Publishing A Notice In Newspaper

After 1 July I understand that private companies will be required to publish a notice in a local paper at least 7 days prior to convening a shareholder meeting.

Does anyone know what the approximate cost of this is? Does it matter which newspaper is used (for example, can an English language notice be published in a Thai newspaper if it's cheaper)?

Many thanks, Misty

Well, huh. I wonder why that is. Since you know this law, surely the law or a lawyer can tell you if it matters whether the notice is in Thai or English. If it doesn't matter, check out the prices of Thai dailies such as the Manager or Thai Rath. Or, you can write to the Bangkok Post and check their prices. The Bangkok Post has a very efficient classifieds department and responds quickly to email. Can't promise the same for the Nation.

I remember reading something about this new regulation late last year. I think the wording was such that the only requirement was the newspaper must be registered and published in Thailand. There was no mention of language. I believe there is specific information that does need to be included in the notice. I will try to find that information again and post here.

In the UK public notices, of which this is a type, command premium rates. Newspaper publishers know they are a legal requirement and charge accordingly. I am not sure whether the newspaper here will do the same, but if they do it will be much welcome income in tough times.

I remember reading something about this new regulation late last year. I think the wording was such that the only requirement was the newspaper must be registered and published in Thailand. There was no mention of language. I believe there is specific information that does need to be included in the notice. I will try to find that information again and post here.

In the UK public notices, of which this is a type, command premium rates. Newspaper publishers know they are a legal requirement and charge accordingly. I am not sure whether the newspaper here will do the same, but if they do it will be much welcome income in tough times.

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your thoughts. Will look into the most cost effective way to meet this latest requirement--perhaps that would be posting English notices in Thai newspapers (if that combination is possible).

For an "SME" with limited resources, the aim is to spend as little time and money on this latest new requirement as possible, especially in light of all the other requirements & admin costs that have been added to SMEs with foreign employees over the past 1 1/2 years or so. Unfortunately, for a company with 3 shareholders that are also employees, the requirement to publish a public announcement of shareholder meetings to me seems like just another pointless extra cost. Particularly so as one shareholder does not read English, and one does not read Thai.

Cheers, Misty