Cycling Samoeng Loop On A Road Bike Possible?

bigmouse

Did route reccee on a motorbike and found certain streches are rather steep.

1) As above, is cycling the Samoeng loop on a road bike (bicycle) possible?

2) Which direction (clockwise or anti-clockwise) is recommended?

I am an average rider.

Thanks in advance.

Did route reccee on a motorbike and found certain streches are rather steep.

1) As above, is cycling the Samoeng loop on a road bike (bicycle) possible?

2) Which direction (clockwise or anti-clockwise) is recommended?

I am an average rider.

Thanks in advance.

A friend and I did the loop on mountain bikes about 20 years ago. He cycled all the way but I had to push on a couple of the steepest parts. Left about 8 am, went anticlockwise, arriving back around dark. Nice trip. Wish I could still do it now!

CMMCB

Clokwise is the best way to do the loop, But, if you have to ask if you can handle it on a push bike? I would have to say it might be too difficult for the novice rider.

I would think it just dpends how much time you want to spend huffing and puffing...

can you do it: depends;

1) do you have a decent road bike or hybryd (road / mountain) - weight is of the essence. if it is a cheapo peddler for around the town then it will be measurably harder

2) have you done any serious mountain riding - it's not like riding around the ring road (although that's hazardous enough) - if you haven't find something less demanding (there is a nice motor cycle loop that goes up through sankapheng to the hills, loops through some villages to the chiang rai road where you turn left to head back to chiang mai)

3) it is serious stuff on a bike for anyone - try going around on the motorcycle but get off and walk around on some of the really steep stretches - then you feel how REALLY steep they are!

4) are you really fit, I mean really fit - this is a 100km (or thereabouts) distance i believe - the longest i ever did was 100 miles in a day but i was 20 and racing regularly and that was achieveble in those younger days, i did 70km a couple of years back in Singapore which is a flat as a pancake, but given those expereinces i would certainly get into serious training for the LOOP

if you answer anyone of these NO, then think again and get an appropriate bike and lots of training.. It's a long walk back ....... if you could manage to walk.

and - all that said - can it be done, of course it can.......

good luck

can you do it: depends;

1) do you have a decent road bike or hybryd (road / mountain) - weight is of the essence. if it is a cheapo peddler for around the town then it will be measurably harder

2) have you done any serious mountain riding - it's not like riding around the ring road (although that's hazardous enough) - if you haven't find something less demanding (there is a nice motor cycle loop that goes up through sankapheng to the hills, loops through some villages to the chiang rai road where you turn left to head back to chiang mai)

3) it is serious stuff on a bike for anyone - try going around on the motorcycle but get off and walk around on some of the really steep stretches - then you feel how REALLY steep they are!

4) are you really fit, I mean really fit - this is a 100km (or thereabouts) distance i believe - the longest i ever did was 100 miles in a day but i was 20 and racing regularly and that was achieveble in those younger days, i did 70km a couple of years back in Singapore which is a flat as a pancake, but given those expereinces i would certainly get into serious training for the LOOP

if you answer anyone of these NO, then think again and get an appropriate bike and lots of training.. It's a long walk back ....... if you could manage to walk.

and - all that said - can it be done, of course it can.......

good luck

It really is a serious, but incredibly beautiful ride. I made the loop twice in one day on a 400cc Honda Steed and THAT was tiring! I can't even conceive of doing it on a push bike! Exactly 100k from the Super Highway junction of the Mae Rim Road around to the junction of the Canal Road and Huaykaew Road.

I made the run both counter-clockwise and then clockwise just for motorcycle riding practice, but if I were on a bicycle doing this for pleasure there are three absolutes that I would follow;

1. Do it counter-clockwise.... slowly.

2. Plan on doing it as a two day trip. The scenery is magnificent just about every foot of the way once you turn onto the Mae Sa Valley Road, and if you are pressing hard on a pedaled bicycle to get around it in one day, all you will see will be your front tire....

3. Be in good physical shape for this. As a one-day trip it is NOT a ride for the weekend bike rider. The true joy of this ride is NOT reaching the end. The joy is beauty and contentment along the way. Speed isn't an advantage here. Remember, snails were on the ark with the cheetahs.

Thanks all for the valuable inputs. Look like I have to do a lot of serious training before attempting this loop. Anyway, I will do another route recce in clockwise direction.

