introducing police checks for prospective teachers when they obtain or renew their non-imm visa. Although the police checks are still a requirement for teachers obtaining a non-imm B for teaching at Thai consulates and embassies around the world, there are many consulates who don't insist. In addition, very few teachers currently working in Thailand are asked for a police check when extending their visa. Especially in Chiang Mai. The only police checks I heard of were reported by teachers on internet forums. It's my experience that when these teachers/experts are asked for details, they fail to provide any.

So, police checks were introduced but are slowly being forgotten.

I have not seen evidence of widespread crackdowns other than on internet forums.

And Jon Mark Carr was working legally anyway. These 'checks' and 'crackdowns' would have missed him.

I think the risk of having a problem while volunteering is very small. Riding a motorbike in CM involves more risk. Life involves risk. Some people can live with this, others can't - a personal choice in my opinion.

Edited by Loaded

Thank you for welcome to your Chiangmai forums. I like idea about volunteer for my husband. He do nothing all day just in the house and complain about can't find good sanwich. It not so good. After I read here about volunteer I go to immigration to ask about can my husband he do it? Man there very nice. Say no problem because my husband have good heart. And he ask my phone number.

Thank you for welcome to your Chiangmai forums. I like idea about volunteer for my husband. He do nothing all day just in the house and complain about can't find good sanwich. It not so good. After I read here about volunteer I go to immigration to ask about can my husband he do it? Man there very nice. Say no problem because my husband have good heart. And he ask my phone number.

Hi I own a bong

What's your phone number?

• 3 weeks later...

Looking through last week's Chiang Mai Mail, I noticed another article about the latest meeting of the CM Friends (see chiangmai-mail.com/current/community.shtmlwhole for whole article).

The author states:

The aim of Chiang Mai Friends' is to promote education and friendship and to work together to protect and enhance the local environment. As part of the English language education project now in place, 95 municipality staff are now receiving spoken English lessons from native-speaking volunteers, with the cooperation and agreement of the immigration authorities. The municipal schools arm of the project is also well under way - more teachers are now required for both programmes!

So -- does anyone know if anything has changed so far as the legality of foreigners working with this program goes ... or if it's still the same "mai bpen rai, we'll take care of it" approach ?

Another item in the same edition of CM Mail reports :

The Informal Network for the Needy, a group set up earlier this year with the aim of networking ideas, contacts and information between NGOs in Chiang Mai, held its 3rd meeting recently at the Rejoice Centre.

No idea about this group's ability to assure legal status, but if you're interested in volunteer opportunities, you could try approaching them. Please let us know how it goes if you do. Article and contact details are at chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd9 .

Edited by sylviex

I know a Chiang Mai foundation that offers work permits for volunteer English teachers in Chiang Mai in Tessabahn (government) and temple schools, so why doesn't Chiang Mai Friends follow this path? It is the only legal way to do this sort of activity.

Edited by Loaded

Maybe the Immigration Police are now issuing work permits? Maybe the reporter got it wrong? I have been following all the reports of the Chiang Mai Friends Group, and see no hint of the volunteer program being legal, although it continues. Mai bpen rai indeed. If farang wish to get in good with the local municipal authorities at the risk of being deported, mpr. The chance of being deported, jailed, or fined huge penalties is low. Can we just use that as an acronym - mpr?

I am sorry to say I saw no mention of work permits for the volunteers sought for the Rejoice Program, either (though it does seem genuinely altruistic in nature).*Mpr* !

The phrase in the article about CM Friends would appear seriously misleading if nothing has changed, and we have no reason to think it has. *Mpr* !

It isn't going to be the volunteers who get any real opportunity to benefit from befriending the municipal council, of course, but rather the organizers, who sit in safely legal positions. *Mpr* !

Edited by sylviex

There is a CMFG meeting coming up if anyone would like to bring this issue up in a formal setting. From the attention this thread is getting, it seems there is still an interest in finding answers, which I don't blame anyone. I wouldn't want to get booted out of Thailand because of someone assuming something was legal when it is not.

