Widescreen Lcd Monitors

Upcountry

I am thinking of buying the Sony 26" TV to use as a monitor at about 18000thb in Power Buy Rayong, it has all the inputs, HDMI which it has can be connected to DVI with adaptor and most importantly it does not have a 'TN' panel which almost all 22inch displays have and is the most basic panel you can get. Basically low quality as panels go.

Not so long ago this TV would have been over 30,000thb.

I am thinking of buying the Sony 26" TV to use as a monitor at about 18000thb in Power Buy Rayong, it has all the inputs, HDMI which it has can be connected to DVI with adaptor and most importantly it does not have a 'TN' panel which almost all 22inch displays have and is the most basic panel you can get. Basically low quality as panels go.

Not so long ago this TV would have been over 30,000thb.

You're thinking of using it as a monitor for normal PC type work? 1366x768 on a 26" screen would give me a migraine in seconds trying to read text on it from a normal desktop monitor distance.

Question: is a high resolution capable TV the same as a using a monitor on a PC if they're both LCD?

Someone had a thread recently about Tesco offering a 20k Bt TV for 10k Bt - could you use a PC on that? I know you need high res for a PC but do hi-def TV's cut the mustard?

Question: is a high resolution capable TV the same as a using a monitor on a PC if they're both LCD?

Someone had a thread recently about Tesco offering a 20k Bt TV for 10k Bt - could you use a PC on that? I know you need high res for a PC but do hi-def TV's cut the mustard?

As reported, the TCL offered at Tesco only supported 640 x 480 over the VGA connection ... don't remember if you use it over HDMI/DVI.

I have a two monitor setup .... one is a Samsung Syncmaster 22 inch and the other one is my 40 inch Samsung Full HD TV ... DVI + DVI/HDMI

Setting it up was a breeze with my XFX Geforce 8800GTS .... you can use all of the options which commonly go with a two monitor setup (dual view, clone). You can set the resolution independently (One is 1680x10, the other 1920x1080) Yes, I would say using a HDTV is the same as using a LCD screen.

If the two monitors are separate (either by location or direction) a wireless mouse/keyboard is a welcome gadget ...

Edited by sniffdog

Yes, I would say using a HDTV is the same as using a LCD screen.

You're just going to confuse him. You have a Full HD set with a resolution twice that of a 720p set. Apples and oranges when it comes to using a TV as a monitor, just 1 - 2 feet from your eyes. Think about it. 1280x720 might look good on monitors ranging from 15" - 17", but do you really think it can scale all the way up to 26" and still be as sharp when looking at small text? Best way to decide is to hook a laptop up to the 26" TV in question, get up close to it, about 2 ft, and see if it's useable without your eyes bugging out.

Edited by surface

• 3 months later...

Since I see the thread has been bumped - two (?) or so months ago 24" HD LCDs finally arrived in Thailand, got an Acer for 14,900. It's great. 24" and 1920x1200. DVI, HDMI, 5ms response, pretty good but not perfect viewing angles.

The HP 24" is slightly better according to reviews, but when I bought it it wasn't yet available. Costs pretty much the same, or 1000 or so more.

Just don't buy and Acer LCD. We blew up a couple, I took a look yesterday and they have nasty ghosting images after being 'fixed'. We bought a few Samsung LCDs instead (various models) and they are gorgeous. Staff love them (including me).

Well I have an Acer AL2216W and I am very pleased with it.

I belive the dell Monitors are very highly rated for Gamers, but not sure if the better ones are available here, I think dell is opening some POS shops here towards the end of the year so that may be interesting.

regards

Freddie