BTW, at Samoeng town there a major T-juction. Left track leads to a dirt track and right lead to Pai. I did not venture far during my recce so am curious what is downstream of these two track. Any inputs anyone?

Thanks

I've cycled it about 6-7 times and it's a beautiful route. Some great views!!

Clockwise is easier than anti as there is a section where you drop down into a valley with a small village at the bottom about 8km after the Belle Villa resort that is brutal if you are coming the other way!! I think it's about 25% gradient with 7 switchbacks. (Thais sure know how to build roads!!!)

Time-wise it all depends on your fitness, it's pretty much 45km uphill then 45km downhill. I would consider myself a reasonable rider (I race triathlons) and have done it on my road bike in 3 hrs 40 minutes, but that's a full-on see how fast I could do it without stopping to enjoy the views effort.

Take a day to do it, stop for lunch at one of the resorts / restaurants and you'll have a great time!!!!

Edited by Beanster1

I agree with most of the cyclists who've replied here who say it is do-able. I've done it myself 40-50 times. My 40+ year old wife has done it in under 5 hours, including time off the bike for snacks and water.

The difference in deciding whether to go clockwise vs counter-clockwise should be determined by where you are starting from and whether you prefer to do the the steep climbing at the beginning or the end. I've done it both ways but I prefer a long warmup and to do the steep climbing later in the ride. Since I live in Chiang Mai, I find it a little easier going counter-clockwise, north towards Mai Rim first. That gives me 40 minutes of dead-flat riding before the long, steady climbs start. The last climb back towards the Canal Rd near Hang Dong, with the 7 switchbacks, is the steepest with a couple of sections at 16% but it's short -- only 2 km long.

The total length of the loop is only 90 km if you take advantage of all the shortcuts. Total climbing is approximately 4,550 feet. This assumes you are just doing the loop and not heading all the way into Samoeng. Taking the detour into Samoeng will add another 10 km and a substantial amount of climbing on the way back out. For someone's first attempt at the loop, I would advise skipping the village of Samoeng.

If you're an "average rider" as you say, you should definitely try it. You should be able to do it, but may not enjoy it. My suggestion is as follows. On separate rides, try doing the first 30 kms in each direction. Doing it clockwise go to the 16km (from Samoeng) marker. That's the approximately the top of the switchbacks going in that direction. Turn around and go back to CM. Another day head out counter-clockwise and go up to the village beyond the elephant camp, maybe 7 km. Turn around and come back. If you can do those rides and think you can do more, then by all means go out and do the full loop.

In either direction, watch out for the dogs at the police box at the junction for Samoeng.

Keep your head up and enjoy the scenery.

The loop is a great ride, and my GPS shows it to have about 5200 feet of total climbing. I look at it as three big climbs, which you probably figured out! I ride a mountain bike so the gearing is well-suited for the steepest climb with those gnarly switchbacks.

Going into the town of Samoeng proper drops you down about another thousand feet. Not a good place for lunch as you have to climb back out to get back on the loop. There is excellent biking from Samoeng to Pong Kwao Hot Springs if you want to make a long day out of it, or if you stay at a guest house in Samoeng.

If you haven't picked up a GT-Rider Map for the Mae Sa Valley, get one. It shows a lot of side options to explore. Have Fun!

Yeah!!

I did the loop yesterday morning starting from Huay Kaew Rd in clockwise direction. I found the climb more demanding than Phuping palace. I have to give credits to whoever who chose the location and built those rest sheds because those are the points where I began to feel the strain on my legs and heart :o

My humble ride time : 4hr 20mins

Total ride time including rest: ~5hr

Edited by bigmouse

Yeah!!

I did the loop yesterday morning starting from Huay Kaew Rd in clockwise direction. I found the climb more demanding than Phuping palace. I have to give credits to whoever who chose the location and built those rest sheds because those are the points where I began to feel the strain on my legs and heart :o

My son (26 years) and his g/f are coming to visit next week. He's a keen cyclist (did this last weekend: http://www.vaetternrundan.se/default.aspx?lang=1 click "Vätternrundan", then click "The Route") and might want to do the loop. Does anybody know where they could rent a pair of good mountain bikes for such an exercise?

/ Priceless

Yeah!!

Congrats Bigmouse on doing the loop! It's nice this time of year with all the lush green vegetation and clean air. Your time sounds very good so don't fret it.

