Englishman Dies Following Fall From 3rd Floor Apartment

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya One News: June 11th 2008

English man dies following fall from 3rd floor apartment.

On Wednesday Morning, Pattaya Police were called to a Hotel in Soi Beokeow, Central Pattaya to investigate reports of a possible suicide. At the scene, officers inspected the body of Mr. Roy Norton aged 75 from Exeter, England.

He was lying at the base of the building and had apparently fallen from his 3rd floor apartment. Mr. Norton was known to have stayed at the location for approximately seven years according to Khun Jamnong, who works at the Hotel. It is also known that last month he was involved in Divorce proceedings with his wife in England. Police have not ruled our third-party involvement in his death at this time; however they tell us that this was most likely a suicide.

The body of Mr. Norton has now been sent to the Morgue and the British Embassy in Bangkok is now informing relatives of Mr. Norton of his passing.

They immediately assume suicide - was there a note?

Would a suicide verdict over accident not have an adverse effect on any insurance claims made by any family - not just this case but all the others they class as suicide when they might have been accidents with or without booze involved?

BiB as an anology for the Thai incompetence?

Seventy five year old man divorcing his British wife commits Pattaya suicide? Maybe he thought he'd get a sizeable chunk out of the joint assets only to find even 50% is a dream. He then realises what a tw@t he has been, no money, burnt bridges and decides to take the quick exit.

Scenario #2. As above except that he has a sober/drunken arguement with his tilac over money, or the lack of it, during which there is a bit of physical contact, he slips on the floor and over the balconey he goes.

Scenario #3. He gets his share from the divorce, brings the money over and deposits it in his tilac's account, decides to have a celebratory drink after which goes to look over the city of (his) dreams and "slips/trips" over the balcony.

These things happen. Suicide is a self clean up incident requiring no police effort save for the form filling. Finding the truth requires detective work and the word "work" is an anathema to the BiB.

RIP

These things happen. Suicide is a self clean up incident requiring no police effort save for the form filling. Finding the truth requires detective work and the word "work" is an anathema to the BiB.

RIP

Problem is that it seems to happen so often here (farangs and Thais), that the BiB have probably gotten to the point that anything that even slightly resembles a suicide, probably is.

As you said, much less paperwork involved.

I wonder about the autopsies and if they ever make a determination that someones death wasn't a suicide ? It doesn't seem to happen very often (at least not that I've heard). Would the police be obligated to try and do an investigation ?

Most likely it would be far too late to do a proper investigation by then, as any crucial crime scene evidence would be long gone.

Could be the guy was just drunk as a skunk to. Lived here 7 years and was just now getting a divorce ? (Initiated by who, him or the wife back home ?)

One more for the lads at the pub to shake their heads over.

Good point Kerryd. Whenever I see or read about foreign deaths in Pattaya they always seem to state that there bodies are taken for 'autopsy' to determine the cause of death. Do they do this as standard practise for all deceased foreigners? Surely if someone is found splattered on the pavement following a big fall from a balcony, the cause of death is widely known?, or is it only when they suspect foul play?

Roy was one of my best friends in Pattaya. He had NOT just gone through divorce proceedings - he divorced over 25 years ago. He drank, but not to excess, and enjoyed the bars and all that Pattaya has to offer. He was also a well respected member of our quiz team. He had no money troubles, and used to spend 3 months in Pattaya and then 3 months back at home in his beloved Cornwall, in fact he only got back to Pattaya a week ago. He has a son and daughter and grandchildren, who he loved very much. One of the nicest people you could wish to meet. I know for a fact that he was looking forward to watching the Olympics later this year, and was going back to the UK to watch it. He had even bought a new HD TV for the event.

His friends are all stunned, and cannot understand why he would wish to take his life. A better report of the tragedy can be found at http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000006270

I raise a glass in tribute to him.

Roy was one of my best friends in Pattaya. He had NOT just gone through divorce proceedings - he divorced over 25 years ago. He drank, but not to excess, and enjoyed the bars and all that Pattaya has to offer. He was also a well respected member of our quiz team. He had no money troubles, and used to spend 3 months in Pattaya and then 3 months back at home in his beloved Cornwall, in fact he only got back to Pattaya a week ago. He has a son and daughter and grandchildren, who he loved very much. One of the nicest people you could wish to meet. I know for a fact that he was looking forward to watching the Olympics later this year, and was going back to the UK to watch it. He had even bought a new HD TV for the event.

