Htc Touch Diamond

damole

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone seen one for sale in Thailand yet? And if so how much?

I have looked today in Tuk Com in Pattaya, they have none. I read a report that MBK has them in BKK for 29,900. May go there next week as long as the protests don't get worse.

I like the look of them and specs look good, except that it seems they are only dual band for 3G - 900/2100MHz. I use DTAC in Thailand, and I understand that when DTAC rolls out their 3G service here in Thailand it will be on 850MHz so I suspect DTAC 3G will be unusable on this phone.

Has anyone seen one for sale in Thailand yet? And if so how much?

I saw them in Phuket at Central. 29000. However, if you youtube it, you will see video of slow restarts and the touch screen makes your fingers jump, not a smooth glide.

I use a Nokia 9500. I am waiting on the Touch Pro, hopefully released this month. I prefer qwerty, even though the Diamond has a software run qwerty, the Pro has virtually unlimited storage, more compatability worldwide and 7.6 HSDPA.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought an HTC Touch Diamond last week at Siam Paragon....its cool looking, and a step up from an ordinary HTC Touch (with Windows Mobile 6.1) BUT the software is really sluggish! :o god.... almost better to keep the HTC Touch....

now Im thinking of getting a Sony Experia with Windows...

does anyone have one and is it available in Bangkok yet?

I bought an HTC Touch Diamond last week at Siam Paragon....its cool looking, and a step up from an ordinary HTC Touch (with Windows Mobile 6.1) BUT the software is really sluggish! :o god.... almost better to keep the HTC Touch....

The Xperia is due for release in mid-September 2008.

Xperia vs Touch Diamond vs iPhone 3G comparison

Why not just admit defeat and get an iPhone until the others catch up... :D

I read the engadget comparison of Omnia vs Touch Diamond - they are certainly improving, but still have a long way to go. Particularly, one of them (don't remember which) has awful battery life. Both are easy to use only on the surface, prepare to whip out the stylus if you want to do anything past the first level of icons.

BTW I agree that in terms of hardware - or at least, quality and looks - these companies have no problem competing with the iPhone. It's the software and touch tech they struggle with.

Edited by nikster

It's so bloody hard choosing :o

I'm in the market for a new PDA as well (my trusty O2 finally concked out).

One of my major choosing point will be 3G. It'll have to be 850 Mhz capable, since that is what Dtac will use initially, of course 2100 MHz...

The 3G Iphone only does 2100 Mhz, which in Thailand is at least 1 year or more away...

Also, the unlocked Iphone costs currently over 500 Euro's (26,000 Baht) for the 8Gb and over 600 Euro's (32000 Baht) for the 16Gb in Belgium (where nobody is allowed to sell sim locked phones by law)...

Guess over here they'll be even more expensive...

Why not just admit defeat and get an iPhone until the others catch up... :D

I read the engadget comparison of Omnia vs Touch Diamond - they are certainly improving, but still have a long way to go. Particularly, one of them (don't remember which) has awful battery life. Both are easy to use only on the surface, prepare to whip out the stylus if you want to do anything past the first level of icons.

BTW I agree that in terms of hardware - or at least, quality and looks - these companies have no problem competing with the iPhone. It's the software and touch tech they struggle with.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the Omnia because I want WM for editable excel, and the Omnia has the largest screen without being a brick.

Second choice would be HTC Diamond which are selling for ~SG900

This online merchant ships internationally but I've never tried them

http://www.whymobile.com/productinfo.php?id=HTC-TDiamond

It's so bloody hard choosing :o

I'm in the market for a new PDA as well (my trusty O2 finally concked out).

One of my major choosing point will be 3G. It'll have to be 850 Mhz capable, since that is what Dtac will use initially, of course 2100 MHz...

The 3G Iphone only does 2100 Mhz, which in Thailand is at least 1 year or more away...

Also, the unlocked Iphone costs currently over 500 Euro's (26,000 Baht) for the 8Gb and over 600 Euro's (32000 Baht) for the 16Gb in Belgium (where nobody is allowed to sell sim locked phones by law)...

Guess over here they'll be even more expensive...

We'll see. I don't think it's hard to choose, but I guess that's a matter of perspective. Lots of people have gotten used to their WinMobile - for me, it was never an option. Always hated styluses, and the whole idea of taking a desktop OS and putting it on a tiny screen seemed retarded. Never owned a Palm or any other PDA. I struggled with Symbian previously but the "smart" functions in this OS are more for geeking out and playing around - I never used them seriously, and when I tried there were terrible performance and stability problems.

Here's the good news - the iPhone 3G does 3G for 850MHz [from http://www.apple.com/nz/iphone/specs.html]:

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Edited by nikster

Here's the good news - the iPhone 3G does 3G for 850MHz [from http://www.apple.com/nz/iphone/specs.html]:

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

That's good news.

I guess they had to do this especially for the Oz market, where a large part of the HSDPA net runs on 850 Mhz!

