Gas Leak In Rayong Injures 52

george

We are in close neighborhood of the plant, but can't get more information. I could not hear any alarm sirens (which is strange!).

The only thing I could find is the cited article from The Nation, which is very short.

Edited by moo9

The PTT plant is in Mataphut, in the Rayong province, not in the city of Rayong. It's about 15 km west of the Rayong city limits. I used to live about 2 km from the plant on Namrin Beach, just east of Ban Chang. I'm glad I put some distance between myself and those oil and gas plants.

Total is up to 52 now:

Gas leak at a Rayong factory injures 52

By The Nation

A lethal gas leak at a factory in Rayong province injured more than 50 workers and led to evacuation of some 500 students and teachers of a school nearby.

At least 52 workers of the PTT Phenol Co, Ltd in Hemmarat Industrial Estate in the province's Muang district suffered from various illness, include vomiting, sudden headache and blurry vision. Ten workers were in serious condition, hospital staff said.

The students and teachers of Mabchaloot school were evacuated to office of Mabtaphut municipality. They were all safe.

At first, officials were unclear what kind of gas had leaked.

Sumetha Wichienphet, an emergency rescue operation chief of Pollution Control Department said that the gas that leaked is benzene that can cause cancer but its danger is less than phenol.

Earlier Sumetha said it was still unclear which gas had leaked.

"We have to have rescue team to go into the factory to find out which kind of gas had leaked. If it is phenol, it will be dangerous because it is poisonous," he said.

Officials from the department will also inspect the nearby areas including water sources to examine whether they were contaminated by the gas or not, he said.

Source: The Nation

52 workers suffer illness due to gas leak in central Thailand

www.chinaview.cn 2008-06-10 16:43:08

BANGKOK, June 10 (Xinhua) -- At least 52 workers of a factory in Thailand's central province of Rayong suffered from various illness after a lethal gas leak incident on Tuesday, local report said.

The PTT Phenol Co, Ltd in Hemmarat Industrial Estate in Rayong's Muang district, prompted authorities to evacuate people living near the area after the leak.

At first, officials were unclear what kind of gas had leaked. However, an emergency rescue operation chief of Pollution Control Department said that the gas that leaked is benzene that can cause cancer.

Local news network The Nation said a total of 52 workers of the factory suffered from various illness, include vomiting, sudden headache and blurry vision. Among them, 10 workers were in serious condition.

The students and teachers of a nearby school were evacuated, the report said.

The situation was under control not long after the leakage. The cause of the incident is under investigation.

Officials from related departments will inspect the nearby areas including water sources to examine whether they were contaminated by the gas or not.

Editor: Du Guodong

Source: Xinhua

Our work office is close to this plant. The reports I heard yesterday about this leak was that it was Phenol, a very toxic substance. Luckily, immediately after the release, heavy rains dampened the cloud of gas...

Phenol is not an inflammable (moderate) or explosive gas, fortunately, or there might have been a lot more problems.

Reports and rumours are seeping out (sic) that indicate gross negligence on the part of the main contractor. :o

Edited by kmart

"...that indicate gross negligence on the part of the main contractor."

As expected really.

In fairness, most of the new projects and PTT constructions around Maptaphut seem to be of a high construction and safety standard. This is just as well, seeing as their is a lot of potentially very dangerous plant being built. :o

Although there is a lot of counterfeit and fake plant / equipment coming in from China. This is where a lot of main contractor companies make money on a project.... :D

As expected really.

In fairness, most of the new projects and PTT constructions around Maptaphut seem to be of a high construction and safety standard. This is just as well, seeing as their is a lot of potentially very dangerous plant being built. :o

Although there is a lot of counterfeit and fake plant / equipment coming in from China. This is where a lot of main contractor companies make money on a project.... :D

tawp what have you got to say in regard to the gas explosion in australia(karratha wa) where it has put thousands out of work lucky no lifes were lost but it was just luck

As expected really.

tawp what have you got to say in regard to the gas explosion in australia(karratha wa) where it has put thousands out of work lucky no lifes were lost but it was just luck

When I live there I will care.