His friends are all stunned, and cannot understand why he would wish to take his life. A better report of the tragedy can be found at http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000006270

Any potential cynics please take note and show a bit of respect when posting.

May you RIP Roy

marshbags

I cannot believe this either!!! He also was a friend and often a member of our darts team in Pattaya. A lovely man and a true gentleman, it is inconceivable that he would want to kill himself .

All the above is from Eyebee 100% true ! Everyone liked him. Why would he do this???????????

I am stunned at this awful news

RIP Roy ............................

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to commit suicide by jumping from a 3rd floor. There's too much risk of ending up seriously injured instead of dead.

A skilled diver would know how to make sure he lands head first into the pavement.

And I assure you, if someone takes a dive straight down head first onto the pavement from three stories up, they'll die one million times in one million attempts.

I remember a few years ago a beer bar owner chose the same method of suicide from a second floor balcony, not the third.

Just shows up very clearly the quality of the local press in Pattaya. From what you say the suicide verdict looks dodgy to say the least.

I didn't know the man but from your description he seems a nice guy, one of the few, and a loss to all who knew him

RIP, and I'll raise a glass tonight to an unknown (to me) gentleman.

A skilled diver would know how to make sure he lands head first into the pavement.

??????? how do you become skilled at hitting concrete/tar with your head??????

RIP

Sorry, I thought this was obvious and needed no explanation.

If a person can dive through the air downward into water head first, then they can do the same onto anything that is not water, including pavement.

All that matters is that the air above that anything remains the same kind of air, which it is pretty much around the world, save the odd tornado or hurricane.

I hope that answers your question satisfactorily.

Edited by MisterFingers

Does anybody know how many farangs die here in Pattaya yearly? Most be an average of 2 a day, i think!

Nowhere near that, even if you include all the accidents, suicides, natural causes and murders, for all (foreign) nationalities. An average of 2 per day would equal 730 farangs per year in Pattaya.

I just did a quick review of the last 3 1/2 months of (Pattaya) News Clippings and came up with a total of 19 deaths, for an average of 1 every 6 days (approx) which would equal (approx) 61 per year from all causes.

For a city the size of Pattaya (the "greater" Pattaya area), with the amount of tourists and long-stay residents, and the way some people live, I don't think those stats are too out of line. Might be a different story if you added all the Thai deaths from various causes into the equation.

Attributed to Natural Causes - 4 (including 1 to cancer, and a 72 y.o. Irishman that was swimming in a pool, experienced difficulties (heart attack ?) and drowned)

Attributed to Accidents - 5 (Jet ski -1, Moto - 3, domestic accident in home - 1)

Attributed to Suicide - 7 (of course, some suspect these weren't all committed without extra "assistance")

Attributed to Murder - 3 (I included the 2 Korean sisters that were found dead on the island, tied together and supposedly drowned in a double suicide)

Nationalities ? Across the globe (UK- 6, Germany - 3, Korea - 2, Canada/Finland/Russia/Estonia/India/Italy/Austria/Australia - 1 each)

15 Males, 4 Females.

Youngest - 26 (Jet Ski accident). Oldest - 75. Average age - 51.

Enough morbidity for now.

Not that it matters much, but those numbers only include the deaths in which police were called to the scene.

They don't include the cases in which people died at the hospital without police being called (i.e., natural causes, diseases,..).

Since hospital deaths happen more often than "body discoveries", with the person usually getting sick before dying, this might bump the natural causes up to about 10-20.

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to commit suicide by jumping from a 3rd floor. There's too much risk of ending up seriously injured instead of dead.

And I assure you, if someone takes a dive straight down head first onto the pavement from three stories up, they'll die one million times in one million attempts.

I remember a few years ago a beer bar owner chose the same method of suicide from a second floor balcony, not the third.

Thank you for explaining that, however, why would you assume that this gentleman is a skilled diver, and even if he was, would a suicidal (and possibly drunk) skilled diver have the presence of mind to ensure head first contact with the ground.

Apart from the aforementioned, not many people could dive that distance while maintaining a perfect verticle head first posture. Diving boards aren't usually that high.

Thank you for explaining that, however, why would you assume that this gentleman is a skilled diver, and even if he was, would a suicidal (and possibly drunk) skilled diver have the presence of mind to ensure head first contact with the ground.