The original specs I saw (US model) indicated 1900/2100 only!

upgrade the diamond firmware with one of the roms at xda-developers and tweaks. no more sluggish interface

HTC Diamond selling for $650 in Phnom Penh phone shops around the central market.

Comes in the box but no warrantee.

HI

I have a HTC P3600I like it but will change it out for the new Samsung OMNIA sgh i 900, what a nice phone, runs on WM, well i like windows, must be the only one.

Get a real phone.

http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/

HI

Had one, lucky for me i got rid of that piece of sh!t, mind you it was the first one, no word, excel, could not take your sim card and just put it in that crap phone, no contacts. So if i am to buy a ipod with a phone they have to come up with a good one, maybe in a years time or two. I like WM, dont like apple

I'm now officially hooked on the Xperia. But will it be super-expensive, like 40K Baht when it does come out? 40K would mean one less trip to Bangkok, and thus impossible to justify, so...fingers crossed it's closer to 30K baht!

I had an iPod touch once, and I didn't like having to load photos through iTunes, it wrestles certain controls away from you... which isn't really the point. I feel like an Apple casualty at the moment, having been a Mac user for 8 years, and a very vocal iPod defender, but I don't like the way this company's headed -- given their latest round of products as well as Leopard, at this rate, I don't think Apple can maintain any sort of philosophy or experience quality for much longer. I feel like I might as well do Windows and Windows Mobile and so on and so forth.

• 1 month later...
I'm now officially hooked on the Xperia. But will it be super-expensive, like 40K Baht when it does come out? 40K would mean one less trip to Bangkok, and thus impossible to justify, so...fingers crossed it's closer to 30K baht!

I had an iPod touch once, and I didn't like having to load photos through iTunes, it wrestles certain controls away from you... which isn't really the point. I feel like an Apple casualty at the moment, having been a Mac user for 8 years, and a very vocal iPod defender, but I don't like the way this company's headed -- given their latest round of products as well as Leopard, at this rate, I don't think Apple can maintain any sort of philosophy or experience quality for much longer. I feel like I might as well do Windows and Windows Mobile and so on and so forth.

geez, I gave away my HTC Touch Diamond and use the Samsung Omnia (and am very happy with the change)....but dont tell me Sony Experia is better than the Samsung Omnia?! is it?......then I will have to switch when it comes to Bangkok by this Christmas (or if I have a chance to hop to HK in a few weeks)...

HI

I have a HTC P3600I like it but will change it out for the new Samsung OMNIA sgh i 900, what a nice phone, runs on WM, well i like windows, must be the only one.

Get a real phone.

http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/

HI

Had one, lucky for me i got rid of that piece of sh!t, mind you it was the first one, no word, excel, could not take your sim card and just put it in that crap phone, no contacts. So if i am to buy a ipod with a phone they have to come up with a good one, maybe in a years time or two. I like WM, dont like apple

agree with you..I dont like the iPhone software,pretty but useless (I use my iPod Shuffle (gym) and iPod Nano (all other times) but thats it for apple).....symbian system is neither pretty nor useful.....Windows Mobile is the way to go.....(havent tried Blackberries....corporate clients seem to always have them though....)...

If doing a visa run to Malaysia (where I currently am) there's a few shops in Penang (as well as KL) specializing in smartphones and HTC. Picked up an HTC 3600i last month for equiv of 17,000b (RM is roughly same exchange rate as baht, but with one less 0).

I love it. The Diamond was too expensive (for me), but the Touch is so damned cute! I passed on it because the Touch doesn't have GPS. All have the same screen size BTW. I'm looking forward to Android, and HTC is working on this. Hopefully someday I'll be running it on my 3600i. The thing about PPC is there's lots of apps for it. I don't care for the iPhone-wanna be crap with all that finger spinning, I spend too much time trying to make the screen go back to where I was.

You can also get HTC stuff in Hong Kong. I had to order accessories from a place in HK, even with the shipping things cost about half-price.

Why not just admit defeat and get an iPhone until the others catch up... :o

I have an iPhone but the radio in those things are very weak. Where I stay in Laos every other make of phone was able to receive and make calls. I could do web browsing on the iPhone as I would get intermittnet signal strength and load a page before it went down again, but forget any sort of messenger or calling that requires stable connections. It is a moot or mute point if you like to have a phone when the reception is that poor.

I am looking at a different type of phone not because I don't love my iPhone but because for a lot of things the iPhone isn't adequate. If the other phones are lacking in the Ipod part I can use my iPhone for that. Given the signal strength of my current 3G in the UK I don't hold my breath it will perform any better in Thailand or Laos. That is if I could ever unlock it. The previous phone I used was an original unlocked and had the same bad signal. It was incredibly frustrating having such a nice phone that worked only well enough to tease me. It was also a tad embarassing having Lao people ask me "why you pay 25,000 baht but call can not?"

• 2 weeks later...