Los Murder Rate 5 To 10 Times Higher Than W. Europe

Pepe'

Probably taken from old nationmaster data that hasn't been updated in quite a few years: Nationmaster per capita murder rates . Please be sure to scroll down to the bottom and note the source:

SOURCE: Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

Probably taken from old nationmaster data that hasn't been updated in quite a few years: Nationmaster per capita murder rates . Please be sure to scroll down to the bottom and note the source:
SOURCE: Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

Thailand worse than USA? Say it isn't so. I think we need a listing of murder by firearms. That might put the USA back on top again.

Besides, murder by insurgents is still murder isn't it?

This topic has come up so many times already. Is there a link which shows murder rates in major cities across the world? That might be interesting.

As an aside the Tenth United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (2005 - 2006) closed for submissions in Jan 2008, the data above is from the seventh. Therefore official coordinated statistics are at least 2 years behind actuality.

Regards

PS Forgot to mention that Thailand did not contribute data to the Eighth or Ninth survey, wonder why

Edited by A_Traveller

According to Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count..._by_murder_rate ) the latest (way back in 2000) reported murder rate for Thailand was 8.47 per 100,000 inhabitants. In 2006 the corresponding number for Russia was 16.5, for USA 5.7, for Spain 3.35 and for UK 2.03. In Brazil the figure was 27, in South Africa it was 40.5 and in El Salvador 55.3!!!

I guess that, like in so many other cases, Thailand is not that good, but still a LOT better than some other places :o

/ Priceless

According to a high-ranking police source i interviewed not so long back, the murder stats made avilable in Thailand also include those charged with murder but not yet found guilty. There are no actual stats available to the precise amount of murders in Thailand.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Not sure how that makes much difference; or is the officer perhaps trying to say the people dead may not have been murdered? Like those with hands tied behind there backs who manage to shoot themselves multiple times which are termed suicide?

Thailand worse than USA? Say it isn't so. I think we need a listing of murder by firearms. That might put the USA back on top again.

Ah possibly, but then 'death by condo block lobby' puts Thailand back to the top :o:D

Not sure how that makes much difference; or is the officer perhaps trying to say the people dead may not have been murdered? Like those with hands tied behind there backs who manage to shoot themselves multiple times which are termed suicide?

The practice isn't that odd. Many cities in the USA & Canada release crime statistics with inflated "solved" numbers as they consider the arrest not the conviction to classify a crime as "solved". Sad but true. (Not saying it's right, but it is common practice.)

Thailand has a population of 65Million, the USA. has a population of 300 Million the last I checked ( a few years ago). The US keeps records, Thailand doesn't and it easily suppresses whatever they don't want you to know. So who can tell?

From what my police source mentioned, it really does matter. He explained that the police originally charge anyone who kills someone - with murder ie.. if you were to run over someone tomorrow, the police would automatically press charges of 'murder'. It is then your responsibility to prove it was manslaughter. That said therefore, those stats for 'Murders in Thailand' also include Manslaughter. And with the amount of people who get run over in Thailand, that therefore, could answer the first question posed. Apologies for not making it cleaer in the first post.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Thailand has a population of 65Million, the USA. has a population of 300 Million the last I checked ( a few years ago). The US keeps records, Thailand doesn't and it easily suppresses whatever they don't want you to know. So who can tell?

Excuse me, but what has this got to do with the per capita murder rate :o

/ Priceless

/ Priceless

Population densities, perhaps????

murderers in the U.S. have more capital :D

Lets face it,if you behave correctly,& choose your hangouts in los carefully,the chances of you getting bumped off are slim,unless its yaa baa related.

In the uk there are alot of areas,where if you go out for a pint one night,its probably just aswell to ask for the punch in the face before you order the drink so as to get it out of the way. :o:D

I suppose my point is that i feel safer going out in los than the uk.

Someone is killed by another person and it's classified as murder? I'm sure the family of the murdered victim mowed down by Mooham last year will agree 100% with that. :o Unfortunately, other "Moohams" are out there and are never included in any stat here.