Apart from the aforementioned, not many people could dive that distance while maintaining a perfect verticle head first posture. Diving boards aren't usually that high.

I didn't assume he was, just supposed that he might be, given his method of suicide.

And a perfect vertical head first posture doesn't have to be maintained to hit head first. With a person's hands at their sides and body straight, anything that is not horizontal or angled feet first, is angled head first. And even horizontal (or a slight feet first angle) can be almost considered head first because the body wouldn't absorb the blow before the head hits the ground.

Someone who has dove in the water from any height, can pretty much make sure they are closer to upside down and right side up from about six metres up (trust me on this one).

Even someone who doesn't know how to dive might be able to do this instinctively.

Edited by MisterFingers

I didn't assume he was, just supposed that he might be, given his method of suicide.

And a perfect vertical head first posture doesn't have to be maintained to hit head first. With a person's hands at their sides and body straight, anything that is not horizontal or angled feet first, is angled head first. And even horizontal (or a slight feet first angle) can be almost considered head first because the body wouldn't absorb the blow before the head hits the ground.

You won't give on this matter will you? :o

People don't dive instinctively head first with their hands at their sides, but always hands first. I suspect that anyone diving from a building would probably lead with their hands instinctively. This will absorb some of the impact.

I'm merely indicating that anyone jumping (you're the one who is talking about diving) from the 3rd floor of a building COULD end up seriously injured and not dead. It also makes a difference if they are counting the ground floor as floor 1 as they do in the US which could mean 3 meters or so less to fall.

This sounds a little strange to me, An old man, 75 years of age, Not really that long left of his natural life i'd say, Jumps off a 3 story balcony or whatever... Sorry but he sounded like he had people that cared about him a great deal and he had a lot to live for, Somehow this seems very strange, Foul play i'd say. With the replies from 2 of his friends from Pattaya it shows he was a gentleman, A nice person and had good friends, He had family that he loved (Son , Daughter and grandkids!). This act of suicide does not conform with the state of mind of an suicide victem, Non of his friends have mentioned he was acting depressed or irate / stressed by something. As you get older i expect that you apreciate life more as you know your life is coming to a end sooner rather then then later, Why would you kill yourself? There is no reason, Did this chap keep all his feelings to himself? Did he not talk to anyone? I think you would take more care and live life "more" to enjoy what time you have left, That's how i see it, I'm not old so i'm just goin on ideas in my head so don't quote me on that.

Poor chap, RIP Roy Norton. :o

A man dies and most of the threads discuss the does and don'ts of jumping head first or hands first!

SSS

It's a basically a recommendation not to jump from the 3rd floor of a building if suicide is the goal.

This sounds a little strange to me, An old man, 75 years of age, Not really that long left of his natural life i'd say, Jumps off a 3 story balcony or whatever... Sorry but he sounded like he had people that cared about him a great deal and he had a lot to live for, Somehow this seems very strange, Foul play i'd say. With the replies from 2 of his friends from Pattaya it shows he was a gentleman, A nice person and had good friends, He had family that he loved (Son , Daughter and grandkids!). This act of suicide does not conform with the state of mind of an suicide victem, Non of his friends have mentioned he was acting depressed or irate / stressed by something. As you get older i expect that you apreciate life more as you know your life is coming to a end sooner rather then then later, Why would you kill yourself? There is no reason, Did this chap keep all his feelings to himself? Did he not talk to anyone? I think you would take more care and live life "more" to enjoy what time you have left, That's how i see it, I'm not old so i'm just goin on ideas in my head so don't quote me on that.

Poor chap, RIP Roy Norton. :o

Well said buddy, spot on,.

The third floor is plenty high enough to ensure death is the most likely outcome. Recently here there was a case of a 16yr old boy testing out his friends electric scooter in a car park. The scooter had a top speed of 20Km/hr. He was not wearing a helmet. When he attempted a turn he fell off and hit his head on the concrete, and died in hospital some hours later. At a normal acceleration rate of 9.8m/s^2 even after one floor you're already going way faster than 30km/hr which is plenty fast enough. Have a look on youtube for mythbusters episodes involving "Buster" falling, and accelerometers.

Btw in Papua New Guinea the "traditional" method of suicide for young maidens who have been "shamed" is to climb a coconut tree to the top and then let go. You don't get many coconut trees taller than 9 or 10 meters, do you?

Edited by Merlin