Changing Lanes

2long

Please leave your feelings here with regards to the local drivers (in Bangkok mainly) who just decide to change lanes without absolutely no regard for others, let alone any indication. It's the lack of indicating that really winds me up.

I've been here long enough to learn the culture and the language and been on the roads almost as long, but it still winds me up. If I'm having a 'chill day' I'll just chuckle to myself, other times I may get more obviously upset. However, whatever mood I'm in, I still can't help noticing and commenting (even to myself) how thick, rude and inconsiderate they are.

Please leave your feelings here with regards to the local drivers (in Bangkok mainly) who just decide to change lanes without absolutely no regard for others, let alone any indication. It's the lack of indicating that really winds me up.

I've been here long enough to learn the culture and the language and been on the roads almost as long, but it still winds me up. If I'm having a 'chill day' I'll just chuckle to myself, other times I may get more obviously upset. However, whatever mood I'm in, I still can't help noticing and commenting (even to myself) how thick, rude and inconsiderate they are.

Got it in 3. They are indeed thick, rude and inconsiderate! Let's keep in mind (these are reasons, not excuses!) that the motor car is very new to Thailand. These folk around us are mainly first, or at best, second generation drivers who have never passed a real test and never even heard of the Highway Code. (Yes, there is one! Remarkably similar to the British).

When my daughter in UK passed her test, first time, at 18, she became a 4th generation driver with a childhood of safe passengering (and learning without knowing) with 2 elder generations.

Very few Thais around us - at all - have had those advantages. All we can do is watch out - and avoid. Do all the thinking required for everyone around you, anticipate the worst, and you'll be OK.

Got it in 3. They are indeed thick, rude and inconsiderate! Let's keep in mind (these are reasons, not excuses!) that the motor car is very new to Thailand. These folk around us are mainly first, or at best, second generation drivers who have never passed a real test and never even heard of the Highway Code. (Yes, there is one! Remarkably similar to the British).

When my daughter in UK passed her test, first time, at 18, she became a 4th generation driver with a childhood of safe passengering (and learning without knowing) with 2 elder generations.

Very few Thais around us - at all - have had those advantages. All we can do is watch out - and avoid. Do all the thinking required for everyone around you, anticipate the worst, and you'll be OK.

Please don't make excuses for them, as a motorcyclist in Pattaya I make a point of noticing the registration plates of the vehicles around me in an attempt to remain alive. Always excluding Baht buses/minibuses as they are a law unto themselves I find that a car with a local (Chonburi) plate in general makes room for a motorbike or other vehicle, cars with other plates (excluding Bangkok & Chonburi) tend to meander aimlessly, but without malice, on their way, but those bearing the dread bangkok plate are a menace to all. They weave from left to right with no regard or awareness for anyone, overtake where there is no space and cut across motorbikes as if they weren't there!

The Bangkokians are not 1st generationers in they main, they are arrogant, they have a car (or a better car than you) and drive like they own the road. I am aware that a lot of foreigners in Pattaya also register their cars in Bangkok, so this appears to apply to them as well!

Spleen vented, still alive so far, thank you very much and good night.

I couldn't agree more with the above posts, but we've gone off topic a bit. How do you FEEL /What do you do when they just change lanes in front of you? Not necessarily dangerously in front of you, or anyone. Just thoughtlessly or arrogantly. Nobody will EVER change them, so it seems pointless getting involved. Road rage is a terrible action. Complining, beeping horns, hand gestures etc are all a wast eof time, even if they make us feel better.

Be honest, are you coming to terms with their lane changing, getting used to it enough to not notice, or does it still boil your blood?

WHAT!? And ruin the advantage of the surprise move?!

In Bangkok traffic you just need to change lanes sometimes, and rules are such that if you get your nose in, the lane is yours.

I have absolutely no problem with that; Took me a while to get the hang of it, but it works, and is fair. Do make a point in thanking the person you just switched in front of, as if he intentionally let you in. :o I love that.

WHAT!? And ruin the advantage of the surprise move?!