Time: 19.00 pm – 21.00 pm on Wednesday 23rd July, 2008

Venue: Suan Pak Restaurant, Sanambin Road. Between Airport Plaza and Immigration Office, on the way to the airport.

Thanks, richard.

Is anyone able (can anyone be bothered) to go ? I am 99.9 % sure the Chiang Mai Friends' response to any enquiries about work permits for volunteers will be that the voluntary work is taking place with the cooperation and agreement of the immigration authorities :o .

The fact that CM Mail has now adopted this phrase and presents it as fact is the more recent point of concern to me, so far as the Chiang Mai Friends are concerned.

The issue of legal voluntary work remains of interest to many -- see the topic running in the General forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Just for the record and to hopefully clarify for those that may still doubt their own illegalities...

Excerpts of comments made during the Chiang Mai Mail’s interview with Prayut Chommalee, the Superintendent at Chiang Mai Immigration.

Another mistake is regarding work permits; foreigners are not allowed to work whilst applying for their work permit.

Although we cannot comment about individual cases, many foreigners come here on a tourist visa and work illegally. We investigate these cases thoroughly, sometimes over a long period of time, using various methods, including hidden cameras, to prove the person is working. Once we have the evidence we produce it to the courts.

• 4 months later...
emh1969 Today, 2008-06-05 13:35:59 Post #1

Saw an article in Tuesday's Chaing Mai Mail that might be of interest since I know the topic of volunteering comes up from time to time. This is a cross-cultural education project sponsored by the Chiang Mai Friends' group and supported by Chiang Mai municipality. Volunteers will spend a minimum of two hours a week with students 11-12 years old, assisting them with English conversation. Volunteers need either an ESL qualification or be recommended by the board of the Chiang Mai Friends' group.

Here's the good thing...special permission is being given by the Chiang Mai Municipality to enable volunteer teachers to work without the usual requirements of a work permit.

Contact person is Khun Boong [email protected]

About the special permission is correct. I went this morning to their meeting at the CM Municipality Office, where also the Mayor attended.

They are looking for volunteers with ESL qualifications to teach the Municipality staff. 95 Staff members have signed up. Lessons will be held on Thursday (and Tuesday, if I rememebr well) afternoons from 2.30 to 4.30pm. This afternoon was the first lesson. Khun Boong can give you all the info you need.

Then, there is a need for volunteers who would like to teach 5th graders at 11 different Municipality schools. Qualification required are ESL instructor or approved by the Chiang Mai Friends Group committees.

Professor Paws - Humane education: Living Safely with Dogs - is part of the English teaching program at the schools. Soraya (Care for Dogs) and I (LuckyDogs) will start next Friday at one of these schools.

We need, however, more volunteers. If you are interested, please pm me or contact Soraya through Care for Dogs.

See for more info on the Professor Paws project: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=Professor+Paws

Nienke

they may have stopped this by now. they take a copy of your passport but then say that the "permit" will be dealt with at the municipality and then held at the school.. it never happens of course. these scams should be stopped

The city does not have money in the budget that could pay for English lessons? The people who are looking to teach English for a income will be real happy for volunteers to fill a potential workplace position I am sure??? With all the ongoing, upcoming, and new projects being proposed, English training for employees should be a rather inexpensive proposal. If work permit is not require there are probably several people who would be interested.

If the interest is there, but only the required WP is the problem, then with the special permit that problem is solved. :o

By any chance can we see a scanned copy of this "special permit" that is issued by a government official for a matter over which he has no authority?

there isn't one! and if anyone flames this just go to city hall and ask. it does not exist.

Exceptionally shy group, the "Chiang Mai Friends" seem to be for such a selfless, keen to help lot..

I tend to think that if they had nothing to hide, a representative might have come forward to promote your activities and comment by now.

Hello, Chiang Mai Friends ? Where are you when we need you ?

How will we know how to contact you if you don't tell us who you are ?

look at the retireinchiangmai website and the threads on expat clubs and chiangmaifriends (now closed)