80% Of Tourists From Japan Disappear Because Of Protests: Govt

george

80 per cent of tourists from Japan disappear because of protests: Govt spokesman

BANGKOK: -- Government Spokesman Wichianchot Sukchotrat Saturday blamed the protests led by the People's Alliance for Democracy for the disappearance by some 80 per cent of tourists from Japan.

Wichianchot said the protests on the Rajdamnone Avenue by the PAD scared away foreign investors and tourists.

He said the disappearance by tourists also affected the aviation industry.

The spokesman said the government was trying to negotiate with the protesters to move to another site because the protests had severely affected the country and affected many other people's rights.

-- The Nation 2008-06-07

I did receive two emails from Japanese embassy last month advising its citizens to stay out of the protest sites, but I see almost nothing about the protest either on news sites or newspapers except the locally published Japanese newspapers. Nothing on travel advisory page of Japanese foreign ministry website either about recent political turmoil and protest. I don't think it receives that much media attention in Japan.

Edited by Nordlys

Wichianchot said the protests on the Rajdamnone Avenue by the PAD scared away foreign investors and tourists.

Total nonsense ... a few tourists friends went through bangkok a week ago visiting all is worth visiting, they never ever were aware of the so called 'PAD protests' ... pure government rethoric who don't have any single positive idea since thay have been 'elected'.

Well I think the decline in the number of Japenese tourist is due to early closing time at sing a song joints, rumors of police corruption, rumors of pollution, no smoking zones, rainey season coming early, rumor of transport strikes and finally it is becoming more difficult to get a visa for their girlfriend.. Now that you know my thoughts, will you give me a plum position in this farsighted government so my ideas a put into nationwide news print?

The government is setting up excuses to be able to strike down hard soon.

I'm afraid you may be right. Whether it is "hard" or not I don't know, but they want to build up public opinion against the PAD using the oldest trick in the book i.e. pretending the protesters are hurting the economy. Get Somchai Public to think that their livelihood is at risk so there is no public sympathy when the mobs are sent in to disperse the protesters. Happens regularly in Thailand with governments that care more for their own survival than the national interest. Not unlike Burma in that sense. :o

80 percent sounds way too high. I think Japanese tourists make plans well in advance, and are unlikely to cancel. Maybe they cancel for a coup, but not protests. Where did this govt. spokesman get his figures?

True. There were cancellations during coup but they kept flocking into the country in the year of the coup and the year after that, during which time Thailand was under junta rule and martial law. Last year's figure shows only 3.45% drop in the number of tourists compared to 2006, that was the year of the bomb scare in Bangkok and murder of Japanese female backpacker in Sukothai which were widely reported in Japan. I know many Japanese companies imposed moratorium on non-essential business trip to Bangkok for a few months after the new year bombing in Bangkok. Many tourists detour Bangkok and go straight to beach resort like Phuket anyway, they've recently resumed non-stop flight between Tokyo and Phuket for the first time since Tsunami. 80% of the annual number of Japanese visitors to the country account for almost a million, that's a huge number of tourists.

Edited by Nordlys

:o What a joke!! Sixty per cent of the apartment block I live in are Japanese and we talk regularly on this and that (I speak Japanese fluently as I lived there for ten years, Japanese wife and so on) and not one person, either in the Japanese press,(which I also read) or the aforementioned people have expressed any concern whatsoever about the so-called new political crisis.

This government must be desperate to stoop so low to blame domestic (not international) problems of their own making for lower visitor arrivals from any one country. Sad,Sad,sad!

80 percent sounds way too high. I think Japanese tourists make plans well in advance, and are unlikely to cancel. Maybe they cancel for a coup, but not protests. Where did this govt. spokesman get his figures?

As Peabody used to say, "Set the way back machine" to my days as an undergrad in lab courses, and when we arrive, we'll see students "cooking" the data to get the desired result. The thing was, the attempts were always so obvious, that people would often get caught and end up with an F. There is no indication of even a base survey to interview the Japanese. Lemme guess, the number is made up and has less validity than a 1st year chem student's results :o .

Now, if this was in the real world of business, the person offering such a statement would either be terminated from his job, or if in research be ostracized and probably banished. Since this is Thailand, I expect a promotion within the government.

If Wichianchot had Pinocchio syndrome, his nose would have grown so long he'd have some general making a deal to harvest the lumber.

Edited by geriatrickid

If this government is so ready to use Japanese tourists as a scapegoat against the demonstrators in Bangkok, we farang are a far more obvious group to be blamed for problems. As John Stockwell used to say when a heckler in the audience cried out "You are a Communist," John (a real, former, CIA agent) would say, "Shucks, my check from the KGB is late this month!"

In my petty, little street level joint I see at least as many Japanese/Korean/Chinese patrons as ever before... I' think you've hit the nail right on the center.

I have a little suggestion for those tourists afraid of peaceful demonstrators !

Burma is open to them, there peaceful demonstrations are not allowed, and former peaceful demonstrators are either dead or in jail ... nothing to bother :o

From TAT...which has its own sub-department titled: Statistics To Match Any Scenario Desired

I agree.Peaceful protests are unlikely to scare away tourists, in any case on a limited scale and a very specific location.Personally I would be more concerned about visiting a country where such demonstrations were not permitted.Even the more disturbing episodes, such as that in 1992, didn't make much of an impact on arrival figures.

I'm afraid you may be right. Whether it is "hard" or not I don't know, but they want to build up public opinion against the PAD using the oldest trick in the book i.e. pretending the protesters are hurting the economy. Get Somchai Public to think that their livelihood is at risk so there is no public sympathy when the mobs are sent in to disperse the protesters. Happens regularly in Thailand with governments that care more for their own survival than the national interest. Not unlike Burma in that sense. :o

It was shown today on tv today or last evening that policemen have rigged traffic lights to create chaos and congestion around PAD protests.

The Japanese don`t come back because of the filth, as in lying government spokesmen, the crimes and plastic bag/condom strewn beaches.

It could just be that there are more choices for Japanese tourists in the region these days with places like Vietnam and Cambodia becoming relatively more popular.

Still it does seem that there are record numbers of Russians visiting. It is probably worth looking at tourism as a whole rather than just the fall in one group, and trying to score a cheap politcal point.

80 per cent of tourists from Japan disappear because of protests: Govt spokesman

BANGKOK: -- Government Spokesman Wichianchot Sukchotrat Saturday blamed the protests led by the People's Alliance for Democracy for the disappearance by some 80 per cent of tourists from Japan.

He said the disappearance by tourists also affected the aviation industry.

The spokesman said the government was trying to negotiate with the protesters to move to another site because the protests had severely affected the country and affected many other people's rights.

-- The Nation 2008-06-07

Living in Japan and a true love of Thailand as well as yearly 2-3x frequent tourist over the past 3 decades, I would say the feeling in Japan is travel to is based on a weak yen and strong baht.

Thailand is a great country with a wonderful culture, food, people etc. Japanese are taking shorter flights to Korea for 2-3 days or Shanghai for shopping.

When the yen strengthens you will see more Japanese return!

One thing for sure it certainly more expensive to visit here then it a few years back. Well maybe they are getting what they wanted the upscale money folks, simply not as many of them as the run of mill garden variety tourist.