El Jefe, you should pass along your best times and the fastest you have heard of if it is not yours. That way we can gauge how fast a fit cyclists can ride it. (I don't think El Jefe stops to chat with the hill tribe folks and chew on a few lynchee!) I am just happy to be alive at the end of it!

Yeah!!

Congrats Bigmouse on doing the loop! It's nice this time of year with all the lush green vegetation and clean air. Your time sounds very good so don't fret it.

El Jefe, you should pass along your best times and the fastest you have heard of if it is not yours. That way we can gauge how fast a fit cyclists can ride it. (I don't think El Jefe stops to chat with the hill tribe folks and chew on a few lynchee!) I am just happy to be alive at the end of it!

Kristoff, the Belgian triathlete, said his record best is 3hr 15min. I can believe that since he slowed to wait for me a few times when we did it together in 3hr 24min.

Good job, Bigmouse! Now try it the other direction. I bet you'll take 10 minutes off your time.

• 4 months later...

Im trying to get in shape, and have the Samoeng loop as a goal. Just rode it on my scooter and made notes. Its a beautiful ride!

Did it counter clockwise. Took the canal rd north, turned left after the military area to follow the stream, then turned left and rode past Four Seasons hotel, then left again and past X-center. Followed the road all around the mountain and at the end near Ban Pong there is a small dirt road that lets you cut across to eventually pass close to the Buddha on the hill. The dirt road is marked as a mountain bike trail.

Its exactly 80 km for a full loop according to my scooter trip meter. I made measures of uphill/downhill stretches. 9 km of it is steeply upwards, comparable to the Wat Doi Suthep rd. Another 2 km is extremely steep upwards, probably impossible to pedal. 20 km of it is downhill and effortless.

Last two weeks Ive done three trips over 50km each already, partly flat partly hills, and I feel its not too exhausting.

So I recon Im gonna walk at most 9 + 2 km = 11 km. That leaves me with 80 - 20 - 11 = 49 km of pedaling, which Im already used to. In theory, this should be doable. Would probably take 5 to 6 hours.

Thanks all for the valuable inputs. Look like I have to do a lot of serious training before attempting this loop. Anyway, I will do another route recce in clockwise direction.

BTW, at Samoeng town there a major T-juction. Left track leads to a dirt track and right lead to Pai. I did not venture far during my recce so am curious what is downstream of these two track. Any inputs anyone?

Thanks

Left track goes to Mae Win & it's a toughie. Take a look at the Mae Hong Son loop map & you will see it marked with kms on the map. A real 4WD trail this one too!

Im trying to get in shape, and have the Samoeng loop as a goal. Just rode it on my scooter and made notes. Its a beautiful ride!

Did it counter clockwise. Took the canal rd north, turned left after the military area to follow the stream, then turned left and rode past Four Seasons hotel, then left again and past X-center. Followed the road all around the mountain and at the end near Ban Pong there is a small dirt road that lets you cut across to eventually pass close to the Buddha on the hill. The dirt road is marked as a mountain bike trail.

Its exactly 80 km for a full loop according to my scooter trip meter. I made measures of uphill/downhill stretches. 9 km of it is steeply upwards, comparable to the Wat Doi Suthep rd. Another 2 km is extremely steep upwards, probably impossible to pedal. 20 km of it is downhill and effortless.

Last two weeks Ive done three trips over 50km each already, partly flat partly hills, and I feel its not too exhausting.

So I recon Im gonna walk at most 9 + 2 km = 11 km. That leaves me with 80 - 20 - 11 = 49 km of pedaling, which Im already used to. In theory, this should be doable. Would probably take 5 to 6 hours.

That track into Mae Win is not one of the "shortcuts" I've ever used. I've only done it on a roadbike and it's impossible to do the loop in under 90km while staying on pavement the whole time. And it's much more than 11km of climbing if you stay on the pavement.

(The biggest shortcut is as follows:

After making the left turn off the Military Rd in Mae Rim, go a little over a km and make a left turn onto the first real road, before the For Seasons. That road will end at the Mae Sa Valley Rd, just where it starts the long climb up to the elephant camp. This save 3 or 4 kms.)

Your problem is that pushing a bike up a 11kms of mountains will take well over 2 hours. The off-road section will probably be slow going too. I really think you should try it since you think you can do it and that's half the battle, but I think you've substantially under-estimated the time requirement if you have to walk for 11km.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Edited by el jefe

That track into Mae Win is not one of the "shortcuts" I've ever used. I've only done it on a roadbike and it's impossible to do the loop in under 90km while staying on pavement the whole time. And it's much more than 11km of climbing if you stay on the pavement.

