Would You Suggest I Buy Now Or Wait?

Buy on a dip - like right now. A condo at View Talay 1B is about the same as buying a car. It's a fun and easy place to live - or rent it out. Nice place to retire - nice people and huge swimming pool. I rented there before I bought.

With $2,000 a month you will be more than fine. (I'm married so ? )

Like others have said - good idea to rent first to see if it's OK. that's what I did. I got in 2 years ago. I feel so good about it - instead of a new car or something. I retire in about 6 years.

I really doubt the Baht will go any higher than 33.

You could get any of the condo's available at View Talay 1A or 1B - foriegn name for about $30,000 (dreaming) to about $35,000. I bought mine from a French guy using Fair Properties.

Some guys feel it might be a slum - or might go down (something). I like it there and lots of others just like me who own several units. The risk is minimal to me. Originally I was going to buy in Bangkok or Puket. Jumtien is a really nice place overall - and easy to rent out too. Also close to my Mother in Laws place.

I'm the guy who can't save money - so when I had enough to buy - I did it.

Again - as others have said - rent there for a few months first. I rented my unit out for one year as we have our 2nd baby coming. My Thai Wife has given me my Boy - and now a Girl coming soon.

Hey - if you have some cash - and your like me - buy on a dip. I really don't think the dollar will get stronger than 33 anytime soon. I jumped in at 38 per dollar. Who cares - just buy. It's like having a new car - located in Thailand - not much risk.

A free and clear title to your own small condo is a nice thing. Mine is 38 Sq meters. I did rent at View Talay 1 - and sat by the huge pool for a couple months - looking at the contruction etc.. It dosn't look like it's screwed up to me. I've spent about 1.5 years in Thailand so far. It seems so inexpensive - I live in Hawaii.

if the Baht goes higher than 33 - I'll eat my hat. I was used to 40++ - -- but it came from 25 - before 1998. Inflation is more of a reason to buy.

Political uncertinty - resession. Buy on a dip. I believe the baht should be around 28 right now.

However - don't buy a condo to make a profit - not that that's so bad. Buy and hold.

I'll never sell.

Good luck (choke Dee)

IMO, the 3 posts above .. alive555, Gary, quicksilva .. offer the best advice for your situation.

Never buy unless you have lived in the area, preferably for at least 1 year full time. That's how you get to know about things like water shortages, high season traffic, neighborhoods, trends, etc.

Fully agree but add to that tradesmen you can trust, rip offs and learning the general "lie of the land"

I think you are way off on your calculations. If you were living here now it would cost you almost $2000. a month to live for two people. 10 to 15 years later to retire...get real. You will need a lot more to live here than the 2 grand you say you will be getting. Thailand is not a cheap country to live in anymore. You will be one of those people who will quickly hate it here if you try to live on a meager income.

I think you are way off on your calculations. If you were living here now it would cost you almost $2000. a month to live for two people. 10 to 15 years later to retire...get real. You will need a lot more to live here than the 2 grand you say you will be getting. Thailand is not a cheap country to live in anymore. You will be one of those people who will quickly hate it here if you try to live on a meager income.

Where abouts in Thailand do you live mcbride, and could you tell us a little about your lifestyle?

Where abouts in Thailand do you live mcbride, and could you tell us a little about your lifestyle?

I live in Silom/Sathorn area in BKK. Rent is USD1000 for a 1bedroom 55sqm unit. Add another USD1000 for cable TV, electricity, internet, phone, food, transportation(bts, mrt, taxi), minimum shopping and entertainment (absolutely no bar girl companions), eating out at restaurant about 3 times a week. Hence, USD2000 per month to live in BKK.

Edited by Scott123

I live in Silom/Sathorn area in BKK. Rent is USD1000 for a 1bedroom 55sqm unit. Add another USD1000 for cable TV, electricity, internet, phone, food, transportation(bts, mrt, taxi), minimum shopping and entertainment (absolutely no bar girl companions), eating out at restaurant about 3 times a week. Hence, USD2000 per month to live in BKK.

Interesting... and nice to be able to make comparisons. I live in the "allegedly, not cheap" resort of Hua Hin. Rent is USD $300 for my 2 bedroom 100sqm house. Add another $45 for satellite TV, $33 for electric, $38 for 2Mb internet, $20 telephone, $200 food and shopping, $24 petrol, eating out at local restaurants 3 times a week $100. Hence USD $760 (or 25,000 baht) per month to NOT live in Bangkok. And that's for TWO people.

A little side calculation: If inflation runs at an average of 6% (optpmistic?), then in 17 years time $760 worth of living will cost $2000. Another reason to now save some of your cash for later... you're gonna need it!

Edited by Marvo