In Bangkok traffic you just need to change lanes sometimes, and rules are such that if you get your nose in, the lane is yours.

I have absolutely no problem with that; Took me a while to get the hang of it, but it works, and is fair. Do make a point in thanking the person you just switched in front of, as if he intentionally let you in. :D I love that.

Jefferson is quite correct, using the indicator would signal your intention and give the other car time to cut you off. Also, pull up to a T junction and see how many motorbikes use their left indicators to turn down your lane. Thai drivers just ignore motorbikes and push staright in front of them, as I also ride a bike I thought it was plain ignorance, but they know that the motorbikes don't indicate and couldn't be bothered to wait and find out.

Years ago a copper stpped me at an intersection for going straight ahead without using my hazzard lights. Need one say any more about the knowledge of the enforcers? Well, yes actually, have seen coppers on motorbikes almost forced off the road by other poor drivers. They just ignore it and continue on. :o

The abysmal standard of driving is unlikely to change on its own, it is simply described as "Thai style" that foreigners should adapt to. I do know what the OP means by chill days.

The car comes with a license as a mere formality, The parasitic police live off graft from transgressions committed by untrained ignorant drivers so what should anyone expect?

Drive carefully and carry some cash never mind the license.

Thais try to get where they want as fast as possible in a safest way, as they see it.

Very few people cut you off and force you to slam your brakes, most just use every available bit of space in a most efficient way. I sometimes even admire their skill to creep on you unnoticed and get in front as if the space had been reserved only to quietly disappear in two seconds. If someone changes lanes without endangering anyone, what's the problem?

It's not like we have miles of empty roads and tons of time.

Considering this is a country where manners and consideration for others rate so highly, what I see EVERY day amazes me.

As mentioned before, this isn't supposed to be a thread to slag off the drivers we share the road with. They do many bad, rude and dangerous things. That's a fact.

I wanted to know how we/you felt inside, or reacted physically or verbally.

Considering this is a country where manners and consideration for others rate so highly, what I see EVERY day amazes me.

As mentioned before, this isn't supposed to be a thread to slag off the drivers we share the road with. They do many bad, rude and dangerous things. That's a fact.

I wanted to know how we/you felt inside, or reacted physically or verbally.

OK, you seem insistent on this aspect so here goes. But first, gmac, LOVE your avatar!!

This very afternoon, as the rain began again, unsurpringly, in Chiang Mai, a fat young woman on a motorcycle combo suddenly raced out of a turn. She was turning right into a main but narrow single carriageway road and did so without stopping or looking, as per bloody usual. Having failed to kill anyone coming towards her on THAT side of the road she almost bounced off my drivers door while swerving left. Shame she didn't.

200m later I am slowing and indicating right to turn into a minor road myself and she is RIGHT up my exhaust pipe. There is a screech as she belatedly jams on the brakes and fails (again sadly) to hit my ass-end.

Although the junction is blind (shophouse on the right hand corner) she actually OVERTOOK ME on the right as I turned right. Anyone innocently coming to the junction on the minor road would have been her head on victim.

Two totally ferkin ludicrous emergencies in 200m from the same moron, just because she is suddenly getting wet in the rainy season.

I confess. I lost my rag!

I overtook her (safely) and steered left and slowed and basically 'encouraged' her into the left side of the road to get her attention. My passenger window happened to be open. By the time we both stopped I had already shouted "Antereye Bar" loudly enough to attract everyone in the nearby market, then followed it with the English equivalent of "Dangerous .........idiot!" She looked utterly shocked (wouldn't look at me of course), turned sharp left and shot up a blind alley.

This made me feel MUCH better as I drove away, MAY have given her some cause for thought and MAY have discouraged her from being such a moron again. But of course I doubt it.

I've had comparably dangerous incidents with male Thai drivers, usually at night. And that's why I always have a (fully legal) capsicum spray in the glovebox. Have not had to use it yet but the night may come!

General Thai tolerance sadly means that potential killers like this can continue being a mobile death sentence for long periods with no-one bringing it to their attention. Notably the police, of course.

I feel a certain duty to help..........