Thanks for the reply.

That short cut saves you 6 km, and the dirt road part of it is only 1 km. But of course you'll have to walk the dirt if you have a road bike, and in this weather it could be pretty muddy.

BTW do you take left after the gas station leading you to the Night Safari? That doesnt save you much, but is way more nice than the canal rd. You can even continue left at the Flower festival round-about and ride through a small community to end up at the ostrich farm on the canal rd.

I didnt count slight inclinations only steep inclinations that I would have a hard time pedaling. I would say that more than 50% of the loop is flat (from Ban Pong to Mae Sa Waterfall, and several smaller passages after). But having said that, the climbs look like a bitch to do!

(The biggest shortcut is as follows:

After making the left turn off the Military Rd in Mae Rim, go a little over a km and make a left turn onto the first real road, before the For Seasons. That road will end at the Mae Sa Valley Rd, just where it starts the long climb up to the elephant camp. This save 3 or 4 kms.)

Please check the picture attachment. Did I get it right? Looks like a good one, but less than a 3km save.

Your problem is that pushing a bike up a 11kms of mountains will take well over 2 hours. The off-road section will probably be slow going too. I really think you should try it since you think you can do it and that's half the battle, but I think you've substantially under-estimated the time requirement if you have to walk for 11km.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks. Im not worried about the off road part, thats just 1km. But its a bit intimidating to think about walking up to Wat Doi Suthep (also around 11km) AND then pedal more than 50km. But if I have a whole day to do it I'll be ok. My willpower is stronger than my body can handle. Dunno if thats good or bad.

I'll keep you posted. BTW, is there a place on the web to share bike tracks for the Chiang Mai area? I'll be happy to contribute, and I would be interested to see other rider's tracks. Maybe I should just start a thread here at thaivisa and post the tracks I normally use?

post-67849-1225016343_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just did the Samoeng loop. Started near Wat Umong (south of the university) and did it counter clockwise.

It took me 5 hours 38 minutes, including breaks of totally 25 minutes. I walked in total around 4 km.

I reached as far as Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden without touching feet to the ground, which is a great victory for my weak body. The uphill stretch leading to the scenic view point was really rough, walked most of it. The seven switchbacks right after Mae Khaim Nua was pure hel_l, and I was walking the whole thing, cursing in the sun. The hard work paid off with the great ride downhill right after.

Cant say this loop is popular. This is Saturday and I only met one cyclist.

I had planned to eat something light along the way, but strangely enough I wasnt that hungry. I consumed 5 liters of water and two power bars. I think I under-ate and will try to feed better next time, to get more energy.

Was in surprisingly good spirit and body didnt feel too bad when I got home.

Another step closer to getting in shape. Im gonna do this loop as often as I can, and try to shave off time, and pedal more stretches instead of walking.

Edited by SnareBear

Just did the Samoeng loop. Started near Wat Umong (south of the university) and did it counter clockwise.

It took me 5 hours 38 minutes, including breaks of totally 25 minutes. I walked in total around 4 km.

I reached as far as Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden without touching feet to the ground, which is a great victory for my weak body. The uphill stretch leading to the scenic view point was really rough, walked most of it. The seven switchbacks right after Mae Khaim Nua was pure hel_l, and I was walking the whole thing, cursing in the sun. The hard work paid off with the great ride downhill right after.

Cant say this loop is popular. This is Saturday and I only met one cyclist.

I had planned to eat something light along the way, but strangely enough I wasnt that hungry. I consumed 5 liters of water and two power bars. I think I under-ate and will try to feed better next time, to get more energy.

Was in surprisingly good spirit and body didnt feel too bad when I got home.

Another step closer to getting in shape. Im gonna do this loop as often as I can, and try to shave off time, and pedal more stretches instead of walking.

Congratulations, It's a tough ride, especially the 7 switchbacks!!!

Out of interest, where do you get the powerbars in Chiang Mai.

Cheers,

Beanster

Yeah!!

My son (26 years) and his g/f are coming to visit next week. He's a keen cyclist (did this last weekend: http://www.vaetternrundan.se/default.aspx?lang=1 click "Vätternrundan", then click "The Route") and might want to do the loop. Does anybody know where they could rent a pair of good mountain bikes for such an exercise?

