How To Transfer $baht Out Of Thailand To Us?

Scarlett

There are signs up advertising Western Union at some banks,

tell him to go in and see what they offer.

Western Union is effective but it is also the most expensive way by far. I think their service averages roughly 7%, plus what you will lose in the exchange rate (another few percent or more). The net hit is about 10%.

With Western Union, you are paying for ready availability (i.e., many convenient locations) and minimum time delay (near real time processing). And the premium is a hefty one.

If someone does not need these two things, then there is no need to pay for them. There are more economical ways.

I had a similar (not of the 300,000 THB variety!) issue earlier this year. I spoke to Western Union and they wanted all sorts of paperwork to make it happen - no to mention their high fees as pointed out by another poster.

In the end, I walked into the Bangkok Bank on Silom Road with the cash, headed upstairs - took a number, and sat with a guy for 5 minutes and he did all the paperwork. Their exchange rate was excpetional and the fee was deducted from my cash prior to sending. Easy... :D

There's also a story to why I needed to send the money out... I had a friend come & stay with me & she brought her elderly mother. When they left & got back to Oz she called me in a panic - her mum had lost all her trip money (she's from HK and was in Oz for 3 months - 75,000 THB!!) and couldn't remember where she last had it! So I searched the guest bedroom and it was hidden under the mattress! She had forgotten she put it there for safe keeping... doh! :o

Good luck.

If you can document bringing the funds into Thailand, you should be able to wire them back out again. Any bank can do this for you. I was helping support a Thai studying abroad, and wired funds out regularly.

If you can't wire them out, open a Thai bank account and have your husband send you the ATM card.

Thanks for your responses. Since I am looking for easy with low fees and low exchange rate, I am going to avoid western union. Someone mentioned Bangkok Bank for exchange.

As it turns out my husband is going to hand carry the money when he joins me in the states but we will still need to change to dollars.

Do all the banks have the same exchange rate and fees, do they vary slightly, and do any have a better exchange rate when changing higher sums???

I know I can locate some answers online through each banks site, but I hoping someone will have the answer handy before I bother with that.

Thanks!