/ Priceless

Cacti bike Mr. Sak (google)

Congratulations, It's a tough ride, especially the 7 switchbacks!!!

Out of interest, where do you get the powerbars in Chiang Mai.

Cheers,

Beanster

Thanks Beanster1!

Its not real power bars you can get in a gym, theyre called "Hahne Yumbar". Cereal, nuts and malt syrup. You can buy them at Tesco Lotus Hand Dong rd in the cereal/musli section. Theyre tasty, but perhaps not optimum for a workout (not a lot of calories and mostly slow sugars).

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

If you are looking for an interesting diversion from the Sameong Loop, try the 40 km loop past the Hmong Lodge. From CM and back, it ends up being about 90 km and a few hundred feet more climbing than the Sameong loop. To get there from Mae Rim, go up the Mae Sa Valley highway past the X-Center and Monkey Center on the left. Look for the signs for the Hmong Lodge and SuanSawan Resort on the right side, just before a gas station. Take that road and keep climbing. When you get to a "Y" just past the Hmong Lodge, take the less inviting and rough LEFT track up the hill. It will take you through several terraced farming projects up to 1300 meters MSL, through two hill tribe villages, and past a Royal Project, and then back to the Mae Sa Valley Road.

This is one of the most interesting rides you can do out of Chiang Mai, and it is also enjoyable with a motorcycle or car. Here are some photos of the scenery and of the ride climb/descent profile. Three TV members cycled the loop just last week and it was a lot of fun. (Sendbaht started late and humped to catch us, which he did!) You get a real perspective for farming in Thailand from this area. There are some gravel sections and lots of pot holes, so a mountain bike is a better choice than a road bike.

post-498-1247484508_thumb.jpg post-498-1247484533_thumb.jpg

post-498-1247484556_thumb.jpg post-498-1247484622_thumb.jpg

If you are looking for an interesting diversion from the Sameong Loop, try the 40 km loop past the Hmong Lodge. From CM and back, it ends up being about 90 km and a few hundred feet more climbing than the Sameong loop. To get there from Mae Rim, go up the Mae Sa Valley highway past the X-Center and Monkey Center on the left. Look for the signs for the Hmong Lodge and SuanSawan Resort on the right side, just before a gas station. Take that road and keep climbing. When you get to a "Y" just past the Hmong Lodge, take the less inviting and rough LEFT track up the hill. It will take you through several terraced farming projects up to 1300 meters MSL, through two hill tribe villages, and past a Royal Project, and then back to the Mae Sa Valley Road.

This is one of the most interesting rides you can do out of Chiang Mai, and it is also enjoyable with a motorcycle or car. Here are some photos of the scenery and of the ride climb/descent profile. Three TV members cycled the loop just last week and it was a lot of fun. (Sendbaht started late and humped to catch us, which he did!) You get a real perspective for farming in Thailand from this area. There are some gravel sections and lots of pot holes, so a mountain bike is a better choice than a road bike.

IMO this is one of the best routes in the area for cycling. Great scenery. Good mix of inclines. Hardly any traffic and noxious air. I have tried a number of the side roads that intersect and very nice riding. The side roads would require a MTB or at least burly cyclocross setup.

happy trails.

I rented a decent mountain bike from 'Mr Beer' along Ratvithi Road, inside the moat (just after the Ratvithi Soi 2 turning) a few years fro 50 baht (probably gone up now).

There's a large mountain bike place on Sam Lan Road, inside the moat, opposite Wat Phra Singh. They specialize in downhill mountain biking tours, (the bikes are very good and well-maintained) - you might be able to rent a bike from them for the day.....

To find these places, have a look at this map:

www.thailand-travel-help.com/chiang-mai-information.html (the mountain biking place on Sam Lan Road is number 113 on the map, 'Mr Beer' is very close to number 11 (Chiang Mai Saloon) on the map....

Yeah!!

I did the loop yesterday morning starting from Huay Kaew Rd in clockwise direction. I found the climb more demanding than Phuping palace. I have to give credits to whoever who chose the location and built those rest sheds because those are the points where I began to feel the strain on my legs and heart :)

My son (26 years) and his g/f are coming to visit next week. He's a keen cyclist and might want to do the loop. Does anybody know where they could rent a pair of good mountain bikes for such an exercise?

/ Priceless

Cacti bike Mr. Sak (google)